Time to Dance

Only A Heartbeat Away

We all grabbed us a table after we voted for king and queen and then mingled with the rest of our friends. I went out with Kayla to the dancefloor and danced to some fast dances. When it came time for a slow dance I bailed back to my seat. Dean had disappeared on me and Kayla was dancing with Will. Nonnie looked happy dancing with Josh and I was happy for him to be here.

"Come dance with me, sis." Will said once the first slow song ended and another began.

"What? No, you and Kayla should be out there." I replied.

"It is just a dance and besides we need to talk." Will said as I got up and followed him to the floor.

"So what is it you want to talk about?" I asked.

"Where is that loser date of yours?" Will said looking around as we slow danced.

"I don't know. Maybe he found his loser new buddies." I said sighing.

"I know you are trying to have fun and I know you miss Nate. I am not stupid. I know you really cared about him." Will said.

"Sometimes you act more like a big brother then a baby brother." I smiled.

"It's my job. Besides, since I am the man of the house, it is my job to protect you and Lizzie. I just want to see that glow again that you used to have. Mom would be proud of you, Alexandra." Will said.

"Thanks, bro." I said hugging him.

The song ended and I found Kayla by the punch bowl. "Come on." I said grabbing her arm.

"What?" She replied.

"I have to go to the bathroom and I have no idea where it is. Us girls have to stick together you know so we don't look stupid when we can't find it." I said.

"No, so you don't look stupid and lost." She said laughing.

"Whatever." I said rolling my eyes.

We found the bathroom and it was so small which was a shock as big as this place is. There was even a line. When I went to wash my hands, Lyra came in a hurry.

"You won't believe what I just heard!" She exclaimed.

"What is is now, your date bailed on you?" Kayla asked rolling her eyes.

"No." Lyra said.

"The rumor is that you are officially seeing Dean again. Did he really ask you out?" Lyra asked.

"What? No. He barely has spoken to me since we grabbed a table. He took off, why?" I asked confused.

"Apparently, he has been telling everyone including his new friends that you are back together but the worst part is that he secretly rented a room here at the hotel for you and him." Lyra explained.

"He did what?!" I said marching out of the bathroom. Here I was thinking that Dean and I were cool as friends again.

"Now, Alex, don't do anything rash, ok?" Kayla said following behind me.

I looked around the room and found Dean sitting at a table with his buddies that he ditched us for that I thought he stopped hanging around. This was the final straw. How could he do this to me? I walked over to him and poked his shoulder.

"Can we talk?" I asked.

"Hey babe, I am kind of in the middle of something." Dean replied.

"Oh, it can wait. Actually, what I have to say, I think your new friends may want to hear." I said trying to be calm but my anger was trying to contain itself.

"Wow, Dean, you have a spitfire here don't you?" Jake replied.

"Can it meathead." I said.

"Ooh." I heard his friends reply.

"Alex, what is going on with you?" Dean asked.

"Oh, like you don't know? What is up with you telling everyone that we are a couple? And when were you planning on telling me that you had a room? You thought that I was going to sleep with you?" I said, anger boiling.

"You tell that slimeball." Kayla replied.

"Alex, let's think this through. People are starting to stare." Dean said.

"Good, you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Don't talk to me. Don't even look at me. Our friendship is through!" I said turning to leave.

"Alex, wait! I won't have you make a fool out of me!" Dean said grabbing my right arm. Like an instinct I swung around and without realizing my own strength I hit him in the jaw, hard with my left hand. Dean went down to the floor.

"What are you a freak?" Jake yelled.

I just ran until Will caught me. "Hey, where are you going, sis?" He asked.

"I want to go home." I said starting to cry.

"Will, Dean just did the most horriblest thing but you should have seen your sister. She kicked his ass." Kayla said.

"What happened?" Will said looking at me.

I couldn't tell him so as he led me back to our table, Kayla filled him in. He just sat in shock for a minute then I saw his hands ball into a fist. I just grabbed his hands.

"Don't. Don't add fuel to his fire." I said.

"Kayla, let's go get Alex some punch. Will you be alright?" Will replied.

"I guess." I said sitting at the table. Will put his hand on my shoulder then headed off with Kayla.

I sighed and felt tears start to roll. Then, my heart started to pound. I turned around as I felt this wonderful feeling come over me. Walking through the doors of the ballroom was none other then Nate.