Status: on an obvious haitus... sorry!

Dark Side

Chapter Three

Dad claimed that he didn’t cook, so we ended up eating at a local diner. It was a nice change compared to the healthy dinners Mom would make for me. I ordered a cheeseburger for the first time since I was diagnosed and had never been happier. I listened politely as Dad rambled on about his life here. He said he taught at a school in La Push, which apparently was a Native American reservation, and that he even made a few friends with the natives.

A group of guys pushed their way through the entrance of the diner, gaining both of our attention. They were all tall, muscular and definitely attractive. It was refreshing to see, instead of the lanky, preppy boys that I saw on a daily basis back home. Dad cleared his throat to regain my attention and whispered, “Ellie, I highly suggest staying away from them.”

“Why?” I questioned, just as the waitress brought us our food. I immediately picked up my burger and took a huge chunk out of it. It slid down my throat as I savored the very missed flavors of the ground beef.

Dad laughed at my satisfied face, then sobered to reply. “They’re just a bad group of guys. I’m pretty sure they’re a gang or something. I don’t know… They’re never in school. And that right there is bad news.”

I nodded at him as I thought about what he said. As I munched on my cheeseburger, one of them casually sent glances my way. The fourth time he looked me, he winked and I blushed. Ever since my diagnosis of cancer, boys were the last thing on the mind, seeing as I had so many other important things to worry about. The only guys I needed in my life were Matt and Dad.

To distract myself from the guy, I started to tell Dad about the lessons that Mom was dead set on having me learn for school this year, and then, I complained about even having to endure another year of homeschooling with her. He chuckled at how controlling my mother can be and suggested that I should go to school here in La Push.

“Maybe,” I told him. “I think that I should make friends and get to know the place before I make my decision.”
“It’ll be easy to get you to say yes, then. The people are great!”

Eventually, dinner came to an end and Dad went to go pay the bill while I scurried to the bathroom. It was exciting to see some color on my face for once and have an actual full stomach. As I exited the bathroom, I saw Dad standing by the entrance, talking to a man in a wheelchair. He had on a cowboy hat and large smile on his face as he and my dad were talking animatedly about something.

“I haven’t seen you around here before,” I heard a voice say behind me and a couple of manly chuckles. I turned to face the group of brawny guys who happened to still be here. “You’re a cutie, too.”
I could feel my face heat up and could just tell it was looking as ripe as a tomato. “Uh, thanks. I’m visiting my dad.”

Because of my history of cancer, I always had a confidence issue while meeting new people, especially those with high levels of attractiveness. I began to walk away when I heard him call after me again. “My name’s Paul. What’s yours?”
“Ellie,” I told him.

By the time I reached Dad, his conversation with the man was ending and he noticed me. “Ellie, meet Billy Black. He’s a Native from around here. Billy, this is my beautiful daughter that I’ve been telling you about.”

“Nice to finally meet you, Ellie. Your dad here has been bouncing off the walls ever since you said you were coming to –”

“Sorry I’m late!” Another tall and muscular boy walked in and stopped short when he saw Billy and my dad. He didn’t seem to notice me. “Hey Dad, what are you doing here?”
“Just wheelin’ around, Jake,” Billy said, grinning. “Embry actually invited me to join you guys for dinner here. He said that I’m not involved enough in the group.” Jake rolled his eyes until they landed on me.

They immediately widened and he looked as if he’d seen a ghost. I suddenly felt really awkward just standing there.
“Well, Dad, I’m starting to feel the jetlag, so can we go? It was nice meeting you, Billy.”

I followed Dad out of the diner and snuck a peak back at the Billy’s son. He was still staring at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment, please.