Status: Hey guys, this was originally 'The Notebook' but I renamed it. I hope you all still like it, lol!

Through It All

Chapter 3

“Zak Bagans, if you so much as step out the door, I swear to God…” I trailed off, glaring at him.

“I have to go!” He shouted in exasperation. “It’s my job, and you knew that when we met.” His arms were crossed over his chest as he glared right back at me.

We’ve been arguing for a few days since he got the call. He and the guys were going back to Bobby Mackie’s Music World, and no amount of begging and pleading was stopping Zak. So, I resorted to yelling and screaming and threatening him.

“I know it’s your job, but don’t you think that going back could be really dangerous!? You’re being incredibly fucking stupid right now, Zachary!” I screamed before bolting upstairs and locking myself in the guest room, which is where I have been sleeping since we’ve started arguing. I sat on the floor, leaning against the bedroom door as my eyes burned with unshed tears.

I heard footsteps and then there was a knock on my door. “Babe…” Zak’s voice sighed. I sniffled quietly, hoping to God he couldn’t hear me. “Look, I know you’re pissed at me, but I lo- ….I’ll see you when I get home in a few weeks” and then I heard his retreating footsteps as he walked downstairs.

I wiped my eyes angrily and grabbed out my phone to send him a quick text. ‘If you go…we’re through’ harsh, maybe. But he wasn’t thinking at all of his own safety or the others safety. For heaven’s sake, Aaron and his wife got divorced after the first trip to Mackie’s! I didn’t want Zak and I breaking up over some spirits that decided to mess with us in our home. I may also have been into the paranormal as a teen, but one incident left me fearful of it, but that is a story for another day.

‘Fine ‘was his reply and seconds later, I heard the front door slam shut. ‘He’s made his decision’ I thought to myself as the tears fell again.

A few hours later and about a gallon of tears later, I went downstairs and got a glass of water before sitting on the couch. I turned on the TV and flipped through the channel before landing on the Travel Channel. ‘Ghost Adventures’ was on and just as I was going to flip the channel, I heard Zak’s voice. And the instant I heard his voice, I knew I had been so damn stupid for acting the way I had before he left. I quickly looked up at the clock and grabbed the house phone, dialing a number I knew like the back of my hand.

It rang a few times before I heard “Hello?”

“Zak…” I whispered, wiping my eyes again.

I heard him sigh softly. “Babe…don’t cry.” He said. I nodded before realizing he couldn’t see me.

“Okay” I cleared my throat. “I’m sorry for before” I mumbled into the receiver.

Zak sighed again, this time slightly heavier. “So am I…look, we can work this all out better when I get him. I just want you to know that I lo- care about you, but this is my job, and I love what I do. I take risks, but everything always turns out okay at the end of the day.” He said.

I groaned quietly, because he’s right. I mean, there are always some incidents after investigations, but it always turns out to be okay. “You’re right” I muttered.

I heard him chuckle and could picture the smirk on his face as he spoke “I usually am” which caused me to snort.

“You’re lying to yourself, Mr. Bagans, for it is I who is always right” I smirked myself. I heard him burst out laughed, and I laughed a little bit.

“Now who’s lying to themselves?” He laughed.

“Meh, you suck” I smiled, lying on the couch on my side and yawning.

I heard Zak yawn also and smiled as I pictured his sleepy expression. “Well baby, it’s late so…I’m going to go to sleep. Please relax, okay? I’ll call you before the lockdown tomorrow and then I’ll call you after we’re done.” He promised.

“Alright...But you better call” I yawned again. He chuckled a little.

“I will babe. Get some rest” He said and then hung up. I put the phone onto the hook and shut the TV and lights off. Walking upstairs, I went into mine and Zak’s room to grab one of his shirts to sleep in, and then went into the guest room. Quickly, I changed into his shirt which was about an inch above my knee, and then crawled into the bed. I fell asleep quickly.

