Status: This is the strangest story you will ever have the pleasure of reading.

The Entanglement of Cat and Rin Schrodinger

Ch. 19

Chapter nineteen
Rin

The girl with the long hair turns to look as I crouch down, uncovering a strange light under the fallen bricks the Geiger counter/energy computer led me to. She looks at it. Then at me, then at the device in my hands. She darts over and puts her hand near the light, as if testing the heat of a pan on the stove. The light almost seems to react to her nearness, pulsating stronger for a second before bleeding into the daylight.
“What is it?” I question.
“That’s what’ll take you to where you need to go.” I flash a look of mystification and she hesitates. ‘It has to be now,’ I can nearly hear the thoughts of her decisiveness before she nods crisply. “Rin, okay, I’ll need the sensor now, and all you have to do is touch that light and I’m...well, nearly positive it’ll lead to Pax Illume. I wish I could’ve explained everything, but Meina and Shomei should be waiting for you there like they were for me. I promise this will all make sense in a little bit. Now—”
“What are you talking about?”
“I know sounds crazy, but— ”
I cut in harshly. “Trust me, I know crazy better than anyone else, and confusion only sprouts from unclarity or an aversion to a fact.”
Cat shifts uneasily. And away from the glow of the rift.
“You’re leaving.” I accuse sharply.
She bites her lip “Yeah.”
“No, you’re coming with me.”
“I can’t! This was never my fight in the first place. The best thing I can do is go back to my world and pretend this never happened. I’m not needed anywhere.”
But she just got here. She’s leaving, and I can do something about it. Where ever she is taking me, I’m only a half of a whole. The light grows brighter and in a millisecond, I pull the future closer to myself and breathe in. Then I grab Cat’s hand, make a point with two of our fingers and shove them into the blinding radiance. I see Cat’s sudden look of panic but also the mirror of my face’s expression of absolute exhilaration and wild joy. She knew she never wanted to leave, not yet anyway. This I know.
And that’s how I leave my purgatory, the only home I’ve ever known behind, heading into the chaos as light spreads up my arm and transforms us into living, glowing atoms before we disappear into daylight.