Time to Dance

Somewhere Between Buried And Alive

"You look beautiful, Alexandra." Nate whispered in my ear.

"Nate." I said leaning into him closer. I didn't want to let him go. I knew this was a dream but I didn't care. I wanted to hold onto it for as long as I can.

"What is this? Why are there people around?" I asked.

"Don't be afraid. This is your party." Nate replied. "It's a masquerade ball and you are the guest of honor."

"Are you alive?" I asked.

"I'm buried." Nate replied as he twirled me around on the floor.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.

"You need to focus on more important things like your family and friends. You don't have much time left." Nate said as I looked around to see my family and friends were all around dressed up as well. They didn't look too happy. They all were worried about something.

"I'm not who you think I am." Nate replied with his fangs extended and lunging towards my neck.

I woke up in a sweat. I looked at my alarm clock to see it was after eight a.m. and grabbed my neck. No bite. It was just a dream; a strange one at that. How could Nate be buried and not who I think he was?

I put on a pair of sweats and a tshirt and walked down to the kitchen. Mom was making breakfast. I haven't had breakfast from her in a long time.

"Mom, what's all this?" I said noticing a plate full of scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage on the counter. She was also making pancakes as Lizzie sat sleepily at the kitchen table.

"I'm making my girls breakfast. Don't knock it. I bet you haven't had a decent one since I've been away. You girls need your nourishment. I can't have two slayers without energy. Plus it's like a celebration since the whole family is back together." Mom replied as I poured me a glass of orange juice.

"Right." I said rolling my eyes. "Dad and Will are holed up in their rooms and can't eat. You made way too much food." I said grabbing a plate.

"Nonsense." Mom said as the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it." Lizzie replied.

"I invited all your friends who can eat." Mom said.

"Why, so we can all gather around and talk about how miserable we all are and how we are going to kill Dimitri and protect ourselves?" I rolled my eyes. "We can't be normal, mom. I can't sit around and ask how someone's day is when we all know." I said sitting down to the table.

"Alexandra, that's enough." Mom snapped as Nonnie, Kayla, Dean, and the others all piled in.

I played the good girl. I acted as if everything was fine and that things were back to the way they used to be since mom wanted it that way. We weren't normal and things weren't ever going to be that way again. I didn't see the point but for mom I tried to be my old self.

After breakfast, I took off towards the old house to train. I started doing exercises and ran around the block even. I got sick of running so I came back inside the house and set up the punching bag. I whaled on it thinking about Nate and our night together and how he has been ripped out of my life. I punched so hard that the stuffing began to fall out of the bag.

That was it. Tonight I was going out patrolling alone. I wanted answers. I know mom and dad wanted me to go out with someone but I wanted to beat any vampire I could find. Dimitri wasn't supposed to know I was alive yet but I didn't care. This slayer has had enough. If Nate was out there somewhere I was going to find him. I'm done playing the victim.