Time to Dance

Fair Warning

Once again I drifted off into dreamland. I was standing at the top of the stairs of a mansion. As I looked down at the floor, I noticed I had on the same red dress I had on in a previous dream. In fact the setting was exactly the same. My dreams always happen for a reason. It's a warning that something big is coming.

I looked around for Dimitri but he was nowhere to be seen in my dream. I grabbed the banister and walked down the stairs that led into the ballroom. As before, humans were mingling, dancing, and laughing. Everyone was dressed for a ball and wearing masks. They were oblivious to the danger that loomed around them as vampires were around every possible exit.

"May I have this dance?" Nate replied in my ear, behind me.

I turned to face him. "No." I replied. Nate had on a nice tuxedo.

"You really shouldn't have said that." Nate said taking my hands and forcing me close to him.

"Stop invading my dreams. It's over." I said pushing him away and turning to leave.

"You still don't get it do you?" Nate laughed. "That vampire can't protect you."

"Leave Jace alone." I angrily replied.

"Or else what, you'll kill me? If I didn't know any better I think you have feelings for him. He will never be like me and you know that. Why even waste you're time?" Nate asked.

"If you are implying if I love him the answer is no. Jace is my friend and I know he will never have a soul but he is trying to redeem himself and that says something unlike you!" I yelled.

"That really hurts." Nate mocked as he clutched his heart.

"You used me, tricked and betrayed me. I want to know why since you have convienantly brought me here." I demanded.

"Dance with me." Nate said sticking out his hand. I sighed knowing Nate would never tell me the answer.

"This is going to happen." Nate replied pointing to everyone before I took his hand for a dance. "Innocent people are going to die by Dimitri. He is going to trick them into thinking there is a very important ball. You are one of the guests of honor. By running away from me you only prevented this event from occuring until a little later but it will happen. You will know when." Nate said as we danced.

"So Dimitri wants to kill me I already know but that still doesn't explain why all these people are here." I replied.

"He wants to cause a scene. Remember prom and graduation? Dimitri wants to prove himself where his brothers failed." Nate answered.

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked.

"I will never hurt you." Nate replied.

"You're wrong Nate. You've hurt me deep. I don't think I can forgive you. In fact stay away from me. I can't save you." I said pulling away from Nate. His eyes became saddened.

"Look harder. Two hearts that beat as one." He whispered.

I woke up in a sweat sitting up in my bed. My window was cracked open and I could feel a slight breeze. The sun was just about to come up. I looked down at my chest and wrapped my fingers around the necklace I had tossed to the floor earlier. I didn't put it around my neck but someone did and it had to have been Nate.