Status: Completed and under Revision

Alone Until I Met You

The Stupid Move that Ruined it All

It seemed like an eternity before Colt finally came home. Jackie had left earlier claiming that she was going to go shopping before heading back to her place. Of course I had no clue what shopping was so I just assumed it was some kind of human hunting thing and left it at that.

I had meant to be awake and at the door when he had returned but because he didn’t come back until late into the night I had found myself asleep on the couch. The front door creaked open slowly followed by the quiet footstep of his work boots. The smell of something metal tickled the tip of my noise making me sneeze.

Colt sighed disappointedly at the little hint that I was awake and practically cursed the entire time as he slugged off his coat. Trying to stay firm at being angry at him I growled at his own sour attitude before picking myself up off of the couch. Before I could even start off yelling at him for not telling me that I was his mate and for not telling Jackie that Hailey was dead he had to go and say,

“Sorry to wake you.” With that simple four word apology the anger I had kept festering in my chest started to dissipate.

I mumbled out my words as a slight blush started to bloom across my face. “It’s okay,”

I peered up at the dark figure that was Colt in time to see him nod at me. He then slowly pushed himself off of the door as he awkwardly scratched the back of his neck searching for something else to say. In my mind I was secretly hoping that that something would happen to be him finally telling me that I was his mate.

Anticipation started to bubble up in my stomach when I heard him let out a disheveled sigh. Trying to hold in my own excitement over him finally admitting to me that we were mates was a lot harder to contain then I thought. I bit down on my lower lip nervously before burying my toes into the thick carpet floor.

“I’m going to go take a shower.” He inform me grumbling before walking passed me. “The couch is very comfortable to sleep on so you can go wait for me in the bedroom until I’m done.”

Anger popped away readily in my chest at his words. If the man honestly thought that I was going to go and wait in his bedroom like a patient little pup he was seriously mistaken especially since he was refusing to tell me that we were mates.

“No.” I barked out the words so loudly that it had even made me jump a little at the sound of my own voice.

Colt’s back stiffened as if he had caught a foil smell and then slowly he turned around to face me. “No?”

Even though I couldn’t see anything in the dark I could practically feel the scowled that was growing on his face at my sudden refusal. Not wanting to lose my bold edge I quickly shot back,

“That’s right, no.” I folded my arms across my chest trying to convince both him and I that I was being firm in my stance. “I have something that I need to talk to you about.”

Judging by the dark outline of his body I noticed him taking his own stance as a low growl rumbled through the room, “It can wait until I get out of the shower.”

Before he could even finish the sentence I had already been shaking my head. “No this can’t wait I need to talk to you now.”

“Fine,” He barked out before taking a few steps closer to me. “Hurry it up then and speak.”

Without even thinking twice about I let the words fly right out of my mouth. “Why haven’t you told me yet that we are mates?”

I heard the click in the air of Colt snapping his jaw shut and took that as a sign that we were truly and undoubtedly mates. What made it even worse was that he knew it and he had been keeping it a secret from me. I felt a strange pain slice through my chest at this. Why had he refused to tell me? Did he not want to be mated with me? Was there someone else?

Every worse possible question worked its way into my mind making me feel worthless and unwanted and then he had to go and say, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

I felt the quick intake of air brush past my lips at a cracking speed. How dare he act stupid on something like this! Anger and fear rose up from my stomach and stopped in my throat making it hard for me to breathe.

“You know exactly what I am talking about.” I screamed on the brink of hysteria. “We’re mates, aren’t we Colt.”

A strange silence rang through the room making me feel even more uncomfortable and scared as I waited for his response. When I heard him sign again the fear I felt gripping my heart tightened.

“Allie,” He started out in an almost disappointed tone. “We’re not mates.”

My entire world flipped over and crumbled at that one statement. We’re not mates. How could a few simple words destroy me so completely. A strange soggy feeling tickled the back of my throat as I tried to hold back a whirl wind of emotions.

We had to be mates. We just had to be. It had made so much sense for us to be. I stared at his dark figure as he turned and started to walk away. With his back towards me I suddenly felt as if I was suffocating. Without even thinking about it I said the only thing that I could,

“Let me kiss you.” For the second time that night his back stiffened. Without turning around to face me again he spoke in a low hard voice.

“No,”

Using up what little strength I still had I took a shaky step towards him. “Why not?”

“Because we aren’t mates.” He barked back so roughly that it made me jump.

I could feel my nails digging into my palm as I frowned back at him. Something about his attitude had me wondering if he was lying. “Let me prove it then.”

“No,”

I frowned at him. “Well will you at least tell me why? And don’t give me that lame excuse ‘because we aren’t mates’ again.”

He looked over his shoulder at me and growled, “I said no and that is the end of this conversation.”

With that being said he stomped off towards the bathroom without another word. I snarled at his retreat and turned to go to the bedroom. How could he just dismiss our discussion like that? I mean really, if we weren’t mates than he should just let me kiss him and get over it but instead he just had to go and pull a stunt like this.

