Status: Under Construction: Rewrite coming in 2014

Masquerade

Chapter Five: Zachary Hartenger

Damn! Even in the human world with a spell that is supposed to weaken his control over humans Derek still has more power. The intolerable problem of the matter is that he has control over me as well. He targeted my prey, but I would not let him win.

I researched Rhiannon Smith for years. I successfully made her cousin, Jack, an ally without controlling him. Her relatives adored my manners and my person. On several occasions it was suggested that I should take Jack’s sister, Jane, as a bride. While Jane was a shy beauty, she was wary of my friendship with her family. The only reason that Jane has not fallen into a severe accident that may have had a fatal ending is that she is Rhiannon’s favorite. There was something about the temperament of the Smith girl that made her more noteworthy. For instance, when she was approximately fourteen she blackened her brother’s eye before bloodying his nose for reasons unknown to Jack’s family; my curiosity towards her feisty behaviors would not be contained forever, and that would be Rhiannon’s downfall on my behalf.

“Zach! Are you there,” someone called through the door. I shook the thoughts from my mind as I opened my door.

“Derek,” I smiled at my so called friend. “To what do I owe the pleasure of your presence?”

“My mother’s funeral is today,” he answered coldly. “And Christopher is returning. He will compete for my father’s throne just as every other male will compete against us.”

“What is the problem with him competing?”

“He will disgrace me, Zach. I will no longer have a head to hold high if Christopher wins,” he sighed.

“He is your brother. He will not kill you, Derek,” I rolled my eyes. Derek’s anger grew.

“I am his father’s illegitimate son. I am the product of a royal and a human. Christopher is a full demon, and he hates me with every inch of his being,” he explained while trying to keep his demeanor calm.

“I know!”

“What is the matter with you, Zachary? You have never appeared to be so uncaring,” Derek growled.

I sighed, “I apologize, dear friend. The upcoming events have me shaken, and I’m afraid I am projecting my bottled up anxieties on you.” I held out my hand in a peace offering. Derek’s lips pulled into a soft smile as he took my hand.

“I forgive you, Zach. You must try to keep your temper under control.”

“Thank you. Now, shall we through your brother a proper welcome home party like your father would expect, or shall we use the excuse that we were too busy preparing for your mother’s funeral,” I asked with a sly grin across my face.

“Mother’s funeral,” Derek answered with a grave expression. Who would’ve thought the son of a Demon king would be born with a heart?

“Dress in your black suit and we shall attend. I will stand by your side so you seem less human.”

“Alright,” Derek agreed as he left to get dressed.

“Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer,” I said to myself as I pulled out my own black suit. Funerals were only held for humans, and this was the first human we buried in five years. The strong willed humans always made the best pets for future kings to bring home considering they always lasted longer. That is why Rhiannon Smith would be mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment for more. This story is going to be based only on the comments it gets.