Time to Dance

Everyone Has Secrets

"Oh my gosh!" I heard Kayla yell as me and Nate were standing at my locker. "Guess who walked past me without saying a word and is hanging out with that loser jock Jake." Kayla said slamming her backpack down and putting the books she needs for her next class.

"We know." Nate chimed in. "His loser new friend took my parking spot." He added.

"He did what? And you let him?" Kayla asked.

"Well, it wasn't like I had a choice you know. He was driving an suv." Nate said.

"Kayla on a lighter note, I have something to tell you." I said starting to smile. "But you can't tell anyone yet." I said.

"Ooh is it a secret?" She grinned.

"Sort of." I said.

All of a sudden the hallway got quiet and we all turned around. It was like watching a movie. Jake, his friends, and Dean all walked down the hallway. Dean was looking very scruffy where he hadn't shaved in a few days. He was headed my way.

"Hey, babe. You smell so fine." He said wrapping his arms around my waist which I could tell made Nate uncomfortable.

"Dean, get off me." I said taking his hands off me.

"What's a matter babe?" He asked acting totally different. There was even something different about his voice.

"You are. What you and your new friends did to Nate this morning was un called for." I said noticing that there was something different about his eyes as well.

"Oh, me and the boys were just messing around. Sorry man." He nodded at Nate.

"Since when do you hang out with the boys who started picking on us the other day that you got into a fight with?" Kayla asked raising an eyebrow.

"Oh we are all cool now. They understand me." Dean said eyeing me like I was a piece of meat.

"Dean you are making me feel uncomfortable." I said. "When has Jake ever understood you?" I asked.

"Listen here. Stop asking questions." He said slamming me into the lockers and hurting my arm.

"Let go of her!" Nate said trying to pry Dean off me.

"Back off!" Dean said with such force he sent Nate flying into the opposite wall.

"You are my property, you got that! You will start doing what I say. I am in charge!" Dean growled in my ear.

"No, you listen here!" I said pushing Dean with such a force he went flying back into some lockers on the wall he pushed Nate into. I felt this rage build up in me that I don't know where it came from.

"You will not ever speak to me like that again. I am not your property and will never be. We are through!" I said pinning him against the lockers.

"Alex!" Kayla said as some teachers were starting to check out the commotion in the hallway.

I let go of Dean and the fear he briefly had in his eyes changed back to normal. He then grinned a cocky smile at me and said, "We will see. You will take my side once the war starts." Then he took off down the hall leaving me in shock over what had just happened.

"Are you ok?" I asked Nate.

"Yeah, but I think I should ask you that question." He replied.

"He hurt you. I just..." I said as Nate pulled me close.

"Shh. It's ok. It's over now." He said pulling me into a kiss.

"No shit, this is what you were going to tell me about?" Kayla asked shocked but happy.