I swung open the bedroom door and then slammed it shut before plopping myself down on his bed. Why couldn’t he just let me kiss him? I thought before letting myself fall back onto the bed. I mean he had let Six kiss him back at the bar even though he ‘said’ that she had just surprised him…..

Just as sudden as the words had whispered into my head an idea popped in as well. I smiled to myself as the details of this plan started to form.

***


I was already buried underneath the covers when Colt finally walked in. His foot falls were quieted by the carpeted floor making it almost impossible to hear. Faintly I heard him sigh before he opened up a draw and pulled something out. I could hear the slight movements that the fabric made as he dressed himself and automatically knew that he was putting on a pair of pants.

A slight heat rose to my cheeks at the thought of him walking into the room naked. Of course being a wolf myself nudity didn’t normally merit this kind of reaction from me especially since I had seen him once before. But it was dark out and you were too busy swooning over his green eyes.

I tried my best to pretend that I was still sleeping but when I felt the bed dip because of his weight I almost blew my cover by flinching. Colt eased the covers on the bed up before sliding in completely. His warm damp skin rubbed against mine as positioned himself more comfortably near me. He continued to fidget on the bed until something snapped in him. He let out a quiet growl before wrapping his arm around my waist and fitting me against his chest.

My heart was already racing inside of my chest from him rubbing up against me but when I felt his warm bare chest pressing into my back I couldn’t breathe. My skin was tingling with dazzling sparks making me grow both feverish and dizzy. Colt then nuzzled his chin onto the top of my head before letting out a relaxing grunt of satisfaction.

All that I could think about at that one moment was how difficult he was making it for me to keep pretending to be asleep. As if to tempt me even more I could feel his tantalizing smell tickle the tip of my nose. Not being able to resist taking a whiff of him I took in the hot aroma.

He smelt of clover and rain which reminded me of all of my years spent in the forest after a long run in the rain. I could feel the Goosebumps rise to the top of my skin as I cuddled unconsciously closer to him. I didn’t understand why he smelled the way he did because there was no way he had gone outside for a run in the middle of the night but then again I didn’t really mind.

I could feel his warm breath brush through my hair as he whispered huskily, “Allie,”

The muscles in my lower stomach tightened at the sound of my name. I could feel the paranoia growing from my tightened stomach and climbing up the lining to my chest. Does he know that I’m awake? Does he know what I’m planning?

I laid there stiffly against him for what felt like an eternity, waiting for him to speak my name, but he never did. His vise like grip that he had on me loosened slowly as time passed until I was able to get a little wiggle room. Once I had it I turned myself around in his arms until my chest was pressed up against his.

Nervousness about what I was about to do moved around uneasily in my stomach. I felt as if I was slightly disobeying him by doing this but I just had to know…I just had to. I wiggled my arms up to his cheeks and carefully positioned his head so that he was looking down at me. I used my fingers to locate his lips in the dark and once I did I sighed as I leaned up.

Just before my lips could brush against his I felt a small tear wet the edge of my eye. I stared up at his face that was only a breath away and whispered, “I’m sorry for doing this Colt but I need to know.”

I pressed my lips against his lightly and with that one small contention I knew. I could feel the hard clicking sound my body made as something snapped into place, I could feel my heart rate slow down right before it sped into a painfully race, and I could most definitely feel that burning lava moving through out every pour in my body. It all had my mind screaming one word,

Mate

I yanked myself away from him at that one word and found myself staring into a pair of glowing gold eyes. I shuddered at those eyes that were filled with something that was greater than hate or anger; those eyes were filled with fury and worst of all worry.

Colt roared out at me before throwing me onto my back and pressing me into the bed. His hard body covered mine in an instant as he let out another ear cracking roar, “Do you have any idea of what you’ve just done!”

In the weakest voice I could manage I whimpered out, “Colt,”

“You mated us!” He continued on his rampage as if he I hadn’t said anything. “Damn it Allison I specifically told you not to kiss me. Do you have any idea how much danger you just put us in?”

I shook my head furiously against the pillow. “D-Danger-

“Exactly!” He growled out. “Danger, you just put us in a heap load of danger. Now that you just mated us Kirk is going to make a move. He couldn’t do shit before because we were unofficially mated but now…now he’s going to come for us.”

I could feel the fear boiling up into my throat. “What?”

He snarled at me, “Oh wait that’s right you lived in a goddamn forest your whole life so here let me spell it out for you. Now that we are mated Kirk is going to kill you. He’s going to kill you because it will literally tear me apart inside until I go mad. He’s going to be able to do all of this now because of your stupid move.”

Before he could spit out anything else at me he rolled off of me with a pillow in his fist. I watched with wide eyes as he threw open the bedroom door and flicked on the living room light.

“Colt, where are you going?” I asked meekly.

He spun around on his heels to face me. With the light playing behind him I could see just how furious he really was but because of our new connection I could also see something else; fear.

“I’m sleeping on the couch tonight,” He snapped.

I sat up on the bed with my shoulder slugged forward. “Why?”

“Because I obviously can’t trust my mate to listen to me,” His words were dripping with malice and hate.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Halloween!!!