These Fever Dreams

as sure as tomorrow will come

They say you always dream about the last person you think about before you go to sleep. Logan couldn’t have agreed more with that statement.

Tired brown eyes gazed back to the cell phone on his nightstand, watching as the screen grew dim. The last text was always the hardest, and he’d find himself staring up at the ceiling for hours, holding onto that hope that he’d get that one last reply. Just one more text, he thought to himself, then he could fall asleep content.

But she was three hours ahead of him, so whatever exhaustion he felt was nothing compared to hers. The darkness around him felt as if it was engulfing him, but it never seemed to be enough to fill that void in the pit of him stomach. With this distance between them, he never felt truly satisfied. Each sparse bit of communication was like a tease, leaving him desperate for more, but at the same time, he didn’t know what he’d do without those quick texts or ten-minute phone conversations.

It wasn’t what Logan wanted, but it was enough for him to get by.

It was odd, this constant desire that built up inside of him. It was unlike anything he’d ever felt before. With anyone else, he wouldn’t have bothered the emotional investment or the energy that came along with a long distance relationship, but in a way, he felt like she was worth it.

Logan knew he wouldn’t be able to live his life wondering what could’ve been. Like everything else in his life, he would give this every ounce that he had, even if it meant this, another night spent lying in his bed alone while she flooded his every thought until finally his eyelids began to droop.

That was the only time he didn’t feel lonely, because that was the only time she could be there with him, in his dreams.

But Logan never felt like he was dreaming.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not big on drabbles, but every time I sat down to try to add more to this, I just couldn't do it without it feeling forced.

Comments are always appreciated.