Sequel: Hell Hath No Fury
Status: Active

Trust Issues

Chapter 8

Kate hurried down the bright corridor towards her room, a million different thoughts running through her mind. What were Tony and Bruce so concerned about? If Loki was a god, why didn’t he just escape? And, if he did escape, what would he do to her? Kate shook her head as if to clear her thoughts and continued down the hallway until she came to her door. She swiped her access card and the door slid open soundlessly. Kate hurried through the door, which promptly slid shut behind her. Once inside, she leaned against the wall, closed her eyes, and took a deep, steadying breath. She then wearily pushed herself away from the wall and made her way to the small bathroom on the other side of the room. She turned on the sink and proceeded to splash her face with cold water, attempting to calm her nerves. She reached for a towel, and as she was drying herself off, she stared at her reflection in the mirror above the sink with a mixture of disgust and confusion. What does he see in me? she thought as she glared at her reflection. Unremarkable blue eyes stared back. The dark brown hair that framed her face was shoulder length, curly and...ordinary. She was taller than average and in shape, but by no means skinny. Kate shook her head in frustration. She had never garnered as much attention as she seemed to be getting from Loki. After all he was an extremely handsome man...god. Why would he possibly be attracted to a plain Jane like her? Sure, he wanted revenge for her betrayal, but Kate felt as if there was something more to Loki’s obsession with her. She was about to think on that thought in greater depth, when a shuddering boom jolted the Helicarrier, knocking Kate painfully against the wall of the bathroom and onto the floor. Dazed, Kate gripped the edge of the sink and began pulling herself up, but froze when she heard a loud roar echo through the ship. Kate’s eyes widened.
“What the hell?” She muttered as she pulled herself into a standing position before running back into her room to grab her gun and her communicator. She made her way quickly out of her room and began running down the corridor towards where the sound of the explosion had come from. As she was running, she put her communicator in her ear and activated it.
“Agent Poole to the Bridge. Director Fury, do you copy?”
“Poole! Where the hell have you been?”
“I was in my quarters, sir when I heard the explosion. What the hell was that?”
“Loki’s men have come to pick him up.” He replied sarcastically. “They blew out one of our main propellers. Stark and Rogers are out there now trying to repair the damage before we lose anymore altitude.” He paused, and she heard a volley of gunfire in the back round. “Whats your current location, Poole?”
“I’m on deck two, sir.” There was another pause, followed by more gunfire.
“Ok. Your job is to track down any of Loki’s goons and take them out. They are spread throughout the ship wreaking massive havoc. Our backup security programs show two of them heading toward the cargo bay. Probably looking for spare weapons.
“You want me to kill them?”
“No. Just slow them down. All of them seem to be under Loki’s control, and a few of them are even our own men. They don’t deserve to die because of what Loki has turned them into.”
“Yes, sir.” She replied calmly. “Anything else?”
“Just...be careful, Agent Poole.”
“Will do, sir.” She replied as she turned off her communicator and ran full speed towards the cargo hold, unholstering her gun as she went.

Loki smirked as the doors to his cell slid open. Free at last. He thought to himself as he made his way towards the open door of his cage, but right as he stepped over the threshold, his oaf of a brother burst into the room, Mjölnir raised in preparation for a fight.
“Loki!” His brother bellowed as he charged towards him. Loki rolled his eyes and lowered himself into a fighting stance. But right before Thor reached him, he vanished. Thor was carried by his momentum into the self-same cage from which Loki had just escaped. The door slid shut behind him and locked with a hiss. Loki appeared again next to the control panel on the other side of the room and stared and Thor, an expression of mock confusion on his pale face.
“Are you ever not going to fall for that?” Thor yelled and banged Mjölnir against the glass wall of the cell in response, leaving a large crack in it’s wake. Loki smiled in amused satisfaction. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. He thought to himself. “The humans think us immortal.” He stated as he moved closer to the control panel, never taking his gaze off his “brother.” “Shall we test that theory?” He questioned as his hand hovered over the big red button that would release the cell when pressed. When Thor didn’t respond, Loki smiled and lowered his hand towards the button...
“Move away please.” Loki turned abruptly to the source of the voice and was faced with an amusing sight. One of the puny little human agents stood not 10 feet away with a massive cannon-like gun clutched in his hands. Loki would have smiled were it not for the fact that he recognized this particular agent. He was the one who had so rudely interrupted his conversation with Kate not two hours ago. Loki did not like being interrupted.
“You like this?” The mortal questioned. “We started working on the prototype after you sent the Destroyer. Even I don’t know what it does.” He switched the gun on. “Care to find out.” But before Coulson could even fire the gun, Loki appeared behind him and stabbed him through the heart with his scepter. Coulson grunted in surprise and Thor yelled in rage.
“That was for interrupting me.” He whispered in the dying man’s ear before he let him fall to the floor. He calmly stepped over the body and made his way back over to the control panel again. He turned his gaze once more to his brother. Thor stared back at him not with hatred, but with disappointment as he moved towards the center of the cage, resigned to what was to come. Loki pressed the button without a second thought and watched his brother drop rapidly from view. Loki stepped away from the controls, a satisfied look on his face. He turned to leave the room, but was stopped short by a quiet voice.
“You’re going to loose.” Loki turned to see the bothersome agent leaning weakly up against the wall.
“Why?” Loki questioned.
“It’s in your nature.” The dying man replied.
“Your heroes are scattered. Your floating fortress falls from the sky. Where is my disadvantage?”
“You lack conviction.” Loki stared at the man in confusion.
“I don’t think I...” But Loki was cut short as Coulson fired the gun at him and sent him flying across the room and through the wall. Loki got up slowly and painfully and brushed the dust and debris off of his armor with angry strokes. He turned back towards Coulson, thinking to finish the fool off once and for all, but thought better of it. He made his way to the door and walked casually into the corridor. It was finally time to claim his prize. Time to find Kate.

