Status: Complete

I'll Always Have Time for You

Late

“I’m sorry.” Standing in the doorway of his two story home Jared Butler panted for breath. His eyes immediately taking in the scene before his eyes; two places were set at the four chair dining table. Two wineglasses were set just at the top of each finely decorated plate. The lights were dimmed; two candles in the middle of the table were half way burned down. “Honey I’m sorry.”

Finally catching his breath Jared made to walk closer to his husband. Cade held up his hands; palm out to tell Jared not to come any closer. Leaning against the marble island counter that separated the kitchen and dining area; the bald man rubbed at his shaved head before crossed his arms over his muscled chest, his ankles crossed. “One day out of the entire year I ask you to be home on time.”

“I’m sorry honey I got hung up at work; I had to write an entire stack of paperwork before I was allowed to leave the station.” Cade nodded looking down at the floor, he took a deep breath.

“Yeah I know it’s not your fault. You have too damn much to do in too little time.” A pang of guilt hit Jared; he could have prevented this from happening, weather it be taking an unpaid day or using one from his vacation. The thing that hurt though was knowing that his husband acted as if he had expected this, which he probably did.

Jared had vowed three years ago to stand by his partners side though thick and thin but he knew he hadn’t be really holding his end up on that promise. Taking a few tentative steps forward Jared tried to get Cade to look at him, the older male had just sighed and ignored his presence. When he was within four feet of his love an idea hit Jared like a bus.

“Let me make it up to you Cade. I know I haven’t been there for you the way you need me and I surely could do a better job at it.” Cade looked up finally meeting Jared’s gaze, but it wasn’t a look of love that those deep green eyes emitted, it was resentment.

“I’m not jumping into bed with you and if you honestly think that it would make this situation better you’ve got another thing coming to you. I waited for you to show up for two and a half hours after spending about the same amount time on setting everything up and making the meal.” Cade’s rant was cut off when Jared placed his fingers to his husband’s lips. Cade wasn’t happy about that action, if anything it made him angrier but before he could speak Jared interrupted.

“Let’s go on a vacation.” Jared cut him off, apparently the statement caught Cade off guard. “I know I haven’t been spending enough time with you, or at home for that matter Cade. I love my job but if it means loosing you I am willing to let it go if I need to.”

“I don’t want you to quit your job Jared, you just said it yourself you love it.” Jared could tell that Cade was surprised by his previous statement. He knew how much Jared loved his job and if he offered to quit it just to keep Cade happy he would do it. But he would never ask his husband to do so, no matter how much he wished he was selfish enough to agree to it.
“I would quit tomorrow if you asked.” Jared placed his warm palm against his Cade’s neck, holding on to the side of it to offer comfort.

“Just for you to offer shows how much more you love me. But Jared, don’t quit your job.” Cade gripped Jared’s left bicep in his right palm.

“Then if I’m on a case that will take a while I will request for someone else to work it so I can come home. I hate knowing that some nights you sleep in our bed alone.” Jared let his hand roam higher gripping the back of Cade’s neck.

“That one I can agree to.” Cade’s gaze met his husbands chocolate brown orbs only seconds before he was pulled down into a tender kiss. He didn’t have to lean far only being a few inches taller than Jared. He had always joked with his lover about his height, both being only twenty seven they had stopped growing quite a few years back. With a deep chuckle he used his palms to push Jared back. “Where are we going then?”

“How about Canada, I know how much you have wanted to go and your love snow at this time of year. We’ll spend the holidays in a cabin, just you and me. No pesky families causing a big ordeal over a giant dinner. No noisy neighbors with loud music, just you and me sitting in front of a fire spending time together.” Jared’s free palm slipped up his husband’s chest to rest on his collarbone.

“I like the sound of that. Are you sure you can take the time off.” Jared nodded with a smile on his face.

“I may not have all the time in the world but I’ll always have time for you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is not an entry to the contest in the summary. This is just a story written by me that was inspired by one if the quotes in that contest. Please let me know what you think?