Final Destination

Chapter 1: Return to Hogwarts

Toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!

The high, shrill sound resounded around the platform.

"Go!!"

I gave Mum one more hug before I climbed onto the Hogwarts Express. "'Bye, Mum!! See you next summer!!" I called.

"Have fun!!" she cried, waving like crazy. "Don' hurt yerself!!"

"'Byyye!" The train sped up and clambered out of sight of the platform. I grabbed my trunk and Kavi's cage and started making my way to an empty compartment. All of them were full, and it was my second time down the hallway before I found one with room for me.

"Hey, is anyone sitting there?" I asked, gesturing towards the open seat awkwardly with the hand holding my owl's cage, and making her squawk in protest. "Everywhere else's full."

"Oh, of course!" Just then I realized that this compartment held Ginny, her brother Ron, and--
Harry Potter.

I swear I must've went a deep scarlet red, or at least had a heat attack or something, because suddenly my face was all warm. "Thanks," I muttered, placing Kavi's cage on the seat so I could struggle with getting my trunk into the storage compartment.

I felt pathetic, because I could hardly even lift it off the ground, let alone above the seat.

"Here, let me help."

Harry himself grabbed my truck and easily heaved it up with the others. I felt myself growing red again, and with another muttered "Thanks" I sat down, moving Kavi's cage onto my lap.

"This is Baylee Mouse; she's in my year," Ginny introduced me.

"Oh, yeah, I've seen you around Gryffindor common room," Ron said.

"Yeah, so have I," Harry said. "You're usually working, aren't you?"

I flushed scarlet and shrugged.

"Another Hermione!" Ron said.

"I don't work that much..." the girl with way-bushy hair--presumably Hermione-- protested.

"Yes you do," a boy in the corner said.

"See, Neville even agrees with me!" Ron cried gleefully, obviously enjoying tormenting Hermione.

Hermione opened her mouth to ptortest, but Harry interrupted her. "So, you like to focus on school?"

I flushed again, feeling that if I kept doing so my face would be permanently red, at being directly addressed by the Harry Potter, and answered, "Well, not exactly..."

"She does her own thing," Ginny explained. "I mean, she's the best in our year, but she spends a lot of time off on her own making plans."

"It's nothing special," I said quickly.

To my relief they didn't pursue the subject, and went off into their own.

"I still think we shouldn't've returned..." Harry muttered. "Well, I shouldn't've returned. I should have gone searching...." He stopped when Hermione shot him a warning look, glancing at me in the process.

"Who knows how bad this year's gonna be without Dumbledore...?" Neville moaned.

"It's going to be horrible," Hermione said.

"Especially with Voldemort on the loose," Harry said, ignoring Hermione's sound of protest and glance at me.

I swallowed deeply but didn't say anything at You-Know-Who's name. Harry continued, "Now that Dumbledore's... dead... he's going to be able to get into the school. This year might be as bad--worse than when the Chamber of Secrets was open. Not only will Muggle-borns be endangered.... Nearly everyone will...."

"Second year was nothing compared to the invasion of the Death Eaters last year," Ron protested.

"Yeah, I guess you've forgotten about the spiders then," Hermione said.

Ron glared at her.

"Well, on the plus side," Neville said, "no Snape this year!"

"Nor Malfoy," Hermione said with false joy.

Harry, correctly interpreting her tone of voice, said, "It's still going to be horrible."

I fought an internal battle for a few minutes at least, and, finally resolved, said, "Anything you're planning on doing, I'll help with."

They all looked surprised, but Harry, controlling himself quickly, nodded and said, "Of
course." He smiled. "Thanks."

"We'd better change into our robes," Hermione said, "I'm sure we're getting close to Hogwarts." Sure enough, it was getting darker and harder to see out the windows.

"Firs' years!" Hagrid's voice sounded muffled and much less jolly than usual. "Firs' years, over here!"

I looked over at him. His hair was longer and, if possible, more untidy than usual, and he had large bags under his eyes.

The crowd pushed me towards the large carriages led by the thestrals. I paused by one of the large horses, and it turned its large white eyes on me dully. I reached out and patted it, running my hand over its bony black body and wings. It nuzzled my hand comfortingly for a second, and then I climbed into the carriage.

"Were you just petting the thestral?" Harry asked me as he followed me in.

"Oh--um--well--" I muttered. "It..."

Ginny came in behind Harry. "She has a sad history," she muttered to him.

"It's--comforting," I said.

"Oh," Harry said, looking slightly doubtful. I knew what he was thinking: How could the thestrals be comforting?

But my history explained that. As my father was killed two years ago by a Death Eater, one of the Hogwarts thestrals had flown over my home, and landed in my backyard. It had stayed there until after my father's funeral. Now...Now, it just comforted me to see it, to touch it....
Hermione, Ron, and Neville had boarded the carriage by now. I slid down the seat to make room for them, and they sank into them with deep sighs.

"I wonder how horrible the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher will be this year," Ron moaned.

