Leopold Lane

3

I still can’t get over what happened the other day after Gym class…

The bus ride home was such a bother. For minutes. For hours. For what seemed to be days. I sat on that seat in a cheek-blemished daze…

~

Why would she talk to me? —Pow!— She smells nice. Should I wave at her in school now? —Yes!— I’ve never seen her around before… All these thoughts —Air combo!— and more running and racing tracks and circles over and around my head.

“It’s driving me mad!” I finally retort - button mashing my PSP.

“Well, sorry you suck so much at this game, Leo. You usually put up more of a challenge when you use Hwarang.” responds my old buddy, Albert.

Um… Did I say that out loud?

“No, not the game, haha. It’s just… Forget it.” I reply reluctantly. He looks to me with one raised eyebrow.

“Come on, what’s on your mind?” he inquires sincerely. “I’m a year older than you so I know about this kind of stuff more than you think. Tell me.” I’m glad Albert is more than just a buddy to play Tekken with on the bus, he could be a bit supportive.

“Well, it’s just this girl…” I stammer. “I think I kind of like her…” Do I?

“Forget it, you’re on your own there, bud.” he laughed. “Girls are way too complicated. Don’t stress about it, dude. But if anything, do something nice. Now… let’s get back to kicking your butt!”

Right… Girls are way too complicated.

~

“Stop zoning out, man.” nudges my buddy Tony from behind my seat. “Get up.”

“Again…” Mrs. Luna repeats, “Everybody to the front of the room so we can get ourselves situated in alphabetical order.”