Kate reached the door of the cargo hold and swiped her card. The door opened and she stared into the black hole that was the massive Helicarrier’s cargo hold.
“Great.” She muttered as she stepped through the door, which promptly shut right behind her, plunging her into complete darkness. She took a small flashlight off of her belt and switched it on before turning to look for the lighting controls. She found them located near the door and after a few moments of trial and error, combined with a fair amount of swearing, the cargo hold filled with light, albeit it dim light. Kate walked further into the hold, raising her gun as she went. She moved silently between the large crates that filled the cavernous room, blocking out the deep hum of the engines as she tried to pick up any suspicious sound. Suddenly she heard a slight movement behind her, but as she turned to see what it was, her gun was knocked out of her hands and slid across the concrete floor of the hold. Kate stared at the gun for a moment before turning her gaze to her attacker: a tall, bulky man with a shaved head. Typical. She thought to herself with a smirk.
“Not cool.” She stated before launching her self at her unsuspecting attacker. He tried to dodge her oncoming attack, but he was too bulky and she was too fast. She jumped and wrapped her legs around his neck, throwing all of her weight to the side, subsequently unbalancing him. He fell to the floor with a thud and before he could even move to get up, Kate was on top of him. She brought her elbow down hard on his face and was rewarded with the loud crack of a breaking nose. He yelped in pain and tried to push her off of him, but was rendered unconscious by a well aimed punch to the jaw. Kate breathed a sigh of relief, but before she could move, a burly arm wrapped around her waist and pulled her up.
“I forgot there were two of you assholes.” She muttered as she struggled against him. She tried elbowing him in the stomach, but that barely even fazed him, so she threw her head back and bashed him in the nose. Another loud crack followed by a howl of pain. “Two noses in one night.” Kate snickered. “I’m on a roll.” Her new attacker let out an enraged roar and charged at her. Kate braced herself for the attack, but right before the man could reach her, a very enraged God of Mischief appeared between Kate and her would-be attacker. He grabbed the man around the throat and threw him across the room with such force, that when he hit the wall, Kate could hear his neck snap. Her eyes widened in terror. Loki slowly turned to face her, and eery smile on his perfect face.
“Hello, darling.” He took a step towards her. “Did you miss me?” Kate didn’t even respond. She just turned on her heel and ran in the opposite direction back towards the door of the hold, scooping her gun up as she went. She was about twenty feet from the door when Loki appeared in front of her only way out. Without even thinking, Kate raised her gun and fired the whole clip at Loki’s chest. When the clip was empty, Loki stared down at his unharmed chest, then back up at her and smiled.
“Are you quite finished, my dear? By all mean, fire another volley if it makes you feel better.” Kate stared at him in horror before turning to run back into the depths of the cargo hold, loading a new clip into her gun as she went. She bolted between two large containers and lowered herself into a crouch.
“Your game of hide and seek is fast becoming most tiresome, pet.” She heard Loki’s voice echo through the cargo hold. “Why don’t you come out and save me the trouble of having to find you, because find you I will, Kate.” Kate stood up and moved silently through the maze of crates, her ears straining for any suspicious noise. Then out of nowhere she felt a strong arm wrap around her waist from behind.
“At last.” She heard Loki whisper. “Your mine now.” Then everything went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks again for all the lovely reviews/subscriptions/recommendations!!! Keep 'em coming! They make me super happy :)