The carriages set off, rattling through the dementor-imposed fog toward the school, which looked dark and uninhabited. I stared out the window, watching it draw closer, not listening to the others' conversation about possible new teachers.

As we tramped into the school, I noticed a car parked a bit away from the entrance, almost hidden by the mist. Since when did Hogwarts have cars, let alone shiny, new-looking Volvos? This didn't bode well to me.

The Entrance Hall was draped in black hangings, and the other rooms that I could see through open doors were decorated the same way.

I sat with Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Ginny at the Gryffindor table and waited patiently until the first-years arrived.

"Hey!" Ron hissed. "Crabbe and Goyle aren't here this year either!"

"And look at that," Hermione muttered. "Slughorn's still here.... And" --she frowned-- "there's no D.A.D.A. teacher.... The new Transfiguration teacher is" --her eyebrows raised-- "Tonks?!"

"Tonks?!" Harry repeated, immediately looking up at the table. The lady in the chair next to McGonagall was waving merrily at Harry with a big smile on her face. Harry didn't recognize her face, but he did recognize the attitude.

"How can you tell?" Ron said drily.

My eyes scanned the teachers' table and I realized with interest that there was an extra chair.

The chatter in the Hall ceased abruptly as the first years were led inside by Professor
Flitwick. They looked terrified--much as I knew I had when I'd entered on my first day here; unknowing what would happen, wondering vaguely if I would be excepted, fearing that the Hat wouldn't be able to Sort me, would just say, "Oh, I'm sorry, there must have been a mistake, you don't belong here!" Similar, though I didn't know at the time, to all the other first years' thoughts.

Flitwick departed for a moment, but soon returned carrying a stool and the Sorting Hat. He laid it on the floor in front of the teachers' table and backed away, pulling out a large scroll in preparation.

The Hall lay in silence for a few moments, until the Hat's brim opened wide into a mouth.

"I might not seem that tasteful,
Or all that new, for sure,
But I have been assigned a task,
A task one must endure.
By dear old Gryffindor,
I was instructed to do this:
Sort all new students into their House,
To spend their schoolyears in bliss.
But this plan isn't so simple now,
No, there's something truely wrong,
For the Wizard world is not united,
As it had been all along.
I'm sure you'd like to know,
What I'm talking about,
But you'll have to see for yourself,
For I have a job to do, without a doubt.
Now, Gryffindor requires brave and bold,
Sure to stand straight and tall,
Slytherin holds cunning and stealth,
Jumping right back up at a fall.
Ravenclaw is for the smart,
Who know more than all since,
And Hufflepuff is nice and good,
Now may the Sorting please commence."

A cheer rang among the students, and the first years began to file through the process.

"Jerome Apple," Professor Flitwick squeaked.

"Slytherin!" the Sorting Hat bellowed. The Sorting passed quickly, and once the last first-year was done --"Zarnan, Alicia!" "Hufflepuff!"--, Professor Flitwick carried the stool off the stage, and Professor McGonagall stood up from the Headmaster's chair and the Hall grew silent.

"This year will be tough," she got straight to the point, "and I am certain the Sorting Hat was correct in advising us to band together. Our loss last year is reason enough to do so.
"On a lighter note, I am pleased to introduce our new Transfiguration teacher, Nymphadora Tonks." She scowled when Tonks jumped up, knocking over her chair, and waved merrily at the Hall in general. When Tonks sat down again after righting the chair, Professor McGonagall continued.

"I am sure we are all frightened out of our minds with You-Know-Who terrorizing the magical community, and I am pleased to announce that we somewhat do have protection...."
Flitwick jumped up onto his chair as if on cue and squeaked: "All the way from Forks, Washington, America, please welcome our guests this year!"

I burst into giggles.

"McGonagall obviously didn't want to say that herself, so she got Flitwick to do it for her," Ginny whispered. People all throughout the hall were giggling and whispering, some looking around to see who Flitwick was talking about.

Professor McGonagall cleared her throat loudly, and the hall fell silent again. "I am sure we will all be on our best behavior for our guests--and new teacher," she said pointedly. "First impressions are everything." Her mouth was in a tight frown.

The hall was quiet, looking towards the doors at the end. After a while most of the students were distracted by something or other somewhere else in the hall, and the many gazes had reverted elsewhere. Personally, mine had gone to the ceiling, where stars twinkled merrily.
Suddenly the doors flew opened, and in their frames stood seven people; three boys and four girls. Well, two boys, one man, three girls, and one woman of about 23 years old. The males were exceptionally gorgeous, maybe too gorgeous, and the girls were all beautiful--well, except for one, who was just...pretty. They all (besides the man and woman) looked to be about my age.

They began to walk down the hall between the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws, who were all staring at them, transfixed, obviously, by their beauty. When they got to the teachers' table, Professor McGonagall shook each of their hands in turn, a thin smile now on her face.
"Welcome to Hogwarts," she said, and then turned to us students. "I would like to introduce our new guests," she said. "Edward"--one of the boys raised his hand nonchalantly--"Jasper"--another smiled, and I felt myself grow very happy, and forgot all my fears of this year--"Emmett"--the biggest boy made a small waving motion--"Esme"--the woman smiled warmly, motherly--"Alice"--one of the girls smiled largely and waved merrily at everyone--"and Rosalie Cullen"--another of the girls waved nonchalantly--"and Isabella Swan."

