‹ Prequel: Come Wake Me Up
Status: finished. look out for the third story.

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

too much.

Rachel and I fall silent as a knocking on our door interrupts Disney Movie Thursday. “If it’s our neighbors with a noise complaint again,” I begin, pushing myself up from the couch and setting my beer down on the coffee table.
“We weren’t even being loud,” Rachel quickly adds. “Our neighbors are just assholes.”
“Amen.” I reach the door and pull it open, expecting to hear a word or two from the people who live below us. But that’s not even close to what I find.
“Virginia,” he greets breathlessly. Obviously, he took the stairs.
“What are you doing here?” I shoot back.
“I wanted to see you. We just got home, and—“
“I know you did. I thought we weren’t going to do this.” I cross my arms tightly over my chest.
“Gin, who’s at the door? I want to finish Hercules before midnight!” Rachel calls. I sigh heavily and cast a glance at her over my shoulder. She comes to the door curiously. “Oh my god. Why are you here?”
In true best friend style, her voice comes off harsh and definitely rude. “I wanted to see—“ His voice is cut off by the slamming of our door.
“I love you so much,” I tell Rachel. She looks at me, a frown on her face due to the tears in my eyes. “I didn’t want to see him because I knew this would happen.”
“Babe, it’s going to take more than a few months apart to get over him, and I know you don’t want to hear that. Just keep surrounding yourself with healthy distractions and Disney movies.” I let out a small laugh.
“I want to hate him so much, Rach.” I collapse back onto the couch and bury my face in a pillow, releasing a shriek of frustration.
“I know you do,” she sympathizes. She rubs my back in circles.
“I just don’t deal with cheating. It’s happened enough, and he swore he never would. Granted, he was beyond blacked out drunk—“
“Don’t reason for him, Virginia.” Rachel pulls the pillow from my face and yanks me into a sitting position. “He was exactly what you thought he wasn’t, and you know it. It’s not like you weren’t there. You saw it. Game over, dude.”
I frown again, knowing his intentions were good when we were together. Physically together, but I guess five months on the other side of the world tears a relationship apart quickly because “men have needs”. He’s got to be the biggest drunken asshole.
Yeah, well so do women, but at least I did it properly by walking out when he begged me not to.
Got you good, fucker.

My phone buzzes, and the screen lights up with the name Jack Barakat. I still talk to him occasionally. He texted me updates while they were touring Europe and South America, and he checked in on me weekly. Alex might be his best friend, but he’s still a genuinely caring guy.
I open the text from Jack, and it’s an audio file entitled Too Much. And I know it’s a song off their new record, which I’ve been occasionally getting a first listen to of the songs. There’s something about the title of this one that makes me not want to open it and listen, but I do anyways.
It might be one of my biggest regrets yet.
I know Alex writes songs, and I know there are songs about me. This one breaks me, brings me to tears.
Tears puts it lightly. I’m sobbing by the end of the song.
I miss him. I miss him so goddamn much, but I’ll never admit it to anyone but Rachel. He can bring his best game to get me back.
But we are never getting back together after the stunt he pulled.
Ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
i admit i miss seeing your face, babe,
and being alone is starting to take it's toll.
i'm cold,
but i should have known.