Dunsage Diaries

Chapter III

The next morning, Falmore awoke feeling better than he had felt in a long time. He did not feel as thin as he had done the previous day. This was due to the unnervingly large feast he had consumed the night before. He couldn't help feel disgusted with himself however. Even though he knew he was a prisoner of the 'Grand Master' of some mysterious clan he could not remember, he still ate their food. He was too hungry to care where the food came from at the time.

He felt a chaffing around his neck and put his hand up to figure out what was causing him to be so uncomfortable. His hand touched a cold metal collar. He had a flashback of the night before when the Grand Master had chanted something in a familiar tongue and this collar suddenly appeared around his neck in a flash of blinding light.

He had to wonder how these people were performing such acts. First the man in the cell with the glowing stone fist, then the feast had disappeared then reappeared. Now this. What were they? Did they have some kind of supernatural powers? It must be something to do with those words they chant. Something strange always seemed to happen after they had chanted. It still troubled Falmore how he found the tongue they used for the chants to be so familiar.

Maybe he could do what they can do in a past life? They seemed to be wary of him, whoever he was before now.

That person didn't matter anymore. He could not remember anything of his past life and even if he did, he had no choice but to continue being this, 'Grand Master''s puppet. The collar around his neck prevented him from becoming who he used to be.

The door of his cell opened with a loud creek and a man stood in the light that flooded the room. "Up you get. It's time to go, rebel." The voice was rough and didn't sound pleasant.

The gaoler was not an attractive man. He had pox marks all over his face, a hooked nose with a wart on the end of it. One eye seemed to be larger than the other which gave a man a hideous complexion. He had a hump on the top of his back and was bent over so much that he was in trouble of falling forward onto his face at any given moment.

The ugly man lead Falmore through a series of corridors that all looked the same, down serveral amounts of staircases and finally out through a gate onto a courtyard.

This was the first time Falmore had seen daylight and smelled the fresh air since he awoke. He could taste salt in the air and hear waves crashing up against rocks. He was on an island?

The Grand Master stood beside a decent enough looking horse. "Good to see you, Mr. Dunsage. I hope you are prepared for the journey ahead?"

"I would be if I had the slightest clue as to where it is that I am going," retorted Falmore.

"There is no need to be rude. I have told you that I will point you in the direction you need to go."

"How am I to survive on such a journey? I have no food or water."

The Grand Master laughed. "We will give you supplies for your journey, Mr. Dunsage. Oh and by the way. If you do start remembering who you are and decide to back to your own ways..."

He began chanting. This chant seemed more menacing than the others he had heard before. Suddenly, the collar around Falmore's neck began emitting a screeching noise. A sharp pain went down his spine which cause him to collapse on the ground. He wriggled on the ground in blinding pain for what seemed like an eternity. Just as suddenly as the pain began, it stopped again.

"That is what will happen if you choose to defy my plans, Mr. Dunsage. Are we clear?"

Falmore struggled for breath. The collar seemed to be tighter around his neck that it once was.

"I said are we clear?" asked the Grand Master again.

When Falmore did not answer, once more the Grand Master began chanting and the pain began again. This time it was getting stronger and stronger with each passing second until Falmore plucked the will to scream, "IT'S CLEAR! IT'S CLEAR!"

The pain stopped.

"I am glad to hear that, Mr. Dunsage. Best not make me angry. I like to inflict pain when I'm angry."

"I will make sure not to anger you, Grand Master." choked out Falmore, holding the collar around his neck, struggling for breath.

"Good. The dog learns quickly. You will take a boat over to the mainland where one of my disciples will be waiting for you. Here we have a horse for you, with adequate supplies for your journey. I hope you fair well. And most importantly, Mr. Dunsage, make damn sure you bring back my Amulet!"

Two mean in hooded cloaks lifted Falmore to his feet and dragged him to the docks. The ship was waiting for them. The men dragging him threw him onto the deck. They treated the bloody horse better than they treated him, he thought.

Falmore rose to his feet just as the ship was taking off. He could not escape the feeling that something bad was going to happen. He did not like the power the Grand Master had over him, especially with the collar around his neck.

That old familiar irrational fear began making its way up from the pit of his stomach.