Rebel Rose

Rebel Rose

The night was calm and peaceful, but I knew it wouldn’t be like this for long. As soon as my father got home, Mama and he would start fighting – again. Their angry screams will echo throughout the house just like every other night about anything they could think up.
In the end, Mama will run off crying to the bedroom and my father will a punch a hole through a wall – a wall I will later end up fixing the next day – or come to my room and take his anger out on me, but nine out of ten times he’d only find an empty room with no “me” to abuse.
I’d like to consider myself smart. Whenever they get into one of their quarrels, I would just lie out on the roof of our house and stare up at the nighttime sky; perhaps count the stars and give each a reason why I should runaway and never look back; but there was one reason why I couldn’t leave, and she lived across the road from me.
Her name was Semira.
We were alike in family matters; my parents fought and from time to time my father would find me and beat the crap out of me, she didn’t have a mother, but her and her father fought and he would leave her with black eyes and scars that she hid well with makeup, long sleeved shirts and pants.
The cold nipped at me as my house grew silent and her house was still in the middle of a blazing fire. I was starting to get worried because normally her fights were over before mine and their shouts became louder and louder until finally they stopped. Her house grew strangely quiet then I heard gunshots and I saw Semira hit the door. She ran down the road without even a single glance back. As if to say ‘That I’m leaving this life behind like it never happened and that man never meant anything to me.’
I wasn’t surprised that she killed her father; I mean he had it coming with the way he treated her every day. I guess she not only wanted to runaway, she wanted to erase her past along with it.
I climbed down into my room through my window and glanced over to my book bag remembering earlier today. I pulled out the letter and the small midnight black vial that I had found in my bag when I got home after school today.
Dear Salvador,
You are the closest thing I have to a friend. Neither of us have that good of a life, that’s why I want to know if you will runaway with me at midnight tonight. If you come, drink what is in the vial; I will wait for you on the east side of our road; come quick cause I will only wait for fifteen minutes.
Sincerely,
Semira
I folded the letter and put it in my back pocket. I then looked down at the small vial; I downed the unknown liquid and snuck out my window. I looked down to see that I could no longer see my hand, I held out both my arms I couldn’t see myself. Whatever Semira had given me it have turned me invisible.
Sirens started to sound; the cops would be here in five minutes. I ran to her house and picked up the pistil off the floor. I then ran back to mine and wiped off the pistil. I left it next to my father pasted out drunk on the couch. I ran out the door and saw the cops at Semira’s house. I looked down and saw I was still invisible and ran down to the corner of the road where I found Semira.
“Semira, I’m here.” I said putting a hand on her shoulder.
“Salvador…? Please tell me that you didn’t drink the whole vial.” Semira looked upset and worried.
“I did, … what is it, Semira?” I asked utterly confused.
She looked at me horrified for a moment then turned and started to walk east, “Come on, we have to go.”
I ran to catch up to her, “When will this wear off?”
Her steps stuttered and she looked over at me, “When did you drink the potion?”
I didn’t know what this had to do with anything but I answered her, “Midnight…why? Semira what are you not telling me?”
“If you hadn’t drunk the whole veil, it would have worn off within the hour, but sense you did if we don’t find the antidote before midnight tomorrow night you will be like this for the rest of your life.” Her pace quickened. “Now come on I’m pretty sure I know where to find the antidote.”
“Really, where?” I asked as I fell into step with her.
She glanced in the direction of my voice. “It’s sold in a small town near the lake about eight miles from here. We have to hike through the woods to stay out of sight of everyone and to avoid any trouble.”
We walked for a few moments in silence before we hit the woods.
“Here,” she said pulling me into a dark hole barely noticeable to the human eye. “This path will lead us there, but it will add about two more miles on top of the eight we already have to walk.”
We walked in silence along the path for what seemed like hours but I knew it was only for about two miles or so. It didn’t matter though; I was happy that I could be with her. Semira was beautiful inside and out. Her hair was as black as night and her eyes were a deep yet rich blue. She was strong both physically and mentally. The thing I loved most about her was her heart; even with everything that she has endured in life she is still the sweetest, kindest girl I have ever met. I’m just glad that I was the one she chose to come with her.
“Salvador, are you still there?” She called out.
I walked to her side putting my hand on her shoulder, “Right here, Semira.”
In the dim light I could see the worry in her eyes, “You alright?”
“Yeah, I’m fine.” She said as she started walking again.
Worry in her eyes was rare; she never really worried about anything.
“Semira,” I said as I fell into step with her, “I don’t know what’s wrong, but if it would make you feel better you can hold my hand so that you know that I’m here.”
She glanced in my direction and a faint smile slid across her face. I took her hand and gave it a little squeeze. I was glad that I was invisible right now; her warm hand clinging to mine sent shivers down my spine making my face flushed. After a few minutes I became comfortable with her hand in mine; this made me feel like I was the luckiest guy in the world.
We again walked in silence, but this time the atmosphere was so light and care free. In a way it seemed like everything was perfect, but we both knew it wasn’t.
We hit an open patch in the woods that was barely covered. I looked up at the star lit sky to find the position of the moon; it was about three or four in the morning.
“Should we stop to rest?” I asked.
“Yes, but we have to get back under the shelter of the trees.” She said nodding her head towards the opening to the next path.
After reaching the path we sat under a tree and let ourselves drift off. I awoke to find Semira curled up in my lap.
The sun was beaming through the trees so I could tell about what time it was; it was about ten in the morning.
“Hey it’s time to get up.” I said as I rocked her.
“What is it Salvador?” She said rubbing her eyes still not fully awake.
“It’s about ten we need to get on the move if we are going to get the antidote before midnight tonight.” I said while petting her head.
She started to stand up, but fell; lucky for her that I had quick reflexes so I could catch her before she hit the ground.
“Salvador,” my name whimpered threw her lips.
“Yes?” I asked as let go of her hoping she wouldn’t fall again.
“Thank you,” She smiled.
Not asking why I smiled an unseen smile.
“Okay, let’s get going.” I took her hand and we started on the path.
Don’t get me wrong I wanted to know what was running through her mind both last night and now, but I knew that she would tell me in time.
We finally broke free of the woods around two in the afternoon.
“Where to now?” I asked looking to Semira.
“The town is straight ahead.” She said nodding her head that way.
We talked in to the small town looking in every store, every market, and down every alley. Finally we had found the store, but it was closed. We found the hours and read them over;

