Dunsage Diaries

Chapter V

Whilst regaining consciousness the only thing Falmore could think of was what had transpired moments ago. He remembered getting angry at the constant battery from the fireballs and then all of a sudden a burst of energy emitted from his body. How did he do that? It was like something the Grand Master and his disciples or whatever he likes to call them can do. Only he never chanted any words. How could he? He did not know the language, and even if he did know it, he wasn’t aware of the phrases or chants necessary to do such things.

But here he was, having done some sort of wizardry himself.
He suddenly realised that his horse, his supplies, had run off into the trees during the incident. “My horse!” he exclaimed aloud.

“Never worry about your horse Falmore. I have her here,“ said a voice from within the trees ahead. “It’s a good thing I dodged that blast of yours, elsewise your horse would have disappeared. “

The owner of the voice came out from the trees leading Falmore’s horse by the reigns. He recognised him immediately as the man who was in his cell that first night he had awaked on the island, the same man that the Grand Master said that he had history with. It annoyed him how he could not recall this said history with this man.

“Thank you for getting my horse. What is your name?” Falmore asked.

The man laughed a vaguely familiar sounding laugh. “I forgot that you could not recall who I was. If you must know, my name is Honnar. That may ring some bells in that seemingly now empty head of yours, old friend.”

Old friend? And no, it didn’t ring any bells. “That name means nothing to me, I’m sorry.”

“That saddens me,” Honnar said.

“Were you the one who was throwing those fireballs at me?” Falmore asked.

“Yes. I had to test you to see if your, skills are not forgotten also.”
“My skills?”

“Yes, your skills. Why do you think the Grand Master was so adamant to have you on his side? You were revered in this land, Falmore, once upon a time.” Honnar explained.

Falmore was puzzled. “What kind of person was I...before? How was I able to produce such a thing without your people’s chants? I don’t understand.”

Honnar laughed. “It’s best not to question such things and just forget about them. I’m quite sure that your collar there will not be happy if you start remembering things about your past life.”
That was probably true. The pain he felt just before he left the island on the ship was unbearable. That much he remembered. He would be happy never to experience that ever again.

“I felt my anger bubbling up and then that happened. I did not know such things were possible,” Falmore mused.

“Almost anything is possible here, Mr. Dunsage. We better get off this dock and head to the next town before nightfall,” said Honnar. “You would not be fond of the things that come out at night around these parts.”

“What kinds of things come out at night here?” asked Falmore.
Honnar’s complexion became darker almost at once. “Things your mind cannot comprehend, Mr. Falmore, especially if you do not understand, and since you cannot remember anything of your past life, you’re safest option is to be inside and soon.”

He did not like the sound of that so he agreed to journey to the next town. Falmore grabbed the reigns of his horse and nodded to Honnar to tell him he was ready to go.

They walked through the trees and shrubbery. The grass grew halfway up their legs and walking was strenuous. Regardless, they walked and walked for what felt like an age. Falmore’s legs were beginning to hurt. “Is it much farther?”

“Just over this hill, Mr. Dunsage,” Honnar said back.

It was a small town with around twenty buildings, if even. It looked like a peaceful little place in amongst the hills. The sky was beginning to darken and the lights from the buildings were turned on, candles in each window. Falmore took a moment to take in his surroundings. It felt like home.

“We best find a place to spend the night,” said Honnar. “We shall find an inn and get some food and a warm bed.”

Nothing sounded better to Falmore. He could not recall what if felt like to be warm, or have a comfy bed. The mattress they had given him in his cell had been stuffed with straw so it was lumpy in places and was a nightmare to sleep on. He was getting good at blacking out, and he sort of liked it because it was the only time he got anything near to a decent sleep.

They found an inn and tied the horse up in its stables with some feed. The inn was small but homely. A fire was roaring in a hearth in the corner of the room. The bar was in the centre of the room with a tall, thin man behind it. All the tables were empty.

“Quiet tonight, my friend,” said Honnar. More of a statement than a question.

“It’s quiet here most nights stranger. A room is it?” The innkeeper was beginning to bald, Falmore noticed. He had a weary look about him, almost scared.

“Yes, two beds if they are available. And a mug of ale and perhaps some hot food to warm our bellies?” asked Honnar.

“The beds I can do. As for the ale and food, you will have to go elsewhere. I have barely enough here to feed myself.”

“The beds will do fine then.”

The innkeeper handed Honnar the keys with a curious look. His eyes caught Falmore’s and suddenly he seemed scared, and ran off to the back.

“What was that?” asked Falmore, confused as to what just happened.

“People will recognise you on this journey, Mr Dunsage. Best get used to it and not question it.” Honnar pointed to the collar.

Something told Falmore that he will feel the pain of the collar once more before the end of his journey. They climbed the steps into the room. It was a basic room, with just the two beds occupying the space.

“Get some sleep Falmore. We have a long journey tomorrow.”

As soon as his head touched the pillow, Falmore fell into a deep sleep.