Leopold Lane

2

Rushing, rushing, rushing to class again. Geez, I hate being late. What room was it again? Oh right! D108. Looks like I’m actually pretty early from the looks of it.

I look to my black Baby-G wristwatch and 8:29am flashes on the screen. Class starts in exactly one minute. Close call! I quickly take my seat near the middle of the room. Five rows in and three seats down to be exact.

Homeroom… le sigh. What a useless allocation of our time. Those darn skippers are ruining it for the rest of us. Fifteen looooooong minutes of staring at the teacher. It’s not even enough time to work on finishing homework!

Several minutes pass and the room is starting to fill up with strangers: some fancy dude dressed up in a tie, another with a pretty crazy faux-hawk, oh! and that girl following him has a pretty cool striped sweater, along with a bunch of other strange people. It’s as if all these people are dressed to impress or something. And I thought I was going to be late, haha!

Another girl walks in, really pretty. She’s so colorful too! Brown hair, red bag, blue jacket, and pink shoes. I’m kind of looking forward to this year haha. Finally, the front door swings open and Mrs. Luna proceeds to the podium overlooking the center of the room.

“Excellent, just on time. Good morning, class! Now, give me some time to remember your names. I’ll call roll so say ‘here’ when I call you, okay? Splendid!”

What is she saying? —Timothy Adams. Here! — The tardy bell rings in a minute. —Jeremy Baxter. Yo!— Is that what she considers on time? —Katherine Carr. Present!— I doubt I can actually remember anyone’s name. —Daniel David… No? Looks like he transferred.— Well, at least I got my pens and notebook. Might as well pass the time…

“Leopold Lane?” she repeats a second time.

Cats are so fun to draw. They’re so furry and —“Leopold, pay attention when I call your name!”

“Oh, here! Sorry about that.” Oh my god, embarrassing. It’s only the second day and I already did something stupid. I should pay attention more. —Sophie MacArthur… Again? Someone wake her up.— Well at least I wasn’t sleeping! Haha! So that’s her name.

“Madeline Martin.” echoes in my ears.
“Right here, Mrs. Luna.” she responds with the voice of an angel.

She’s in my class!? What the… she’s been sitting across the room all this time? I’m freakin’ blind.

This really is going to be an interesting year.