Status: This is the strangest story you will ever have the pleasure of reading.

The Entanglement of Cat and Rin Schrodinger

Ch. 13

Chapter thirteen
Cat

I feel like I’m right back where I started. The hollow tree stands before me tall and gaunt. It could’ve been a sycamore once. Moss spreads beneath it, dappled as sunlight. Meina couldn’t explain exactly how she knows the rift will lead to Terra; she tried to describe it as a sort of impression on her mind. The way I’ll get back into Pax Illume seems like something out of a science fiction book. Meina’s ‘device’. Something Meina invented, with the help of Shomei. All the worlds she’s sensed at some point and that Shomei has some information on she’s listed what I can only think of as a barometer. I have absolutely no idea how it works, and don’t intend to try to find out.
I smile and turn to the diminutive send off party: Meina, Shomei, and the little blonde girl I saw yesterday picking bluebells. I found when Meina takes one of her rare trips to the village, the little girl follows her around like a duckling. She grabs onto Meina skirt shyly, twisting around and watching me with wide set eyes. I think she is the only villager I’ve seen outside their house since I arrived here. Meina looks tearful and Shomei looks worried. Evada found some odd excuse the last minute to avoid my departure.
“It’ll be here any second.” Meina whispers hoarsely. Her hair is braided into a short black pigtails whose ends curl up. Meina’s eyes suddenly break concentration and she rushes and throws her arms around me. Her tiny fierce embrace knocks to wind out of me and I stagger back. “I’ll miss you!”
“I’ll miss you too, Meina.”
“And I know that you’ll always be the best Cat ever. No matter of who comes through that rift next.”
I laugh at that, the thought of a competition for being the best Me. Then a glint of gold catches my eye and I twist around. A faint light is steadily growing at the base of a root ball. Meina releases me and backs away.
I crouch down and study the pulsating light, watching for the breaking point Meina told me to wait for. At the last minute, the little blonde girl runs forward and presses a single bluebell in my hand. I close my hand around it. I shield my eyes from the radiance coming from the rift. Then I reach out and touch it. Slow warmth spreads from my hand to my body and then I am gone.