Time to Dance

Never Trust A Vampire

(Will's POV)

"Mom, I think it would be good for you grab a bite to eat after all with Dad. Plus with Dean upstairs since he woke up and they moved him to the other floor, you might want to check up on how your best friend, Bev is doing." I said as Dad looked over at me when I re-entered Alex's room.

"I said I don't want to leave. What if Alex wakes up and I miss it?" Mom replied.

"Mom, trust me. I will be right here. I won't go anywhere and that is what a cell phone is used for." I said reaching into my pocket and showing mom I have dad's number on speed dial.

"I am a little hungry." She grumbled
.
"See?" I replied.

"Thank you." Dad replied thanking me for getting mom out to eat but also in a baffled voice. I think he was picking up on something and I exactly tell him what that something was.

I waited a good ten minutes for mom and dad to leave so mom wouldn't feel Jace then I texted him as we had swapped numbers. I was beginning to think that mom wasn't going to leave but it seemed too easy. Why wouldn't she leave for Dad?

"Your time starts now." I said as soon as Jace walked into Alex's room. "I don't know how long mom and dad will be or if mom will change her mind and don't forget I am still in this room. I will be watching you the whole time." I replied as Jace nodded his head and walked over to where Alex was.

"She is hooked up to so many machines." Jace said as he pulled a chair up to Alex's bed.

"At least she is breathing on her own." I said glad that they didn't have to put Alex on a vent.

"You can tell Alex is a fighter." Jace smiled as he took Alex's hand. I just shook my head knowing that if Alex was to wake up she probably kill me for this.

"Alex gets it from our mother. They are both stubborn." I half smiled remembering all the stories we heard as kids.

"Her heart is good." Jace replied.

"Dude, now you are starting to freak me out." I said inching closer to him.

"No, I mean it is pumping stronger. I am not lusting for her blood if that's what you are thinking. I mean you are a vampire too. Don't you pick up on a person's vitals?" Jace asked.

"Um, let's see. How about a no since I don't drink living people's blood." I retorted.

"You bit Kayla. I am sure you know how her body reacted." Jace replied pushing my buttons.

"That was different. I am not a killer like you." I said clenching my fists. "Look, I can have you easily removed if you are just going to argue with me."

"Sorry, I was just stating the obvious. I think Alex is going to be ok. I have a feeling she will wake up soon." He replied looking back at my sister. "The transfusions have helped. Her color is looking better than last night's."

"Sometimes I wonder what she is dreaming." I let slip. "Does she even know we are here in her room?"

Jace looked at me and smiled. "I am sure she does. She has an amazing younger brother looking after her. I just wish I had my family to do that for me." Jace stopped.

"You had a family?" I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, a long time ago. I have been stuck like this for 200 years. I might be a monster but I still have all the memories from when I was alive. When I was turned all I wanted to do was live on the kill. Something changed the first time I saw Alex." Jace turned and said to me.

"From what Alex told me, you wanted to kill her that night at the school." I angrily replied.

"That was different. Yeah, she was the slayer. It is an instinct but she grew on me. I followed her at times. I watched her." Jace started to say.

"So you stalked your prey." I shook my head.

"No, it wasn't like that. She fascinated me. Out of all the years I have been alive and all the slayers in the past I had ever run into, Alex was different. I have never seen a slayer with so much love who was willing to do anything to save the ones she loves. Most slayers gave up too easily. If it helps I am trying to give up drinking human blood because of her but I doubt that makes you any trusting of me." Jace answered.

"Nope." I said. "You work for Dimitri and I am sure you are bound to tell him that Alex is still alive sooner or later."

"I don't exactly work for Dimitri. Dimitri turned me and killed my family in front of me before I died. I might have started working for him but I hate him with a passion more than anything. I broke away only to be swept back into his army against my will. If he knew what I was doing I would be killed instantly. I am more rogue as I try not to cross his path. I want to help you guys win." Jace replied.

"Why? What's in it for you? You know that when Alex defeats Dimitri you will die." I said.

"I know. I want to. I have done horrible things and brought death all around me for 200 years against my will. I didn't ask to be turned. It just happened. I didn't turn out good like the rest of your family. I realize that I cowardly drank and I got what I deserved. Your sister has changed me in a way. I know that she will never love me back or accept me but she has done something to me. I want to help her in return." Jace explained.

There was silence in the room after he said that. I looked at Alex and then at Jace. Maybe he was telling the truth but it was hard to believe. Never trust a vampire.

"Look!" Jace exclaimed as I saw Alex squeeze Jace's hand.

"Alex!" I yelled excitedly grabbing her other free hand. "It's Will. Can you hear me?" I asked as a smile crept across her face.

"Is she dreaming?" Jace asked.

"I don't know. I think she might be coming out of it." I said as Alex's hand twitched more. I looked at her face to see it turn sad. Her eyes started to flitter like they were trying to open.

"No." A mumbled cry escaped her lips. The heart monitors started to beep really fast.

"What's happening?" Jace asked backing away.

"I don't know!" I yelled.

"Nathaniel!" Alex shot up in bed awake.