Time to Dance

A Will To Live

"Alex, this is Rachael Daniels. She is the social worker now assigned to this case." Brendon said as I squeezed Nate's hand again.

"You aren't going to take my family away are you?" I asked.

"No, Alex. I see that you are an adult now as of today am I right?" Rachael asked.

I nodded my head. "What I am here for is to check on you. With your mom in the hospital and your dad um..." She stopped.

"He's missing. I know. You can go ahead and say it." I sighed worried.

"Mrs. Daniels has asked that Erelin and I watch over you and make sure you get food and such." Brendon said making me smile that my brother and sister would be staying with me.

"I will however be calling or visiting to check on you guys to make sure you are staying in school, have food, and such until your mother is able to be released from the hospital. I am sorry that this has happened to your family, Alex but you have a huge extended family I see and hear about from Mr. Urie who I know will look out for you." She smiled handing me a card and then turned to walk away.

"Dad are there any leads on Uncle Pete?" Nate asked because I was afraid to.

"No. I wish I had something to report on." Brendon said placing his hand on my shoulder to comfort me.

Nate walked me back into the waiting room with his dad behind us. It was getting late. Lizzie fell asleep on Will's arm. Pretty soon everyone started leaving one by one except for Nate, my siblings, Kayla, Erelin, and Brendon. I fell asleep on Nate's shoulder.

I was woken up an hour later by a doctor. "Ms. Wentz, your mother has been stabilized and moved to an ICU room. You may go in and see her now." The doctor said guiding everyone to her room.

"Please just visit shortly and one at a time." He said leaving.

"I don't want to go in alone." Lizzie replied.

"It's ok, Liz. You can walk in with me." Will replied as he held her hand.

A few minutes later it was my turn to walk in. "Do you want me to go in with you?" Nate asked.

"No. I need to do this by myself." I said letting go of his hand.

I walked into my mom's room and stood in shock for a few seconds. Mom was hooked up to all these monitors. The good thing was that she was breathing on her own.

I walked to her bed and pulled a chair up. I grabbed her bandaged hand that had an IV in it and held onto it. Then, I felt the tears start to fall.

"Mom, its me, Alex. I don't know if you can hear me but I am here. I need you, mom. We all need you. I don't think I can take care of Will and Lizzie. I am not as strong as you are." I said.

"Dad is missing. The police can't find him. I am afraid he is hurt somewhere. Mom please wake up and open your eyes. My world seems to be falling apart. Grams tried to warn me in my dreams about something. I know I should have told you sooner about seeing her but I was afraid I would lose you." I said.

I started to hear louder beeping and then I heard the flatline noise. I couldn't move. I couldn't think but I was forced to move as nurses, and doctors flooded my mom's room and started yelling orders and performing CPR.

"Miss, it is best if you wait outside the room." A nurse said shooing me out. I stood at the doorway. This wasn't happening.

"Nate, I can't lose her! Mom!" I started screaming and trying to run back into the room. "Mom!" I screamed.

"Alex, let them do their job." Nate replied holding me back.

A few minutes later a doctor came out. "We thought that we were going to lose her there but she fought back. We stabilized your mother again. Oddly enough, her wounds are healing at an exceptional rate. No one heals that fast. If only we can get her to wake up out of the coma like state she is in." He replied shocked as I looked at Nate.