Time to Dance

I Caught Myself

"You came back." Jace replied surprised as he opened his door to the apartment he was staying in.

"I can't deal with my family right now." I said tossing my keys and purse on a chair. "Why? Why did you bring me here last night?" I asked a little mad.

"Did I get you in trouble?" Jace asked apologetically.

"Not more than the usual. I didn't tell them about you if that's what you are wondering." I said pacing.

"Look, will you just sit down already? You're making me nervous." Jace said.

"I'm making you nervous? Ha." I rolled my eyes as I sat in a chair across from Jace who was on the couch.

"You were exhausted. You needed rest and to be somewhere quiet. That is why I brought you here to my home. Well, that and the fact that if I came anywhere near your house, I wouldn't even have a chance at survival." Jace laughed. He made me smile a bit.

"Why did you really come back here Alex? Out of all the places you could have run to, why me?" Jace asked.

"I don't know. Maybe because of how insane this all is, you are the one person I feel I can talk to right now. It's crazy. You're a vampire and my job is to kill vampires, yet here I am sitting on your couch. Wait, this is your apartment, right? Like, this isn't someone else's that you killed or anything?" I rambled.

"This is all legit. It's mine. I told you, I don't drink human blood, well, blood from alive humans. It's all from a blood bank or animal blood." Jace laughed. It wasn't an evil laugh. It was a laugh that seemed normal and genuine. The more I looked at Jace, I could see how hard he was trying to fit in and be good. Yet, I had to still be on guard around him. There was an inner struggle in him fighting to remain bad.

"What's it like?" I asked as I moved over to the couch and sat next to Jace.

"What's what like?" Jace asked confused.

"I used to want to follow Dimitri. He had a hold on me until I broke it and refused to let him control me. I wanted nothing more than to be with him. It was like a curse for awhile. My father blamed himself thinking he caused it the day he bit my mother when she was pregnant with me. I was different. I had a dark side and still do but I keep it in check. I know you are stuggling." I stopped.

"Well, being a vampire has it advantages; you're strong and fast. You can jump off buildings and land on your feet, and then there also comes the thirst. We are always hungry, searching for human blood. Downside is that according to you humans, plus the whole vampires can't go out into the sun without frying and turning to dust thing. Yeah, total mood killer but you already know all this." Jace smiled as he leaned in closer to me.

"You don't want this life, Alex. If you think that this would fix things between you and Nate, you're wrong." He added realizing why I asked my question.

We both sat in an awkward silence for a few minutes. The more I was around Jace, I was starting to be my old self again. We had a dangerous connection going on. If I didn't know any better Jace was growing on me and part of me deep down liked it. No, I can't have feelings for Jace. I love Nate.

I pushed away from Jace. "Alex, are you feeling ok? You just scooted to the end of the couch like I was diseased or something." He replied.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I covered as I pushed a strand of hair behind my left ear.

"Alex, you kill vampires. I killed people. Vampires kill people. It is a whole lot different than you killing us. It's easy for us to kill humans. They are our prey. Hunting them, stalking them; it's all the same. Ripping your throat out, snapping your neck, draining the life as we drink is not a pretty sight but to feel that warm drops of oozing blood that's all we care about. I know you're boyfriend is one of the good guys but deep down he knows what it's like to have the need to crave human blood. It's a battle for him and right now, I think he is starting to crack from whatever it is Dimitri has done. You don't want this life good vampire or not. I won't let you." He explained trying to talk some sense into me.

"Is it wrong of me to want Nate to bite me everytime I am around him? I'm not saying it happened every time and he fights that feeling as best as he can but its happened. It's like a drug. The bite hurts at first, but then feels so good. I know I have loved Nate since before all of this vampire stuff happened but am I wanting to save him more because I am jealous of this Sara girl and want Nate all to myself? Am I too addicted to him because of our connection thats now faded?" I asked not knowing where this is all coming from.

"Alex, I have watched you as I said before. I have seen how you are with Nate. I have seen the actual true love that exists in your eyes. The connection that you think is broken with Nate is temporarily lost but I believe it will be found. You can save Nate and not because of an addiction. All this vampire talk is making my head hurt. Are you hungry?" Jace asked being a gentleman.

I didn't get to answer as Dean and my brother Will knocked down the living room door of Jace's apartment. Jace and I both darted up from the couch startled. "Get the hell away from her!" Will screamed baring his fangs. This can't be good.