"Bella," the plain girl corrected politely.

"She skipped one," I muttered, looking at the man, who, frankly, seemed as young as the woman Esme.

"She's getting to him," Harry murmured.

"I am also pleased to welcome back our newest Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Carlisle Cullen, who will be assisted in his lessons by Esme, his wife." Professor McGonagall finished.

The man smiled broadly. I saw Alice lean over to whisper to Edward, who shrugged, looking mystified, then whispered back in Alice's ear.

Professor McGonagall said, "Well, now that our guests and new teachers have been introduced, I would like to inform first years and remind others that the Forbidden Forest is strictly off-limits. Also, some new rules have been set for this year. There will be NO late-night wandering, on the punishment of suspension from the school. I am positive you all are willing to keep your limbs intact, so this rule will be strictly enforced. Students will be expected to report to their dormitories BY seven o'clock every night.

"Mr. Filch would also like me to remind you of a few items that are prohibited from the corridors, including anything from Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes. The full list is still posted on Mr. Filch's office door for those who would like to check it. He would also like me to remind you that magic is strictly prohibited anywhere outside the classrooms.

"Our guests will remain the full year, and they will help defend ourselves against any possible You-Know-Who attacks. I hope you will remain on your best behavior this year, so as to make a good impression on them.

"Now, I believe some Sorting is in order?"

The Sorting Hat was brought back out. Professor McGonagall said, "So, who would like to go first?"

The group looked at each other, and Alice raised her hand. "I will!"

"Okay," McGonagall said, "sit on the stool and put the Sorting Hat on."

Alice did so, and immediately the hat screamed "Gryffindor!" across the hall. The table erupted in cheers.

Rosalie went next -"Ravenclaw!"-, then Bella -"Ravenclaw!"-, then Edward -"Ravenclaw!"-, then Emmett -"Slytherin!"-, and lastly Jasper -"Hufflepuff!"-.
"We only got one," Hermione said disappointedly, as McGonagall sent the group to the tables. "Ravenclaw got three!"

Her face had a smile on it again soon enough, for Alice had chosen to sit right next to me.

"Hello!" Alice cried, sliding onto the bench.

"Hello," Neville said, a bit breathlessly.

"Oh!" she exclaimed, making everyone jump. "You shouldn't eat the pork tonight!"

"What?" Ron said.

"The pork--one of your ghosts put something in it!"

"Uhh..." Ron threw a look at Harry.

"Well, then," McGonagall said over the voices, "I guess it's time to eat! Enjoy your meals!"

She took her seat, and Carlisle and Esme sat in seats next to each other. The teachers around them leaned in to speak to them, and there was suddenly food covering the tables.
I heeded Alice's warning about the pork, though I was somewhat confused about how she knew that a ghost (Peeves, presumably) had done something to it. Ron, however, did not heed it, and a few minutes after he started eating his face was covered in hives.

"Are you allergic to anything?" Hermione asked.

"No!!" Ron cried, feeling his face frantically.

Alice shook her head. "I warned you," she said.

All up the table students were breaking into hives and screaming. "You can See?" I asked Alice.

Divination was one of my least favorite subjects, mostly because it was taught by Professor Trelawney.

"Yep."

"Well, it seems as if you're good at it," Ginny said, laughing at Ron.

"If you were older, you could probably replace Trelawney," Harry said almost hopefully.
Alice seemed to find this amusing.

I took a big bite out of a chicken leg, privately looking forward to whatever this year would bring.

I was feeling very full when Proffesor McGonagal stood up and said, "Now that you are all well fed, you may head on off to bed. Fifth-year prefects please lead first years to your common rooms. Sixth-year prefects may lead our guests to your common rooms. Good night."

I stood, and Alice stood with me. The other prefect in my year, Zachary Ryven, came up to me, glancing anxiously at the staff table on the way. "Hey, Bayl, could you show her the way? I've got to go talk to Proffesor Flitwick for a sec."

"Of course," I said. "No prob."

Alice smiled at him, and he froze in his spot for a second, until he remembered that he had to talk to Flitwick. "Thanks," he muttered, escaping into the crowd.

"Come on," I said, leading Alice from the hall. "It's up here."

We took the quickest route to Gryffindor Tower, and after the Fat Lady opened for us with the password "Stand my ground", I led Alice up to the sixth-year dormitory.

"I guess she wanted you to stay with us sixth-years, then," I said. There WAS an extra bed in our dormitory, anyway.

"That's cool," Alice said, sitting on the unoccupied bed.

I slipped into my nightdress and collapsed onto my own bed. "Man, I'm tired," I muttered, and then I was fast asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wonder why all the closing parentheses became smileys....