Time to Dance

Alone

I sat silently staring out the window of the passenger's side of the backseat as my Dad drove us all home. There were no words for me to say and I was using any energy to block Nate out of my thoughts. How could he betray me like that? The pain hurt too much.

"I'm here if you want to talk." Jace whispered as he touched my hand briefly. It took me a minute to even register that he had been sitting next to me the whole time. Will was on the other side of him. I glanced over at Jace.

"Oh my gosh, your face! What did you do to Jace, Dad? Will you weren't supposed to let this happen!" I yelled in the car.

"Shh. Alex, I'm ok. It will heal. Yeah, I took a beating from your family but most of the damage was from saving Brendon's wife and your sister. Will and Dean tried to protect me." Jace said trying to soothe me. I was already upset. I didn't need this.

"Alexandra you have some explaining to do. I don't trust vampires that aren't like us but he did save Lizzie's life when your mother and I couldn't get to her." Dad spoke up.

"And he did save Erelin's life too." Brendon added. "You see while we were waiting for you to show up, we got ambushed. It was Dimitri's guards. His men have gotten stronger and there is alot more of them."

"Will kept trying to call you. Why did you feel the need to separate from us?" Jace asked.

"I don't know. I just did. Look, I don't want to talk about it right now." I said returning back to gazing out the window.

We arrived back at my house. I was mentally exhausted and all I wanted to do was crash in my own bed. I got out of the car knowing that Nate was nearby lurking. It sent shivers down my spine.

"Sorry but I hope you understand that I can't invite you into our home." My dad said.

"I do. If I was you, I wouldn't trust me either." Jace replied. "Look, Alex, you know how to contact me if you want to talk about tonight. Don't worry about me. I will be fine. I'm just glad you are safe now." Jace said before kissing my right hand. Then I watched him take off into the night.

"You're safe now." Will said putting his arm around me.

"I don't feel safe. Nate is out there. I feel him. I think I pissed him off." I replied.

"Alex, what happened tonight?" Will asked worried as we stood on our front porch. Dad and Brendon had went inside.

"I don't want to talk about it. I will say that I let him bite me and it felt very good. It was different than before. Intoxicating. I won't let him control me however. I think if I can fight off Dimitri's advances I can fight off Nate's now." I said.

"Come on. Mom wants to talk. She is concerned for you." Will said trying to coax me inside.

"Can you stall her? I just want to sleep." I replied.

"I'll try." Will replied as I took one last look behind me before walking into my house.

"Alex." Brendon managed to stop me on my way to my room. I was trying to hurry and escape to it before Mom or anyone else decided to stop me but that didn't happen.

"Look, Brendon, I know that Nate is your son. I know this is hard and what I have to say isn't going to be easy for you to digest but I can't do this right now. I'm exhausted and it's late." I said heading into my room.

"What if I told you there may be a way to save Nate?" Brendon replied as he grabbed my arm to stop me.

"It's too late for that." I said brushing him off and closing the door behind me, locking it.

I grabbed some pajamas and slipped into them. As I walked my my nightstand I saw something I thought I had lost. I suppose my mom had put it there when I was in the hospital for safe keeping since the hospital removes all that. There on the night stand was the silver ring Nate had gotten me that I put on a silver chain so that I would never lose it and he would always be close to my heart.

I picked it up remembering what Nate had told me the night he gave it to me. Nate told me it was a promise ring and that he would always be here for me no matter what. I looked on the inside of the ring to see the inscription that read, "Two hearts that beat as one forever". What a crock of crap. I tossed the necklace on the floor and climbed into bed. I fell asleep to tear stained eyes.