Time to Dance

She Didn't Choose This Role

(Nate's POV)

"Ok, sleeping beauty. Home, sweet home for now; at least until it's safe." I said trying to open the door of the small apartment that was being used as a safehouse with Alex still unconcious in my arms.

I went inside and carefully checked behind me, down the hall of the building we were in, before I shut the door and locked it to make sure I wasn't followed one last time. Once I felt we were safe I laid Alexandra down on the double bed. The room wasn't much really. All that was here was one large room with a bathroom off the right side and a small closet. The kitchen and bedroom was all in one room. Yeah, it was just a tiny apartment but hey, at least we will be safe here.

I checked the tiny refridgerator to see that it was well stocked. I guess my father or Pete knew we would be staying in this place after everything that has happened in the last month. There were some blood packets but I don't think I will be needing them tonight. Alex would love to know that her favorite sodas are stocked in here. There was also some food. Not much but just enough for if we had to stay here a day or so, which reminds me. How are we going to get through graduation? Is there even going to be one for us now, with Dimitri tracking us down?

I decided to pull up one of the chairs from the kitchen table in between the bed and the apartment door. This apartment may look like a furnished dump but it was serving its purpose. One good thing about this place is that there is only one window and it is sealed nicely to keep the sunlight out.

I stared at Alex, who looked peaceful one minute, then conflicted as if her dreams were switching from good to bad and vice versa. I wanted to hold her and let her know how much she is loved. I wanted to prevent her from ever having nightmares again though I know that's not possible.

I would give my own life if it meant that Alexandra could live a normal life. That's how much I love her. That's how much I have always loved her. I was just a stupid boy who kept pushing aside how I really felt for the longest time. By the time I came to my senses, our little happy world came crashing down and everything our parents ever warned us about as kids came true. I feel like I am in some sort of horror movie, watching our lives played out.

I started to worry about my family and friends. Did they make it out ok? Was anyone hurt? Dimitri was beginning to be a thorn in my side. I needed to act quick. I know it is Alex's job to slay and kill vampires but Dimitri is going to pay one way or the other and I was going to be the one to do it.

"I promise he will not take you away from me." I said out loud as I clenched my fists together.

Somewhere between my worry lines and thinking cap, I fell asleep in the chair. I didn't stay asleep long as I woke up hearing Alex start to stir. I checked my watch to see it was a little after two a.m.

"Dimitri?" Alex whispered as she opened her eyes.

"Alex, we're safe now." I replied getting up out of the chair I had camped out in.

"You!" Alex replied, quickly springing out of the bed and lunging towards me.