Status: In Progress

The Bittersweet Between My Teeth

Mutants and Machines

Several months later....

A lot of time had passed since Raven's kidnapping. She had learned to hone her powers, and her hatred for her captors was slowly diminishing. She felt... Stronger. In control. She felt.... Powerful. Magneto had stopped the torture a long time ago, leaving room for Raven to work in a less stressed environment, and she had gained more control than she had ever thought she would have over it.

Meanwhile, Peter had changed himself, in a sense. He never gave up on trying to find Raven, but after the six-month mark, his search had lost its' vigor. He had started seeing a girl, Mary Jane Watson, a pretty redhead he had met through a mutual friend. Tony kept up his own search, but whoever had his sister was keeping her well-hidden. There was no trace of her anywhere.

------

"Would you stop that incessant noise, Pepper? I'm trying to think." Tony snapped, pacing back and forth. "I'm TALKING, Tony. And no, I won't stop. You've been shirking your duties lately, and I don't approve. At all." Pepper snapped. "Do you know something, Pepper? I really do not care if you approve. I am trying to find my FUCKING SISTER." Tony screamed. Pepper frowned at Tony, her eyes glazing over as she dropped the files she was holding. “I give up. Until you can stop this obsessing, I quit.” Pepper said coolly. She picked her purse up off of the desk and headed towards the door. Tony’s eyes stayed on her. “What about us…?” he said softly.

“I’m quitting that too. You’ve obviously got no time for me.” Pepper told him, her hand on the door. Tony ran across the room and wrapped his arms around her, placing his forehead on her shoulder. “Please don’t go.” He begged, his brave face collapsing. Pepper wrapped her arms around him, and they moved to the couch and sat down together, fingers entwined.
----
Raven was ready to leave the hide-out. She and Magneto… Erik, had agreed on it the night before, and so she was leaving the new world that she had grown accustomed to. As she stepped out into the sunlight, she glanced at either side of her. Magneto on one side, Mystique on the other, and Juggernaut bringing up the ranks. Raven sported a midnight blue skin-tight leather outfit that zipped up in the middle and was done up to her collar, with black gloves. She was The Vortex.

“We have a match on the facial recognition scan, sir.” JARVIS said suddenly. Tony froze in the middle of adjusting Dummy, and his eyes turned to the screen that JARVIS had pulled up. Sure enough, Raven was standing there, with three people---if you could call them that, including the one who had abducted her---flanking her. “Run a scan on the man next to her, JARVIS. We know that’s Mystique, and that’s obviously our dear Jolly Green Giant, but who is the man in the helmet?” Tony asked. “That is Erik Lehnsherr, sir. The mutant known as Magneto.” JARVIS answered. Tony paced back and forth, running his hand through his hair and exhaling as he watched his sister on the screen.

“Call Parker.” Tony finally decided. The room began to vibrate with the sound of a ring, and Peter picked up his phone. “Hello?” he said groggily, indicating that he’d been sleeping. “We found her.” Tony told him without ceremony. There was an audible thud, and Peter’s voice shouting in the background before breathing heavily into the phone. “You FOUND her? Where is she?!” the boy yelled loudly. “Calm the hell down, Parker. She’s with mutants. There’s a certain level of caution that we need to practice.” Tony explained, gagging at the sudden rule-following he was exhibiting. “What kind of caution?” Peter asked, his temper suddenly heating up.

“Look. I’ll deal with it. You get back to school and do whatever I was interrupting.” The older man replied, moving to end the call. “No. I want to help.” Peter argued. “Then get your ass out of bed and be at Stark Tower in TEN minutes. No later, or I’m leaving without you.” Tony said. He ended the call with Peter before heading over to his suits. Quickly he donned Mark VI and headed up to the roof. Not giving Parker any time to catch up, Iron Man shot off into the sky. “Who is this Charles Xavier you were telling me about, JARVIS?” Tony said, his eyes scrolling over the panels and sensors inside of his mask as JARVIS pulled up a virtual map. “Xavier is a powerful mutant and close friend of Lehnsherr, sir. I’m currently downloading the directions to the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters as we speak.” JARVIS answered.

“Why the heck doesn’t he call it what it is, a school for mutants?” Tony muttered to himself before taking off in the direction that the JARVIS had directed him on.

Back at Stark Tower, Peter had just arrived to an empty building. He knew that Tony had abandoned him right away, and he sighed and took his clothes off, leaving himself donned in the Spiderman suit. Just as he was about to pull on the mask, he heard a door open. “Peter?” a female voice said. Peter turned around to see Pepper standing there, staring at him. His face turned bright red, and he began to pull the mask on over his forehead. “Um… hello, Ms. Potts.” He stammered. “You’ve got to be kidding me. YOU’RE Spiderman?” she exclaimed. Peter shrugged, bashful. “If you could just tell me where Mr. Stark went, that would help a lot, Ms. Potts.” He asked.

“He’s off to visit a school, actually. Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters. You could probably catch him there.” Pepper answered easily, smiling. Peter thanked her, then ran up to the roof of Stark Tower. Taking a running start, Spiderman shot his web out to the next closest building. “Looks like I’m going old-school with this.” He muttered, grabbing his cell phone from his pocket and looking up the location of the school. Tony had technology on his side, so he was probably all the way there by now. It was going to be a long night.