The next morning after I had woken up, I was pacing the living room, still in Zak’s shirt, and scrubbing my hands through my hair as I drank my mug of coffee. I just had a feeling that something wasn’t quite right, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

The phone ringing made me jump and almost throw my coffee mug, but I caught myself before I could. I set the mug on the coffee table and answered the phone. “Hello?” And to my own ears, I knew I sounded worried and distracted.

“Tara? What’s wrong?” It was Zak. I sighed and tugged at my hair.

“I don’t know, Zak. Something just…I don’t know. Probably just nothing” I flopped onto the couch.

“Stop worrying. Tara, everything will be okay. “Zak said.

“Okay, okay” I waved my free hand dismissively as the other held the phone to me ear. “Is there something you needed, babe?” I asked.

“Just wanted to call and talk to my girlfriend, something wrong with that?” He asked.

“No, I suppose not” I smiled. That’s the thing about Zak, I could be in the middle of a meltdown and all he’d have to do is say or do something and I’d calm down and just melt.

“So how is my girl?” He asked.

“Bored, I might go and see Simon today” I got up and went upstairs still on the phone. I slipped on a pair of jeans but kept Zak’s shirt on, and then I slipped on a pair of Converse.

“Say hi to him for me” I could hear the grin in his voice.

Simon is my twin brother. He’s 26 and he lives a few hours away. He’s also schizophrenic and autistic, so my parents had him committed when he was 17 years old. I visit him every week, and he adores Zak.

“I will” I smile. We talk for a few more minutes and then hang up. I grab my keys and make my way out to my Black VW Bug. I love this car. I’ve had it since I was 19.

I get in the car and buckle my seatbelt, then turn the key in the ignition. My radio comes on and plays ‘Johnny and June’ By Heidi Newfield and I laugh before pulling out of the driveway.

It takes me about 3 hours to get to Sunshine Groves Asylum. I park and make my way inside the large building after being buzzed in at the gate. The nurse at the front desks greets me with a cheerful smile. “He’s waiting for you in the Recreation Room” she said and then went back to typing on the computer. I smile and thank her, then walk down to the end of the long hallway and turn right, right into the recreation room.

My brother is sitting at a table with ‘Candyland out’ and a smile on his face.

I walk over and hug him tightly before sitting across from him.

“Where’s Zak?” He asked, setting up the game quickly. “He can be blue this time” he smiled sweetly.

“Bubby…Zak’s out of town working this week. He’ll be home in a few days, and I’ll make sure he visits you.” I smile, patting my brothers’ hands. Simon looks disappointed then nodded before smiling again. That’s one of the things I love about my brother. He could be so sad, but he’d always have a smile on his face.

“Then I’m blue” Simon said.

We played Candyland for a few hours, and then cleaned it up. “It’s time for me to go home” I told him as I stood.

“Visit again?” He asked, standing up also.

“You know I will” I smiled, hugging him.

“Okay. Love you punk” He hugged me back then was ushered away by a few of the Orderly’s.

“Turd” I called after him, and heard his laughter which caused me to laugh as I left.

The time on my phone let me know it was about 10pm. The ride home was quiet, the radio off. I still had the feeling that something wasn’t right, and I just couldn’t shake it off.

I pulled into the driveway around 1:17pm and noticed the light in the living room was on. I furrowed my brows but got out of the car and made my way to the front door. Kicking it open, I ran into the living room. No one was there, so I searched the house. No one was in the house at all. Shaking my head at myself, I walked downstairs. I must have left the light on earlier, I thought as I grabbed the phone and ordered the pizza.

When the pizza got here, I paid for it and closed the door. Setting the box on the coffee table, I grabbed a slice and started eating.

A thump from upstairs made me jump and drop the slice of pizza on my lap, which in turn made me scream. Hot cheese is HOT!

Throwing the slice into the box, I ran upstairs to investigate. Another thump, this time in the direction of mine and Zak’s room caught my attention. I slowly walked towards our bedroom door and opened it. My mouth dropped open as a gasp left my lips. Some of Zak’s things were on the floor, but what had me frozen in place was the dark figure standing by the window.

