Time to Dance

Easy Distractions

I made it home in time to find my sister Lizzie was over at Patrick's to hang out with Olivia, his daughter, and Andy's twins Allison and Casey. Nonnie, Lyra, and Kayla were all sitting on the living room couch. Mom was sitting in a chair.

"Um, mom, what is this?" I asked. "I thought you were making dinner for me and Lizzie."

"Well, I was but Kayla called me and asked if her and the girls could come over." Mom replied.

"Alex, we all feel that we've become distant lately with everything going on. We feel we've both haven't been there for each other and that it is time to reflect on things. You're my best friend Alex and since you're accident, we've been distant. I am not here to talk to you about my brother. I know you tried everything to get him to see the light and come home. Lyra, Nonnie, and I just want to take you out to dinner somewhere and chat like we used to." Kayla pleaded.

"I miss talking to you about my boy problems. I mean, you're my go to gal on vampire boy problems." Lyra smiled as she thought about Josh.

"I'm afraid I can't even help you on that subject anymore." I said sighing.

"Look, I know we haven't gotten off on the right foot either. I'm sorry. I know Dean loves me and I need to trust him more. I also know that you two will always have a history together as friends. I have to accept that." Nonnie spoke up.

"So please will you go out with us like old times?" Kayla begged.

"I'm not dressed to go out." I said taking Nate's hoodie and keeping it in my hands behind my back.

"Let's see, jeans and a tshirt. What more do you need?" Lyra laughed.

"But I'm not all girly like you guys." I laughed.

"Eh, who cares." Kayla replied getting up and taking my arm. "We'll have her back before it is too late tonight." She said leading me out the door. I looked at my mom on the way out who just smiled at me and shrugged her shoulders. So much for a quiet evening alone.

"So tell me all about this Jace." Lyra went on as soon as I climbed into the front passenger seat of Erelin's minivan.

"Yeah. He's pretty hot for a dead guy. Just don't tell Will I said that." Kayla replied getting into the driver's seat.

"Out of all the cars your parents own, you chose the minivan?" I laughed trying to change the subject. Everyone laughed.

"I guess I did. So spill about Jace." Kayla demanded as she pulled out of my driveway.

"Yes M'am." I laughed. "How about telling me where you are taking me first."

"Not a chance. Spill." Nonnie said from the backseat.

I sighed and told them everything about Jace. The girls sat in silence for a minute. Then the silence was broken by Lyra.

"I think he likes you." Lyra replied. "He had those googily eyes the other night after Will saved him from Brendon and your Dad pounding him. Whenever someone spoke your name he lit up. Can you really trust him? I mean he is a real vampire."

"Jace is good looking. I'm not going to lie but he is a vampire. I believe I can trust him. He hasn't given me a reason not to. And yes, I know he likes me. That's why he is helping me." I replied.

"You do realize that if and when you defeat Dimitri, Jace will die with all the other vampires, right? I hope you just don't get too attached to him." Nonnie responded.

"I understand that and so does Jace. He wants to go. He doesn't want to live as a vampire anymore. Jace is remorseful to a point about his life." I said. "Jace just understands me more than anyone right now." I mumbled as I slouched in my seat.

"What was that?" Kayla asked.

"Nothing." I said as I fumbled with Nate's hoodie I held in my hands. I didn't have a chance to put it down when I was inside and it gets chilly at night anyways.

The girls ended up taking me to some fancy restaurant. I felt embarassed that I wasn't dressed properly but one advantage of being a rockstar's kid is that you can get in anywhere and it didn't matter what you had on. I mainly felt uncomfortable that the girls wanted to pay for an expensive dinner for me.

"I know you feel uncomfortable but relax." Nonnie said looking at what I was wearing when the waiter seated us.

"It's not that. You guys this place is really expensive." I said.

"Hello, it's not like our Dads hasn't given us an allowance." Lyra said.

"Easy for you to say." Nonnie said.

"I'm buying everyone's. It's my treat. Daddy gave me his credit card to use for emergencies and well this covers as one. Girl time." Kayla remarked as we all laughed.

The waiter came around placing our napkins in our laps and giving us fresh ice water. Then he took our drink orders and returned with them to place our dinner order. I wasn't that hungry so I just ordered a salad. Lyra, Nonnie, and Kayla all talked amongst themselves and I sat there pretending to listen to their conversation but my mind wandered.

Why was I wearing Nate's ring? Why did I have the urge to wear his hoodie tonight? Nate was on my mind no matter how hard I tried to shut out any thoughts of him. At least the girls didn't know I had on his ring. It was tucked away inside my shirt so no one could see.

I reached for my water glass. "I was only looking for a shortcut home. But it's complicated. Watch your back, I'm watching." Nate replied in my thoughts scaring me and taking me off guard. I knocked over my water glass, spilling water all over the table.

"I'm sorry. So sorry." I said taking my napkin and dabbing up water off the fancy tablecloth.

"Alex, relax. It's ok. The waiter will get a new glass." Lyra said.

"Are you ok?" Kayla asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I smiled. "I just got a little clumsy is all." I lied. I let my guard down. Nate wandered into my thoughts. It won't happen again and I won't let him hurt my friends. The rest of the night I would be on guard.