Time to Dance

You've Got To Reach A Little More

"Can I come in?" I asked as I half knocked on Kayla's door.

"I'll just be downstairs." Will said getting up off Kayla's bed.

"It's good to see you up and about." Will whispered to me as he hugged me before he left. I shut the door behind him.

"So I see you know my big secret I wanted to tell you about now." Kayla smiled but I could tell she was dying inside; trying to mask her pain.

"Yeah. Your dad certainly knows how to make an entrance. He thought I was trying to kill myself." I half laughed.

"Alexandra!" Kayla looked hurt at me as I sat next to her on the bed.

"No, I just went for a swim and decided to sit at the bottom of the pool for a minute. Nothing to worry about. I wanted to think without distractions going on around me. I felt a presence and he was there on the patio." I explained. "I'm sorry I didn't want to come over or talk to you earlier. I just needed...space. I need time to heal."

"I think I am broken." Kayla responded. "It's all my fault. You would think I could know where my brother is but I can't. What is the point of being a twin if you can't..." She trailed.

"Kayla, there is nothing broken or wrong with you." I laughed. "If anything is broken I think it's me. Maybe I have failed you. I can't feel Nate either." I sighed.

"I don't understand. I mean yeah Dimitri was the last one who bit you so you would lose your connection with Nate in that sense but what about feeling him with your heart?" Kayla asked.

"That's just it. I don't feel him anywhere and its frustrating. Mom tells me I will know where he is and that I am just not focusing enough. She says she went through this with dad but if its the same why is it taking so long for me to figure out where Nate is?" I shook my head.

"Alex, if anyone can find my brother it is you. I have faith in you. Nate's bite is the only scar that remains on your neck and even though you can barely see it you know its there. Why is it there, because you two are meant to be. Why do I have a scar from your brother? Trust me when the time comes you will know. As for me..." Kayla stopped and just hugged me.

Kayla and I talked for another hour before I decided that it was getting too late and I really needed to try and sleep. I walked back over to my house and slipped in quietly so that Mom and Dad wouldn't ask me questions since they were now home with Lizzie. I climbed in my bed and turned off the light. It didn't take me too long to fall asleep and when I did I dreamed instantly.

I dreamed I was standing in a ballroom with candles everywhere. There were people all dressed up and a table along one wall filled with food and drinks. There was a pretty, huge, chandelier hanging in the center of the room and as I looked down I was wearing a beautiful red, strapless ballgown and a mask that covered just my eyes.

I know this place. I looked around the room to see all the happy people dancing. This was the same ballroom from previous dreams, just spruced up fancier. This was the ballroom where my mother fought Dracula and Volkmar. No wonder I am afraid of the woods. All along my connection to Dimitri has led me into the woods of Lookout Pointe and not far from there is a rebuilt mansion. I'm sure of it. That is where Dimitri will end up staying and lead me there. Why are there humans in my dream though?

"May I have this dance?" A familiar voice replied. I looked up to see the familiar stranger standing on the bottom step of the staircase in the ballroom with his right hand extended. He was wearing a tux with a mask, hiding his eyes.

I didn't want to take his hand yet I did. Something told me I should. The next thing I know I was being led out onto the dancefloor as everyone stepped away.