Monday-Friday: 9pm to 3am
Saturday: 10pm to 1am
Sunday: Closed
We had finally found the store after about three hours of looking only to find that they don’t open for another five hours.
“Well they don’t open till ten p.m. so what do we do till then?” I wondered out loud.
Semira’s stomach growled and she smiled, “Food?”
I laughed, “Good idea.”
We walked to a nearby Subway, and then sat down in the woods not too far from the store. We sat and talked and laughed for hours, then the topic about where we should go came up.
“We need a place where we have no connections to here.” Semira said leaning against the tree.
I thought for a moment, thinking of where we could go.
Then an idea popped in my head. “Indiana!”
“Indiana?” she question.
“Yes, Indiana. It’s out of state, we have no connections there, and we’re no to far from the border.” I explained.
Her face light up and I could tell she loved the idea.
Night started to fall signaling that it was around ten p.m. “It’s time that we go.”
Semira nodded and we headed towards the store. We walked in to find a middle aged man standing behind the counter that looked eviler than hell.
Semira paid no attention to the man; her eyes were glued to another midnight black veil, but unlike the other on it had the word antidote written crossed it in bone white paint.
“Could I bye that?” she said sweetly pointing to the veil.
“It’s not for sale.” He spit.
“But…”
“I said it’s not for sale now leave.” He growled cutting her off.
“I have an idea, come on.” I whispered into her ear.
Thankfully she listened and left the store slamming the door behind her.
“What’s the plan?” she asked frustrated and upset.
I smiled, “Look to where the veil is.”
She looked to see that it had disappeared. “You didn’t.”
“Oh, but I did.” I laughed.
The man caught her gaze and looked behind him to find that the veil was now gone. He turn as red as the devil himself and ran to the door to go after Semira.
“Shit, run! Go to the lake and wait for me there.” I said grabbing the door making it harder to open.
“But…” a tear rolled down her face. “I love you.” She said as runoff into the darkness of the night.
I waited till she was out of sight before letting go of the door and releasing the beast. As soon as he was out the door I was on his back with him in a choke hold. He fought clawing at my arms, but I never released him; not until his body was limp on the ground.
I left him there cold and lifeless on the ground and ran in the direction of the lake. I glanced to the sky seeing it was about eleven p.m. When I reached the shore I couldn’t see her. I ran down the shore line calling out her name into the starless night. I ran in the same direction for about forty-five minutes; I was about to give up until I saw her off in the distance. I ran faster I catch her.
“Semira!” I gasped.
“Salvador?” she said looking around.
I took her hand letting know where I was. Then fear ran across her face.
“Quickly Salvador, it’s about to turn midnight. Drink the antidote!” Semira cried.
The antidote burned as I drank it. My insides and outsides burned and I yearned to scream, but not wanting to worry Semira or attract unwanted attention I held it in.
I flashed from invisible to visible until, my body stayed visible. As soon as she could see me she wrapped her arms around me; holding me close.
“I’m so glad we could get you back to normal again.” She said holding me tighter.
“Come on Semira.” I said gently pulling her away as I did this sadness passed a crossed her face.
I cupped her face and softly kissed her, “I love you too. Now let’s run; run to Indiana and never return here.”
She nodded and we ran. We didn’t stop until we crossed the border; interning our new home and our new life.
It will be twenty-five years; tomorrow that we have ran away. My parents were charged with the murder of Semira’s father. My father was sentenced to live as for my mother she only had ten years put on her. They could never find out how the old man had died; they were baffled by his death. The government stopped looking for Semira and I after we both turned eighteen and after that everything went as planned for us.
Semira and I now have four beautiful children. Our twin boys Nakula and Kabecka, that looks and acts exactly alike in every way. Jair our third son that is the brightest of us all. Then there is our only daughter, Danica. She reminds me so much of her mother both in her looks and her attitude.
We hope to give them the life we never had; so they don’t have to be rebels like their parents or trash like their grandparents. Our children are our roses; roses we will hold close and love more with every day that passes. Then maybe one day when they are older we tell them of ‘The Rebel Rose’.