Scavengers Game

I

My crew sat anxiously on our toes. The sun was ducking below the clouds leaving a dim light around the ruins. I looked behind me. The faces of thirty starving men and women looked eagerly at me for direction. I was the only hope they had.

Nineteen years ago the world just kind of froze in place, and then like something out of a movie everything was gone. Towns lay in ruins, people everywhere were dead. And the people who survived were armed at the best supplied areas. I was alone. I was in the middle of nowhere when I had seen a family of four. By the time I got to them the children, a boy and a girl, were nearly skin and bones.

That’s when I started this scavenging game. That family needed help, it wasn’t safe to enter the towns, and the inhabitants have theories about us scavengers. No one is allowed into or out of the town. Once I snuck into Arcadia, the main hub, and got food for that famished family word started to spread.

Some people called me an angel, others of course a devil. I’ve become called Robin, after Robin Hood. After word spread, word got around that I could use some help, and now I’ve got a crew.

Some nomads heard too, and now they’ve got their own crew. I don’t have a home, I scavenge for a living.

“Robin!” Yelled a girl from behind me. I looked up, alert.

The sun had sunk to the depths of the earth. I jumped up on my feet. “Go!”

Like an army we ran, padding together step in step. Like starving animals we galloped until I saw the remains of Brooklyn. I raised my arms in the air and waved forward. Our arms were propelling us forward.

On the perch outside of the gate stood tall. Light illuminated out from inside. I flipped off the guard knowing he saw me. Dirt clouded up past my crew. The gate was old, but strong. One after another we jumped on it like monkeys, the chains rattled and we heaved ourselves over the tall gate. We thudded down.

The ruins were depressing. Houses had been demolished into piles of rocks. A few houses remained among the dirt roads. My worn trainers pounded against the ground. No one was out; they never were at night, because they knew we would come.

I lead the herd to the large building. We flooded through the dark hall. We stopped in a huddle outside a double-door. I silenced everyone. Once our breaths steadied I pushed through. Someone sat up in bed, the president.

“Hey!” He screamed stumbling to turn on the light.

I jumped. “Mick! Get Him!” I commanded and the large man tackled Brooklyn’s president to the ground.

“Harry, Ruby, Luke, Paul go to the kitchen. Beck, Frankie, Wendy, Joel go to the armory. Leo and Bert stay with me, keep the president quiet.” They nodded and went to their designated areas.

I left the light out, seeing only vague shapes. I was walking toward the president when I felt a strong hand on my shoulder. “Robin.”

“Yeah, Leo?”

“The Hounds are here.” My eyes widened.

“Abort!” I yelled.

“We can take them, though.”

“I know, but it’s not worth it today. Get out before they see us grab what you can!” I yelled grabbing sheets off the bed. “Mick, let him go…actually grab him take him with us.”
I heard him grunt in response.
“Let’s get out!” I yelled. We raced out and were navigating the roads when I saw the Hounds.
I stood still. Mick stood beside me, the wriggling president behind him.

I saw the guard tower behind the rival gang. The light shining behind their leader. “Sebastian.” I said

He looked up. “Robin.”

“Are we going to have any trouble?” I said, in a way so Sebastian knew that we knew we could easily take down his hounds.

“No. Not today, as long as you let the president go.”

“Why would I do that? You want him?”

“No, but these people need someone to tell them what to do.” He shrugged, scratching through his messy hair.

“Why does that matter, you’re a scavenger too. We’re alike.”

“It’s only right that we give them a fair chance.” He stepped closer to me. “Put him down.”

I shook my head and spit on his face. His mouth dropped open and he wiped the liquid off his face.

“You asked for it Robin.” He spat, raising his arms. “Get them!”

I chuckled. “Mick, take the president out of here, guys show them who’s who!” I screamed and to both my sides we clashed. I eyed Sebastian while I heard thuds and bangs.

“Me and you then.” I said, licking my lips.

“I don’t hit girls.” He smiled.

I reached behind me, fingering the blade in my belt. “That’s too bad, it would be better if this was fair.” I watched my men and women tackled the Hounds.

“Are you going to fight for your men?” He looked around them.

“I’d do anything for them.” I grabbed the blade and the light reflected off of it as like lightning I pushed it into his chest, pressing past his soft flesh and into his heart.

He choked, blood pouring out of his mouth. He collapsed, falling onto the ground. I fell with him. He looked at me with weary eyes. Red liquid seeped from under the blade. I held his head in my hands and pet his head. “Shhhh.” I said as he struggled to speak. “I’m sorry. This is how it had to happen.” I looked down at him, gasping to grab air.

I closed my eyes, and he stopped wriggling. I pulled the knife out, standing. The fight had stopped. Everyone stared. I stood tall, my shadow taller.

“This is what happens! We fight for the same things! I’ll leave you a choice. You can join my men or you can fight for your freedom.” I spoke, my men carrolled behind me. Slowly some of the Hounds joined me.

Only one stood behind his fallen leader.

“Have you made your choice?”

He nodded, his eyes closed.

“And you’re sure?”

He nodded again, breathing heavily.

“What’s your name?”

“Carson.”

“You’re loyal Carson. That’s respectable. I won’t kill you. Leo, tie him. Everyone else, kill the trader Hounds!” I walked, hearing the rage behind me. Leo tapped me.

“Why are you killing them?”

“Mercy is a trait I can’t have anymore. They’re traders. We’ll keep him.” I nodded towards the boy on his knees beside Sebastian. I heard a scream behind me. “He’s loyal.”

Leo gulped. He was new; he didn’t yet understand how things worked. Life was a game. A game I had gotten good at. “You can make sure that all the Hounds are gone, I’ll take the boy.” He sulked away, into the fury.

I kneeled beside the boy, aged about nineteen. “I’m sorry you had to see that clearly he mattered to you.” He nodded, keeping his head down.

“He was my father.”

I swallowed sorrow. “Well, that’s awful. Have you changed your mind, then?” He looked up, his sorrowful eyes looking at me. His eyes widened.

“You’re a girl.”

“Really, news to me.” I joked.

“No, I mean, Sebastian always spoke of you as this strong, fierce, empathetic warrior and I guess I just thought you were a boy.”

“No.”

“I have respect for you Robin. You care about them. But I can’t fight for your crew, not after you killed my father.” He spoke slowly.

“Have you any last words or wishes?”

“I want you to do it.”

“Why?”

“It’s only fair.” He spoke, laying down beside his father and wrapping his hand with his.
“Are you sure?” I blinked.

He nodded, and I grabbed the sword from my belt. I held it above his heart, the tip skimming his skin. I bit my lip. I huffed and pulled the knife away.

“Leo!” The boy sat up. “Leo, tie him!” Leo ran up with ropes, and flung the boy over his shoulder.

“You’re a coward! A coward!” He cried.

“Leo, go back to camp with Mick, we’re going back to hunt. C’mon guys!”
♠ ♠ ♠
:3 Please don't be a silent reader :)