Time to Dance

When The Guilt Falls On You

(Kayla's POV)

It had been several hours since Will left. Mom for whatever reason had yet to come upstairs. I sat against the closed door of the bedroom watching my father sleep; at least I think he was sleeping. It was now daylight and I wondered how Will was holding up at the hospital. I wanted Alex to be ok. I needed her to be ok. She was my best friend.

I sighed wondering if I should at least call Will to check up on Alex but I knew it wouldn't do me any good. Alex was still probably out of it. You would think as a twin I would know where my brother is but I haven't the slightest and that makes me feel a bit guilty. All I have is this gut instinct that something isn't right and I have no way of using that to help Alex to find Nate when she is better.

I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep. I started to have nightmares with Nate in them. He was reaching for me but I couldn't save him. Something was pulling him away from me. I heard the bed shake and snapped awake on alert. Dad had woken up and was not a happy camper.

"Kayla, honey, why am I tied up?" Dad asked sounding as if he was back to his old self but I knew better. I heard all the stories as kids about vampires. I slid up against the door and picked up the crossbow before I made my way in front of the bed.

"Dad?" I asked.

"Kayla, won't you untie me?" My father asked.

"No. This is a trick." I said.

"Kayla, I am your father and I order you to untie me!" Dad said thrashing around on the bed trying to undo his hand restraints.

"Mom!" I screamed but to no avail. I ran over and opened the bedroom door to be louder this time.

"Mom, dad's awake and he isn't happy!" I screamed.

"Kayla, you wait until I get out!" He hissed. I looked over to see that Dad had managed to undo one of his wrist restraints. It was only a matter of time before he got loose.

"Mom!" I screamed again. This time she heard me and frantically flew up the stairs.

"Ah, Erelin. Nice of you to join me and Kayla here." Dad grinned.

"Kayla, listen to me. I want you to take this crossbow and stay downstairs. Whatever happens if he gets loose, fly outside into the sunlight you hear?" Mom asked me.

"But Mom?" I pleaded.

"No butts, just go!" She said forcing me out of the room and locking the door behind her.

"Mom, no!" I banged and yelled at the door.

I flew downstairs to the edge of the steps and waited. I heard fighting going on upstairs and what sounded like a lamp being thrown. Then there was quietness.

"Mom?" I whispered before the bedroom door flew open and my father was running downstairs at super speed. I took off towards the sliding doors of the pool that were covered up.

"I will open them!" I threatened.

"You wouldn't. You can't kill your father." Dad said stepping closer to me monster like.

"I will! Don't come any closer." I said noticing he had blood on the corner of his mouth.

"Dad, I'm sorry." I said shooting my father with an arrow from the crossbow.

Dad went down and for a minute there seemed like silence before be spoke. "Kayla, you freakin shot me!" Dad replied as I carefully looked to see I had managed to shoot him in the right leg.

"I'm sorry Dad." I said noticing his eyes were back to normal. My dad was back.

"What have I told you? Always aim for the heart. But in this case I am glad you missed." Dad said sitting up as I ran to hug him.

"Mom?" I asked.

"I'm fine." She said coming down the steps looking a bit bruised up and her neck barely bleeding as she held a towel on it.

"Dad what happened to you?" I asked glad that he was back.

"It's a long story and one I will tell you but most importantly where is Nate?" Dad asked looking around the room.

"Kayla where is your brother?" He asked as if I should know.

"I don't know." I said looking down.

Dad explained what had happened to him and we filled him in the best we could on the events that have occured since he has been missing. Will came back by when it was dark to give us the update on Alex. I was glad that my best friend was alive and healing. I just didn't know how to tell her face to face that I can't find my brother.