Time to Dance

Change of Plans

(Nate's POV)

"Slayers should always have good reflexes." I grinned in a rush of adrenaline. Alex did just save my life.

"Is that so, Mr. Urie?" Alex replied stepping back from me a bit.

"Alex what is it?" I asked as I watched her suddenly look down the street through the fog that was forming. I had this eerie feeling in my stomach.

"Nate..." Alex said. "Dimitri." She whispered as she started to walk away from me and through all the fighting going around us. I went after her but she started to run.

"Nate, stop her! Stop her at any cost!" I heard Pete yell.

"Alexandra, stop!" I said catching up to her and grabbing her arm.

"Let me go!" Alex said turning around and fighting me.

"Alex, I don't want to hurt you but I will do what I have to. Can't you see what you are doing?" I said as she tried to attack me but I blocked every move and punch.

"It's me. Listen to me. Just listen to my voice." I said trying to get through to her.

"You are in my way. You are just trying to keep me from where I belong." Alex shot back.

"No, Alex. This isn't you. Dimitri just wants to kill you. Alex, we belong together." I said.

"No!" Alex replied lunging at me with a stake she had on her.

"I got her!" My dad said. "Ok, don't got her." He said as Alex had elbowed his stomach.

"I guess we have to do this the hard way." I said lunging at Alex and knocking her to the ground. I pinned her hands behind her back.

"Sorry, son." My dad replied trying to catch his breath. "Here, let's take her down this alley." Dad replied as we pulled up a struggling Alex. She was like a wild animal the way she kept twisting and turning, trying to get away from us.

"You know I can take both of you." Alex taunted us. It hurt to see Alex this way but I knew it wasn't her. It was Dimitri's influence on her and I needed to find a way to break it.

"Nate, you have to do it. Its the only way." Dad said as he held Alex's left side.

"I don't want to." I debated.

"You have to. If you don't she is going to get away from us. Dimitri will win. You have to get her out of here." Dad reiterated.

"I might not stop. You know the risks each time I bite her." I said to my father.

"You won't bite me, Nate. You don't want to hurt me, remember?" Alex replied as my father looked at me.

"I'm sorry Alex but I have to protect my family." I said before I took a worried glance at my father.

"I trust you." I think I heard a glimpse of Alex fighting Dimitri's spell in my head.

I extended my fangs as Alex started to fight and break away from my dad and me. I closed my eyes as I sank my fangs into her. I drank until she stopped thrashing and went limp into my arms. Her breathing became shallow and I knew I had to get Alex somewhere to rest.

"Here." Dad said handing me some keys. "You remember where to go right? We'll be fine."

I nodded my head and held Alex in my arms. I took a running leap onto the fire escape of the building on the right of us and then hopped onto the roof. I just ran into the night leaping buildings until I knew I wasn't being followed.