Time to Dance

When The Shock Sets In

"Yes Kayla. It just sort of happened yesterday." I laughed looking in Nate's eyes.

"I am so proud of you bro. It is about darn time. I knew that you two would be so cute together." Kayla said as Nate rolled his eyes.

The bell rang and Nate walked me to my first period. I shall see you at lunch." He said kissing me. Then I walked inside my horrible psychcology class.

After that class and my next one where I was a student aide, it was time for math class. I wasn't exactly happy because it was math but I was happy because Kayla and I shared it and so did Dean. I didn't think I could face him by myself if she wasn't here.

Class started and Dean didn't show up. Kayla sat beside me and the room was full. There was only one seat left if he decided to pop into class late and that was behind me. I looked at Kayla who shrugged her shoulders.

"I am so glad I didn't go out with him. Better you then me." She laughed quietly.

"Thanks." I said rolling my eyes.

It wasn't like Dean to skip class. He was always at school and in class unless he was sick. His mom always made sure that he went to school. He had plans of being in a band like his dad but his parents always told him school came first.

Halfway through our lesson, Kayla decided to pass me a note. In it she asked me what college I had decided to go to in the fall. I wrote back saying UCLA because it was close but even that I was unsure of. Something was holding me back from making future plans. I just couldn't place it.

Kayla threw the note back at me again. This time she said that she wanted to go to UCLA because her mom went there and that Brendon and Erelin both wanted her to stay in college while she handed out demos. In Kayla's mind, she was already a star waiting to be discovered and when she was, college was in the back of her mind.

"Thank goodness there is the bell." Kayla sighed picking up her bag.

"Do you think Dean will join is for lunch?" I asked as we walked to our locker.

"I don't know. Probably not if he is hanging out with those losers. He even dressed like them. It made me sick. I miss the old funny, loveable Dean." Kayla said.

"I do too." I said wanting to have my friendship back. I don't know why but the whole situation that occured earlier was playing with my mind.

"There is my gal." Nate said getting up from his seat at the lunch table once Kayla and I had made it in the lunchroom.

"Guys, isn't it great! They are now a couple!" Kayla blabbed forgetting that Nate and I wanted to keep it on the dl so not to hurt Dean's feelings.

"What?" Josh asked.

"Sorry, Josh. Dean and I broke up this morning." I said glaring daggers at Kayla.

"Wow and now you move on to Nate this quickly?" Josh replied angrily.

"Well, in case you didn't know Josh, your brother is acting weirdly. Plus, I was going to break up with him anyways because things weren't working out between us. I just wanted our friendship back. I can't expect you to understand. I know Dean is your brother." I sighed. "Please don't hate me or Nate though because of this." I replied.

"He started acting weird the day you came over and saw him. He mumbled in his sleep and his arm wound healed at an alarming rate. His whole attitude changed and he started calling Jake. He acted cool around mom and dad but his whole appearance was starting to change. He even got an attitude with me, his own brother." Josh explained.

"Well something needs to change." Nate said.

Just then Dean came strolling in with his new buddies. He stared at us and then sat over at his new table as if we didn't exist. "I won't tell him that you two are together." Josh sighed.

"Thank you." I said walking to where he was sitting and hugging him. Even though my back was turned I got the distinct feeling that Dean was watching me and not happy as I hugged his brother.

"Where is Lyra?" Olivia asked.

"That is a good question." Will said.

All of a sudden a tired and pale Lyra walked into the cafeteria. "Sorry, I am late. It was a rough night last night." She said.

"What happened?" Olivia asked.

"I went out walking last night and I just remember feeling so exhausted I crashed. I overslept. Sean didn't even wake me up before he left." She said.

"Dude, why are you wearing a scarf around your neck when it is almost ninety degrees outside?" Josh asked.

"It is not a winter scarf dummy. I just felt like wearing it. Maybe I am making a statement." She replied defensively.

"Are you sure you are ok?" I asked.

"I'm fine." She said in an angry tone.

"What is with you guys hounding me!" She said getting up and leaving the table with all of staring at each other at what just happened.

I saw Lyra walk by Dean and his new boys to see them all stare at her as if she was a target for something. Dean slammed his fist on the table. Well, isn't this a lovely day.