Time to Dance

Almost A Daughter

"Alexandra, what are you doing here and in Nate's bed? How did you...wait, nevermind I left the window unlocked." Erelin sighed. She looked so tired from not sleeping and all of the worry.

"I'm sorry, Aunt Erelin. I will just go now." I said so embarassed as I got up out of the bed.

"No. You can stay." She said sitting down on the bed and patting it for me to sit on.

"I know I should be in school but lately I haven't felt like staying and with mom in the hospital and dad missing I don't have anyone to turn to. Nate was my rock and I always came to him whenever something was on my mind. With him gone, I feel alone. I just thought that if I came here I would get a feeling of comfort." I replied as I sat back down on the bed.

"Well, you are wrong to ditch school. I know you are struggling with alot on your mind. I know its hard for you to make sure your brother and sister are taken care of and I am sure you aren't sleeping or eating well because of everything, am I right?" Erelin asked. I nodded my head.

"Come on let's head into the kitchen to talk some more and I will cook you up something nice to eat." She replied.

Out of all of my mom's friends, Erelin's food was the best. I loved eating over here. Dean's mom, made the best homemade mac and cheese but yeah next to my mom, Erelin served the best food and on top of that where could you find the best filipino food?

There was an awkward silence between us for a bit as I sat at the kitchen table where she was throwing something together. I sighed wishing I was still asleep at this moment. I couldn't figure out why though.

"I went and visited your mom this morning. The doctors still are in shock on how she healed from all of her injuries quickly. I think you know why as well as I do." Erelin said catching me off guard. No one has brought her healing up to me other then when me and Nate discussed it.

"Uh, ok, I crack because I can't take it anymore." I said. "Since I was six years old I have had nightmares about vampires and such. I used to sneak over here to Nate's room and he would talk to me and sleep on the floor as I slept in his bed. He was always there for me.

Ever since mom has been in the hospital and with my dad and Nate missing things have seemed so weird in this town. All of my friends even act strange as if everything is ok when it isn't. Kayla should be hit the hardest because Nate is her twin and she is acting as if he is ok. It doesn't add up.

You know what is funny? Nate before he disappeared, was the only one I told about what the doctors have said to me about mom's healing process. Even her right leg is healed. A broken leg usually heals in six weeks! With all the stories she told about her slaying, it made me wonder if she was still a slayer. Then I asked myself, could there still be vampires out there? On top of that, will I be a slayer too? I am so confused and scared. I don't have Nate here and I am sorry..." I said starting to cry. I just spilled everything that was on my mind and I didn't want to upset Erelin by bringing up Nate.

"Alex, it is ok." Erelin said giving me a hug.

"I didn't want to upset you by bringing up Nate." I said.

"Honey, it actually makes me feel better to know that someone else is thinking of him too." She smiled. "As you said, everyone else is acting strange. Even Brendon is acting weird and the cops seem not to be doing a better job of looking for him." She added.

"I miss him so much but I know you miss him more because he is your son. We just seemed to find each other if that makes sense and now everything has been taken away." I said.

"Let me tell you something. When Nate kicked you when he was still in my womb and I held you after you were born, I knew that there was going to be something special between you two. I have watched you two grow up together. You always were so close. I remember the time when he pushed you off the swings and it made you so mad." She laughed.

"I got him back too. I hid his favorite skateboard." I said remembering.

"You two were just kids and even though he did things to annoy you, he was there for you too. I knew all about you sneaking over, Alex. I was never mad. Nate made the mistake one time when you guys were eight about your nightmares. I was getting ready to head upstairs to bed but I wanted to check on Nate and I heard you two whispering. That is how I knew." Erelin said.

"Wow. I was so afraid that if you caught us that you wouldn't let us hang out anymore." I said.

"Honey, I know my son. When he started out dating, he could have any girl he wanted. He was like his father." She chuckled. "But you managed to reign him in. He only had eyes for you. You are already like a daughter to me and I trusted you both." Erelin said making me smile.

"Where is Brendon?" I asked noticing that he was not home.

"He is at some meeting to discuss things for his band." She said fixing me a plate of food that looked so good.

"Can I tell you something?" I asked.

"Sure." Erelin replied.

"I have a feeling that Brendon knows something about my father or Nate." I said.

"What makes you think that?" She asked.

I explained to her about seeing him out in the patio nervous right after my dad disappeared late at night when everyone was supposed to be sleeping. Then I told her about me waking up and looking over at Nate's window to find him in it packing a bag full of Nate's things. I then asked a big question, "What if Nate or my father, or both are alive but vampires?"
♠ ♠ ♠
For Erelin who is going crazy studying for finals. :)