Time to Dance

Loss Of Responsibility

A few days passed and there was still no word on Nate or my father. Everything had become a blur, yet everyone was so calm about everything. My brother, sister, friends, mom and dad's friends, everyone remained so calm. It was as if they were worried but they knew that my dad and Nate would come home soon.

Erelin was like me. She was always calling the police for updates and didn't want to think the wordt but did. Brendon kept telling her that she was over reacting. Kayla was worried but when I talked to her it was if she was ok with everything. I felt like I was living in a horror movie gone bad.

I found out that Lyra had been sneaking out late at night with some boy and Chrissy and Andy had grounded her over it. Was I losing my mind? I couldn't even concentrate at school. It wasn't the same without Nate having lunch with me or walking me to class. I felt alone and I couldn't talk to anyone about it. Everyone seemed brainwashed or something.

"So, Alex, prom is coming up. Have you thought about what color dress you want to wear to prom?" Lyra asked at lunch.

"You are asking me about prom at a time like this? I can't believe you." I said pissed.

"What?" It's our senior prom. I mean everyone is going, even Kayla and your brother." Lyra said.

"How can you go to prom with your brother out there somewhere?" I asked looking straight at Kayla.

"I know that the police will find him eventually. It's prom." She laughed.

I got up from the table pissed off. I ditched school the rest of the day and drove my mom's car home from school. I couldn't deal.

Once I dropped my books off I left a note for Will telling him to fix dinner. I would be back whenever if anyone seemed to care. I went upstairs and changed into my bathing suit and placed my clothes on over it. Then I left and headed to the one spot I could clear my head; the beach.

There was this private beach sort of that I used to sneak away to with my friends when they were acting like my friends. Most of the local kids hung out here instead of the public beach. There was too many tourists.

I stayed here swimming, floating and watching the sun set. I sat up on the beach for that and as darkness started to fall I shivered as it turned chilly. I didn't care about anything really at this point right now but feeling free of any responsibilty.

I got up and dusted the sand off and started to walk down the beach to get to the place I parked the car. I turned as I saw three men coming towards me. There was something about them I didn't like.

I started to run but they outran me and surrounded me. "What do you want?" I yelled. "I don't have anything." I said.

"Oh, we want you. What's a nice girl like you doing out here all by yourself?" One guy said touching my arm.

"Don't touch me!" I snapped.

"Or else what?" Another vampire said grabbing me. I pushed him and took off running again but was grabbed from behind.

"Let me go!" I yelled trying to fight for my life.

"What do you say, Duncan? Dinner?" I watched as the guy speaking changed his face to where he had fangs.

"No! You aren't real!" I said trying to break loose from the guy who had me.

"Oh, girly, we are real and you are our next victim." He said leaning into my neck.

I closed my eyes as I was losing this fight. Then, I opened them. The vampire that had me took off and there was a figure fighting off the other two vampires. I watched as they turned to dust.

My heart started to race. That familiar feeling came over me again. I backed away as the person who saved me started to turn around.

"Nate? I asked as I barely saw his face in the moonlight. "Nate!" I yelled ignoring everything that had happened.

I grabbed him and held him but he seemed so cold. "Nate, what's wrong? Why aren't you talking?" I asked looking in his eyes. They seemed different.

"I'm sorry, it has to be this way, Alexandra. It's not time yet." Nate said as I felt paralyzed.

"Nate, I..." I tried to say.

"Shh." He said as he kissed me. I was afraid I would never feel his kiss or his touch again. I didn't want it to end.

Nate then looked at me. His face changed as I saw fangs start to slide out of his mouth. I tried to back up but couldn't.

"No! Your one of them!" I screamed. "Let me go!" I screamed again.

"I can't. It's better this way. You aren't ready and I have to keep you safe." Nate said kissing my neck and then biting me.

I moaned out from the pain but still couldn't move. When he was done he looked at me as I started to feel dizzy. "You won't remember this." He said as I collapsed in his arms.

I could feel him carrying me somewhere. The next thing I knew I was passed over to someone else. What was happening to me?

"I will take her home. You know what to do." I heard my father's voice.

"Dad?" I said barely in a whisper before completely passed out.