Leopold Lane

Final

She’s messing with me… I can tell. This girl is messing with me. Telling me to look at her then telling me not to stare. That cheeky grin ain’t fooling no one. Note to self: I better be careful around her.

I turn my desk to face hers and take another good look at her as she sits there with her elbows propped on the desk resting her chin on both hands.

“So, where do you live?” I try to play the part for this assignment. Oh wait, why would I start out with something like that… Stupid. She’s going to think—

“Haha! Creeeepy, man. Why would you start out with something like that?” she replies with a laugh bigger than before. I knew it…

“Okay, never mind…” I try to recover, “Then what do you do for fun?”

She takes one strange look at me then leans in closer with a whisper, “So who do you like? Is it Madeline back there? Is that why you were staring her down so intensely?”

Whoa… what’s this all of a sudden. “Well… Maybe. I mean, she’s nice. I like her.”

She leans back on her chair, smiles, and then laughs a bit harder than before. “I knew it! Gosh Leopold, you’re so predictable! But I think it’s cute.”

Well sorry, miss mind reader girl. Not everyone has superpowers. And what?! This girl really is messing with me! “Thanks… I guess. Can we get back to the assignment?”

“But this is ‘getting to know’ you! That’s the assignment right?” she persuades me.

“Yeah…” Well, she has a point. I guess it’s relevant information. But wait… there’s going to be a presentation next class! I don’t want her to announce to everyone that I have a crush on Madeline… I haven’t even asked her anything about herself yet!

“Ring ring ring!” rings the bell. Oh dear…

“That’s all the time we have for today. Presentations will be next class, so make sure you’re all prepared! Enjoy the rest of your day!” Mrs. Luna says, “Goodbye!”

Students are fixing their seats back to the way they were, collecting their stuff, and leaving the classroom. One by one, people are walking out the door, but I catch her before she is about to leave.

“Wait, Sophie! I still don’t know anything about you, and I feel uncomfortable being so unprepared for the presentations tomorrow…” I try to reason her to stay a bit longer.

“So you want to hang out with me, is that it?” she seems to catch on giggling to herself again.

"Wait, that’s not what I said…" I say.

“And Leopold is such a long name. How about I call you LeLa instead?” she just loves to joke around…

“But that’s a girl’s name! I can’t believe it. What the…” I say some more.

“You’re so silly, LeLa! Come on, follow me!” she grabs my hand and we walk out the door together.