Status: Coming Soon...

Little Voices in the Rain

Not Alone

It was on a rainy afternoon in mid-August that Stella Nash’s life began to change for the better.

She had been at the grocery store picking up a few things she needed for her sister and niece’s impending visit that began in 48 hours, when it had begun raining. Being her, she hadn’t bothered taking her car the three blocks from her apartment. But also being her, she had an umbrella. Ducking under an awning, Stella opened up the bright red umbrella and readjusted her purse on her arm and gathered up her paper grocery bags. As she began walking again, Stella could have sworn she’d heard a voice calling after her.

Glancing around, she found the sidewalk to be nearly empty. Ducking her head, she began walking again, hoping it had just been her imagination.

“Stella!”

There it was again. Surely her ears hadn’t been playing tricks twice. This time, Stella stopped in her tracks. Gripping her umbrella handle, she turned around slowly.

“Stella!” a jogging figure waved to her.

Shaking her slightly damp red hair out of her eyes, Stella squinted against the rain.

“Max!” she grinned as the tall hockey player came to a halt in front of her. She raised the umbrella so it covered his taller frame as he embraced her.

“How are you, mon cher?” he asked.

“Good,” Stella nodded. It had been nearly three months since the two had spoken and even then it had only been to make jokes about Max coming to Philly. “How long have you been in town?”

“Two weeks,” he said pulling her under another awning. “I’ve only just found an apartment.”

Stella nodded, understanding. She had been lucky to find her apartment when she did.

“It’s been too long,” she smiled. “How have you been, Superstar?”

Max laughed. “Busy. Missing Pittsburgh already.”

“I know the feeling,” Stella sighed. “It doesn’t get easier.”

“Have you heard from the guys lately?” Max asked.

“I got a text from Vero on behalf of her and Marc. They finally picked a date. I’m sure you got it too,” Stella said. “And Sid and I have been chatting now and again. I wanted to check in with him and his concussion.”

“So not…,” Max’s voice trailed off.

“He’s engaged, Max,” Stella sighed. “It wouldn’t be fair.”

“Stella,” he started.

“Don’t,” Stella warned. Checking the time, she knew she should be getting home.

“You have to go,” Max smiled knowingly. “Always thinking ahead, eh Stell?”

“You know me so well,” she laughed. “We need to catch up.”

“You free tomorrow?” he asked hopefully.

“If you don’t mind coming to my place. I’m getting ready for CiCi and Hilary to come in,” Stella explained.

“Ah, so the super model sister makes an appearance,” Max nodded. “What’s your address?”

Max took the groceries from her arms as she programmed her address into his phone under her contact information.

“Is noon-ish okay?” he asked.

“Sure,” Stella smiled. Standing up on her tip toes, she pecked his cheek. “It was good seeing you, Max.”

Max smiled back and waved as she retreated back into the rain. “You too, Stella, you too.”

Image

Getting back to his apartment, Max settled onto his newly assembled couch. He had seen Stella. She had been the one thing that he had looked forward to upon moving to Philly.

She had looked better than he remembered. It was obvious she had lost some weight, making her a little less curvy. Her hair was still as red as ever and he tried not to think about the way her jeans hugged her butt and her plaid shirt fit her torso.

In the years he had known her in Pittsburgh, Max had known about her crush on Jordan. His teammate, stupid as ever, had been completely oblivious to the beautiful girl that was in front of him. Instead, he was occupied with his on again-off again relationship with that blonde.

Looking at the new address in his phone, Max couldn’t help but smile. Stella was back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Title credit goes to Sara's song Not Alone. Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!

Running into Max...