Time to Dance

Keys

"Keys?" Nate replied as he sat on the couch with his laptop on his lap.

"Just toss me the keys to whatever is out there!" I yelled.

"Alex, what is going on?" Nate said sitting the laptop on the floor and coming over to me.

"I don't have time for this." I said.

"Alexandra, you are shaking. What happened? Did you dream again? Was it Dimitri?" Nate asked.

"I have to get to the hospital. Lyra is in danger. He is going to hurt her." I said.

"Alexandra, it isn't even nightfall. There are several hours of daylight left." Nate said.

"You don't understand. I know what I saw. If I don't get there before he does..." I trailed off.

"Follow me." Nate said leading me to the kitchen. "Here." He said pressing down on a certain part of the counter. Part of the kitchen counter gave way to a secret compartment.

"This is where all the keys are kept to anything. Take the Jeep." Nate said handing me the keys.

"What are these for?" I asked picking up some keys with my dad's clandestine symbol on them.

"Those are for later. This is for now." Nate said placing the keys into my hand. "I will be there first thing when it gets nightfall." He said kissing my forehead.

"How are you going to get to the hospital if I have the jeep?" I asked.

"Don't worry." He grinned. "Vampires are fast." He replied.

"Weapons. I need weapons." I said.

"I will bring a bag. Listen to me Alexandra. You have to be calm. I have blocked it out of your brother's and my sister's minds about last night until I can get there. It is out of Lyra and Josh's and practically the whole school. I made it as if a gang broke into the prom so that is the story. As for Chrissy and Andy, I want you to explain to them what is going on. If they don't believe you that is what these are for." Nate said flashing me his fangs.

"You are going to bite them?" I asked.

"No. I am going to give them proof that vampires are still real, silly." Nate laughed.

"I want them to leave town far away where Dimitri will not follow." I said.

"Alex, he will follow them eventually if he truly wants Lyra. He has his spies and he can always locate her. Them leaving will only be a temporary fix to the problem." Nate replied walking back into the living room.

"I have to do this." I said.

"I know you do." Nate said hiding away from the door as I opened it. I stepped outside into the warm sunshine and looked behind me. I wished Nate could be out here with me as beautiful as it was today.

"You will be fine." Nate said in my head.

It took me a minute to realize how he got into my head. I had forgotten that once a vampire bites you, they can talk to you in your thoughts. This could be a good thing or a bad thing.

I got into the jeep and started it up. I wanted to know what was hiding in the garage that Nate wouldn't let me see just yet. I would find out eventually.