Sequel: Just in Time

Mint Colored Eyes

Kelly

Speed was my specialty.

It came in handy more than once these last couple of years. Why trouble seemed to follow me wherever I went was beyond me. I was a magnet to weird crap like this. Well, Jordan always brought up the point that if I had kept my curiosity to myself, none of our travels would ever happen. Like, for when a mysterious blackmailer came to our school last year. I may have had picked up the wrong bag at the gym earlier that week from said blackmailer and me, not making the connection till later, gave the bag to Michael. All I could say is he was thankfully found before he lost any of his fingers.
I still haven't told him that it was my fault to begin with.

“You just slugged that man in the face!” Jordan exclaimed as I continued to run.

“Yep, and I don't want to be there when he wakes up.”

Right when that door opened, my body went into gear. I punched the balding grumpy man in the jaw and hopped over his limp body out the door. I didn't mean to knock him out. This body obviously had more power that what I was used to. Though balance was another issue. I slid on the white socks right into the wall before taking off down the bright sunny hallway. The other man standing there didn't have time to react to both incidents at once. I was gone before he could even do anything.

I slowed as the hallway soon branched off to larger one. The hardwood floor merged into a darker wood grain color telling me that the wing of the building we were residing in was a new addition. White walls continued down both hallways which kept the addition somewhat consistent. The floor boards creaked under every step I carefully took into the old part. There was chanting towards the left which merged off into a grand staircase. The chanting didn't sound like Occult work, but rather something I've heard at a pep rally or bar fight.

My spirit relaxed a tiny bit. So that strange charm I picked up at the French airport wasn't the cause of this. Like I said, I had a habit of doing things like that. I was not going to tell Michael about that though as well. In the couple seconds I had, instead of following the left, I decided to run towards the right. The hallway continued down some ways and I passed by a couple of people coming out of some rooms connected to the hallway. One was playing with a lighter while the other had his phone out texting someone. Both looked up briefly when they notice me running by.

It didn't take them long to hide back in the rooms. Jordan “politely” pointed out that there were some men in black uniforms coming after me. I could hear their heavy shoes stomping on the floor. The wet squeaks they made almost made it less threatening. I had noticed before out the windows the snowy ground. Meaning these men just came in from outside or at least just from down the stairs.

“Micah, stop!” one younger man shouted.

What did these people want from me?

I made a sharp turn around a corner down a new hallway only to quickly stop. Another couple black uniformed guards were conversing to each other. They looked to be guarding a door. Maybe if I wasn't already being followed by a couple of people shouting out the name “Micah” I could have gone by them nonchalantly. Though the stupid creaky floors were really what gave me away. They turned instantly knowing who I was. I backed up and ran the opposite way with two sets of guards on my tail.

The doors and windows were starting to repeat in setting. It was almost like we were in a fancy hotel or apartment building. I needed to figure out quickly why we were here and quick.

“Why?”

A voice seemed to echo into the back of my mind as I found myself slowing my feet. I felt my brow pinch together to the thought.

“Why does she have to run?”

The voice came again, this time from my mouth though I wasn't the one saying them. I shook my head trying to push the thoughts away and just keep moving. Jordan was frantically pointing out the fact I was slowing the pace. He tried to say three different things that only sounded stupid in my mind. Fighting back? Confuse the enemy and run around them? Jumping from a window? Each sounding more and more stupid. These were things I would not do and he knew that.

By this time, I had slowed my pace to an alarming slow rate. A couple more minutes and I would have surely been grabbed if I hadn't ran right into someone. The simple laws of inertia followed as the weight of the body fell right into the oblivious tiny woman locking a door.

“What is your problem?!” a familiar voice screamed into my ears.

I should have apologized, but instead I found myself staring directly in the face of a girl with too long hair in a pony tail and only a light pink gloss on her lips. Her pink top and yoga pants meant she was going to go work out and had loud music flowing out of tiny earbuds no longer in her ears. Just throw some heavy dark makeup over her eyes and remove the pink she was Audrey. A day ago she was in the back of the bus jamming out on some headphones in her own little world. Now she was here perfectly normal and not like us.

The men behind stopped as I tried to help the extremely ticked girl up to a sitting position. Her jaw clenched trying not to speak out her thoughts, kind of like Jordan did. Though the haze which was Jordan right now was just about as shocked as I was about the girl.

“Audrey! You're alive!” were the words that came out of my mouth.

“Hold on, who-”

“Where are the others? How did you survive from that crash?”

“Crash-”

Her eyes suddenly traced my face back and forth. Her thin eyebrows were pinched in confusion as she focused her attention on my face. The men behind us were not really sure what to do. They almost seemed scared to even approach us. Was it Audrey? Suddenly, her eyes drooped and she gave a little sigh.

“Oh, Micah... not again...”
♠ ♠ ♠
Meh. Don't really like this chapter that much.
At least things are getting to where I want them to go :)