Time to Dance

Dress Shopping

"What do you think about this dress?" Lyra asked as we went into one store looking for prom dresses.

"I don't know." Kayla said.

"I don't like the color." I said.

"What's not to love about black?" Lyra asked.

"Nothing but that dress makes you look like you are going to a funeral and not to a prom." Kayla replied.

"She said it, not me." I said backing away as Lyra gave us the evil eye.

"So you really don't remember how you got those marks on your neck?" Lyra said as she put down the first dress she picked out.

"I don't remember." I said wondering what brought that up all of a sudden again.

"Hey, I think I found the perfect dress!" Kayla squealed. She held up this beautiful green dress.

"I think that looks perfect on you." I said. "My brother won't know what hit him." I laughed.

"It's good to see you laughing again, Alex. I know with my brother gone, this is hard on you." Kayla said as she walked away to look at matching shoes.

I decided to let her comment go. In my heart I knew that Nate was not gone. How could she say that about her own brother? I grabbed the ring around my neck and held it for a few seconds. I didn't want to believe that Nate was never coming back. Something inside me wanted to scream that I would see him again.

"Alex, how about this one?" Lyra said holding up another black dress.

"Doesn't it scream bite me?" Lyra squealed.

"What is it with you and black all of a sudden?" I sighed as she went to pay for her dress.

I really didn't feel like dress shopping but something compelled me to be here. I also didn't feel like heading off to another store so I decided to just look for something in my favorite color red or close to it. This was not going to be easy.

I went through all of the racks until I found one that caught my eye. It reminded me of something a Disney princess might wear in the movies. It made me think that maybe I could be a princess for one night and that my prince charming would pop in and rescue me from this nightmare.

"What did you find?" Kayla replied walking over to me.

"I found this red dress." I said picking it up.

"Oh my! That is beautiful. Alex, Nate would love you in that if he..." She stopped. It was like something was forcing her to say things she didn't want to say.

"I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?" Kayla asked shaking her head. I noticed Lyra was watching our every move.

"We were talking about you helping me find the right shoes." I said faking a smile.

After we bought our dresses and accessories, we grabbed some dinner and then Lyra dropped Kayla and I off. I went inside where my brother and sister were anxiously waiting for me.

"Let us see." Lizzie begged.

"Ok." I laughed taking the dress out of its hanging bag.

"Sweet. You wearing that would so look like a princess. Is Kayla wearing the same thing but a different color?" Will asked.

"No but I will give you a hint. It's green." I laughed as he ran upstairs to call Kayla.

"Are you going out again tonight?" Lizzie asked.

"I thought about taking a walk around the block." I said as I walked to my room.

"I heard some dogs barking or howling the other night. Please be careful." Lizzie said.

"I will." I said as I hugged my sister.