Leopold Lane

4

“Great! Now, let’s get down to business. First row of seats, listen for your names…” announces Mrs. Luna.

But… I liked my usual seat. It was distant and comfortable and nice being where I was. I wasn’t too close to the teacher and I had an okay view of my surroundings. But of course, that’s a pretty useless detail to mention considering I didn’t even know MADELINE WAS IN MY CLASS!

“Second row…” Mrs. Luna continues.

Wait a minute…
A. B. C. D. E. F. G. H. I. J. K. L. M… M!

Awesome! Now’s my chance to get to know her! —Third row…— I must thank my ancestors for this blessed coincidence. What are the odds, huh. But wait… I recall someone else’s name coming before hers.

“Fourth Row: Leopold Lane, Sophie Macarthur, Madeline Martin, and Tony Nguyen.” Mrs. Luna declares as she points out our appropriated seats for which we shall reside for the remainder of the year.

How awesome is that! My crush and my good buddy all on the same row as me. I’m telling you man, good times ahoy!

I look back and wave at Tony. He seemed pretty thrilled about our placement as well, but that’s not the only thing I noticed…

There she was. As graceful as a flower, and as radiant as the sun. In all her splendiferous grandeur, she caught my stare and waved right back when I realized I was still waving.

“Hey Leopold.” she said with a smile.
“Hi Madeline.” I reply, still waving.

Yup… still waving.

I snap out of it when I see the look on Sophie’s face. She giggles at my reaction and probably thought I was an idiot or something. I stop waving and face forward trying my best to pay attention to what the teacher has to say.

“So I hope you all get comfortable where you are seated now, it’s gonna be like that for the rest of the year. Now, why don’t we get started with a little icebreaker?” Mrs. Luna announces to the class.

I was hoping it wouldn’t come to this…