Time to Dance

Rooftop Tumble

Something lured me away from my friends and family that I love. Seeing Nate a few feet in front of me on the roof made me think that maybe everyone was right when they told me I would start to feel Nate again. Maybe Nate was trying to come back to me and fight harder this time, or maybe it was just another trick. All I know is that my heart was pounding harder than it ever had and a feeling in the pit of my stomach was starting to return back to good.

"Stay back." Nate growled at me as he fell to his knees. He was weak that much I could tell.

"What has Dimitri done to you?" I asked as my heart was breaking. I walked over to Nate carefully; stake in hand until I was standing in front of him.

Nate grabbed my waist and held on. He didn't speak. I dropped my stake and ran my fingers through his hair as he placed his head against me.

"It's going to be ok." I said comforting him as Nate began to cry.

"I see images...terrible things. I want blood. I'm so tired." Nate replied.

"I can get you help." I said.

"I don't need help." Nate replied; voice changing into a darker tone. With that he grabbed my left wrist and bit down hard. I managed to scream in pain and pushed him off me.

I reached down for my stake but Nate managed to have enough energy to get up and tackle me to the ground. He had me pinned at first but I headbutted him and had him pinned. His fangs were out and Nate was still trying to fight me as blood rushed down my wrist.

"You're nothing to me but a meal and when I get my hands on you, you are going to wish you were dead already!" Nate yelled at me but I punched him hard knocking him out.

"Sorry, Nate but it doesn't have to be this way." I said as I got up off him. I crawled a little way away from him and held my wrist trying to stop the bleeding. I knew it would heal but I didn't want to take any chances.

After about thirty minutes had gone by, Nate came to. He sat up and looked at me. At first his eyes were the piercing stare but then they flashed back into the soft, caring eyes they used to be. I could tell that Nate was still very conflicted yet he had to be fighting or else he wouldn't have starved himself for this long.

I decided to give him a test. If my Nate was still in there, he wouldn't want any harm come to me. If he was the monster, he wouldn't care. I got up and hopped up on the edge of the roof.

"What are you doing?" Nate blinked confused as I looked down behind me on the ledge. If I fell, well I would be dead if he didn't rescue me. Vampires are quick and can land on their feet so if he wants to fight this will get his attention.

"Alex, no!" I heard as I jumped off the ledge falling to my death.

I didn't die however. I felt two arms catch me as I held my breath and before I knew it we were both safe on the ground. All I could do was laugh.

"What the hell kind of stunt was that?" Nate asked appearing worried.

"Oh, so you remember me now?" I asked.

"I know you are the slayer." He said starting to wobble on me.

"Whoa, there." I said helping him to stand. I hope I didn't drain the last of Nate's energy.

"I'm fine. I don't need help from you. I just need to go back..." Nate stopped.

"You just need to go back to Dimitri." I huffed. "Go ahead tell him I am alive too while you are at it." I said realizing I was getting nowhere.

"Alex, there is something about you. I don't know what it is. I feel it but can't place it." Nate said.

"Maybe you aren't looking hard enough." I said placing my left hand over his heart.

"I don't have a heart." He replied looking down.

"Yes, you do. Why do you think you are fighting Dimitri's control?" I asked.

"I'm supposed to take you in." Nate said backing me into a wall.

"But you don't." I breathed as Nate leaned in dangerously close to me.

"I'm still a monster." Nate grabbed my left wrist. "Slayer's blood tastes so sweet." He said examining the bite wound that was now starting to heal.

"I told you the other night to go ahead and take what you need." I said offering my neck again. This time I closed my eyes as Nate leaned in. I was expecting him to bite me but I was suddenly pulled into a passionate kiss. All the sparks I used to feel and stopped feeling for Nate were back. I just wish he could figure his out.

"Come with me." Nate broke our kiss.

"Where?" I asked as he held my wrist and dragged me along. "Are you taking me to Dimitri?" I asked.

"You'll see." Nate replied. This can't be good.