A scream left my lips as it started to come towards me. I ran out of the room and downstairs. Looking around, I bolted out to the back yard and sat on one of the loungers.

No way in hell was I going to step foot in that house until Zak got home. I just had a feeling that if I did, it would do something much more harmful than throwing a few things.

My cell phone ringing woke me up the next morning. I was still on the lounger outside.

“Hello?” I asked, my voice still groggy from sleep

“Tara, why aren’t you answering the house phone?” Zak demanded.

I groaned and rubbed my eyes with my free hand. “Maybe because I was outside, idiot.” I snapped.

“Wow…” Zak said, and I heard him huff. “What the hell are you doing sleeping outside?” He demanded. Again with the demanding, I snorted.

“Maybe because there’s a damn ghost in the house that decided to throw shit and scare the hell out of me” I huffed.

“Wait...what?” Zak said, sounding alert and worried. “Did it hurt you?” He asked.

“No it didn’t, but if I go back inside, it just might” I yawned, sitting up.

I could hear Zak cursing on the other line.

“What?” I asked.

“How can there be a ghost in the house? Unless…it must have followed me home from the last investigation. Damn it!” He yelled. I yanked the phone away from my ear and frowned. “We’re coming home today” He said. I must have hit the speaker button.

“I’m not going into that house until it’s gone” I told him, standing up.

“I’ll get a cleansing done” He said. We talked a few minutes more and then hung up. I walked around the side of the house and got in the car. Thank God my keys were in my pocket. I drove to the coffee shop and grabbed a cup to go and then drove to the book store.

“Hey Melissa” I said, greeting the girl who was behind the register.

“Hi Tara…rough night?” She asked, looking at my face.

“You could say that” I yawned. “I’m closing half a day because I have to go pick Zak up from the airport” I told her. She nodded and helped a few customers find the books they were looking for while I was distracted.

At Noon, I drove to the airport and picked the guys up. They chatted with each other as I drove Nick to his house and dropped him off, and then dropped Aaron and Billy off at their places. Once Zak and I were alone in the car, he turned to me.

“What did the figure look like?” He asked me.

“It was just a solid black figure” I told him.

He went “Hm” and got lost in Zak land while I drove us to the house.

“I’m staying at a hotel tonight” I told him as he started getting out of the car.

He turned and shook his head. “No you’re not. You’re not letting that thing run you out of the house” He said and then launched into a speech of ‘how you shouldn’t let a ghost keep you from your home, or life and blah blah blah.’ I eventually tuned him out.

“Fine! I’ll come in” I said. He seemed satisfied so he nodded and got out of the car. It took me about 2 minutes to get out of the car and about 20 to actually go into the house. Everything was quiet and no bad vibes hitting me. I was still freaked out and suspicious.

We went upstairs and Zak’s stuff was still on the floor, but this time there was no figure coming towards me.

“It seems okay now” Zak said, tossing his luggage on the floor near the closet and kicked his shoes off. “Let’s get some sleep and then tomorrow we’ll make sure it’s okay” He said, stripping down to his boxers and getting into the bed.

I shook my head and pulled off my jeans, sleeping in another one of his shirts.

That night…my dreams weren’t peaceful.
♠ ♠ ♠
Again, clearing a few things up here :)
I have an autistic sister who I absolutely love, and she's one of the most amazing people ever. I also have a baby brother that is a smart ass, and loves to give me new nicknames. -_- But I love all 3 of my siblings to death.
Another thing, Zak and Tara went to sleep around 2pm (it's just a random guesstimation here people, okay?) because Zak has jet-lag and Tara didn't get much sleep out on the lounger last night.

Please give me your feedback on this chapter. It's the longest I have ever written.
It's exactly 2,380 words. I almost screamed when I saw the word count on Microsoft Word. lol!