Sequel: Just in Time

Mint Colored Eyes

Kelly

The tiny girl closed her eyes and dropped her shoulders with a little sigh. She moved her hand back and forth towards the guards and shooed them away. They all stood there dressed in their black uniforms and helmets looking confused. They were ordered to take this Micah, but she seemed to have a higher jurisdiction.

“I'll deal with this. I did last time, and will again. Back to your posts.”

Her words held a tinge of bitterness behind them that made Jordan and I shiver. This girl looked like Audrey, even sounded like her, but everything about her was wrong. The tiny girl was a master at being a ninja. Sometimes she would be in a conversation and we wouldn't even know it. She never did seem to mind when I brought it up. A smile actually came across her lips and she replied with a “thank you” and walked off. Her little gift of being quiet came in handy when we needed her help in the past. Though this time it was almost scary.

The guards slowly followed each other out of the crowded hallway and went back to work. The tiny girl quickly turned to me with a glare that bore into my soul. Her pencil thin eyebrows were pinched together and her pink lips curled into a scowl. Yet she did not say a word. That scared me the most. She stomped about gathering her things on the floor and threw her keys back into the lock of her room. Her key chains were pink and glistened in the hallway light.

“Kelly... is it okay to say that I am scared?”

I shook my head, “I am too...”

“It's not too late to jump out that window.”

I looked down the hall to see a large square window. Snow dust was blown across the window along with a streak of a bird. I really didn't want to think about how large of a drop that would be. I couldn't believe I was even considering the idea.

“Get in here!”

Jordan and I flinched at the harsh words and quickly entered through the open door. A small entry way lead into a fairly nice sized space that was a kitchen, living, and office all in one. The girl was mumbling to herself opening and closing drawers across the room at her designated office space. Chinese take out littered a coffee table just behind her and dishes were piled in the sink.

“Really... out of all the things I had to do today...”

Slamming another door she moved to the bookshelf next to her large tv. More mumbling followed as I stood there awkwardly unsure what to do. I let out a scream as she suddenly demanded to know my name.

“K-K-Kelly.”

Her frown deepened in her face and she pulled off a book off the shelf and chucked it at me. After nearly dropping the book I found a hard back cover in my hands. The picture was a silhouette image of three figures running away from some ominous looking figure. I stared at the cover, squinting my eyes towards the ominous figure feeling like I've seen it before. It wasn't until I noticed the odd title “Letters” did I realize just where I had seen it before. I threw open the book close to the end and scanned the rows of words for something familiar.

'The faster Kelly ran, the more it felt as if she was going nowhere. Time was slipping away like sand through the slippery slope of an hour glass and she was caught in the slide. There were no leads.
None.
She had exhausted her last “favor” from Cameron and there was still no word from Jordan. Kelly was alone on this hunt for the missing Michael. An orange sun was starting to dip in a clear sky, casting shadows of jagged shapes on the concrete. The familiar objects looked like monsters, laughing at her misfortune. This was all her fault in the beginning and her friend was going to pay for her mistake.'


I stared wide eyed at the page. Then I jumped to another page. And another. I flipped back and forth between several segments of the book and read everything of my adventure with the Blackmailer. Everything was there and freakishly correct.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shoort.
And hey, long time no see.
I should finish this story.