Time to Dance

Make The World Go Away

"Well I was asleep until you just woke me." I rolled over slowly.

"Josh let me in. He said you hadn't been out very long. He went outside the door to call Lyra." Dean informed me in thinking I needed to know where my watchdog was.

"I really didn't need him here, Dean. It was only to make mom feel safe. Everyone thinks I am dead." I replied as Dean flipped my light on in my room.

"Thanks." I sarcastically replied as my eyes had to adjust to the brightness of the room.

"Sorry. Look, not everyone thinks you are dead. Let's start with a vampire named Jace. Does that ring any bells?" Dean asked.

"Did you come down here to lecture me?" I asked trying to change the subject. "By the way, how did you manage to come down here anyway? You still look like hell and where is Nonnie anyhow?" I asked.

"Nonnie is at home. She doesn't know I am down here. It's late you know. She saw me last night and earlier today. For the record, I don't mean to lecture you but Will told me before he left to talk to Kayla about you and this vampire named Jace. If he is working for Dimitri, Alex, then you are screwed." Dean replied sitting in a chair next to my bed.

"My brother had no buisness in talking about Jace." I said.

"It is all of our buisness if we all are in danger. Will needed someone to vent to and well I was in a hospital bed with nothing to do but heal." He said still wincing in some pain.

"I can't believe your parents or the nurses let you sneak down here." I said.

"Hey, I was always good at sneaking out. Aren't you?" Dean asked as I rolled my eyes.

"Look, Jace isn't a threat. I don't think he fully works for Dimitri. I might not know his whole story but..." I didn't get to finish.

"Jace is a full fledged vampire. You know the one with no soul who will turn on you at a moment's notice. I am surprised that Will let him in here to see you." Dean remarked.

I suddenly remembered that it wasn't that girl I was fighting when I woke up. It was Jace I attacked. He must have thought I was crazy.

"Jace saved my life. Will couldn't rush me to the hospital because he had Lizzie. Jace showed up and I was so upset over possibly dying and not being able to know what happened to Nate that he was the one who rushed me here." I tried to explain.

"Don't tell me you have feelings for that vampire?" Dean asked not really knowing the full story about Jace.

"I don't have feelings for him. He is a vampire but he did save my life. If he was working for Dimitri then why would he do that? Think about it. If he had told Dimitri about me being alive, don't you think Dimitri would already be here at the hospital trying to find me?" I asked.

"Look, just be careful." Dean said taking my hand in his. "I don't want to lose you again. When I woke up and learned..." He trailed.

"I'm fine." I said.

"Are you?" Dean asked pressing for more. I think he could sense I wasn't emotionally.

"I'm fine." I managed to get out again.

"I know you miss Nate. He should be here right now with you. This isn't fair, Alex." He said squeezing my hand tighter. I let go of his hand.

"Look, I will find Nate again." I said trying to be brave. "You shouldn't be here. Go back to your room." I ordered.

"You need company. You don't have to be alone." Dean replied.

"I have Josh. Thanks for your concern though." I smiled. "Dean, you need to think about Nonnie right now. Not me. Goodnight, Dean." I said rolling back over.

"I'm here if you want to talk." Dean said turning my light out before he left.

I didn't want to talk. I just wanted the world to go away. I heard Josh walk in my room and somehow I managed to drift back off to sleep.