Time to Dance

Distractions

It was now Monday afternoon. My birthday was on Friday. I hadn't spoke to Dean all day. It was odd for him not to be in class today. We shared the same Math class. Josh said that Dean wasn't feeling well.

"Earth to Alex. Hey, Alex. What are you doing?" Kayla said throwing wads of paper at me and whispering.

"Oh, uh, nothing." I said. "I was just thinking about the past weekend." I whispered.

"I know. It was fun, wasn't it?" She said.

"It isn't like Dean to miss school." I observed. "Maybe I should call him after school." I said.

"You know, I don't get why you are with him. Seriously, you could do so much better. You know Nate couldn't stop talking about you all weekend long to me and our parents. It made me want to gag." Kayla said.

"Oh, Kayla. We aren't into each other that way." I laughed but secretly wanting it to be true.

"You two looked pretty close to me with you falling asleep all over him." Kayla laughed.

"Imagine that. There's the bell." I said sighing a huge sigh of relief.

"You know, I never understood the concept of math. What is the point?" She said as we walked out into the hall.

"I don't know." I laughed.

"I mean seriously, when I am a huge rockstar, am I really going to use math? No. It is a waste of my time." She said as we walked to our locker.

"You are something else." I laughed.

"How come you quit the band? You never did give me and Nate a valid reason." Kayla pressed.

"I guess I didn't have time for it this year with school." I said.

"You have a great voice though and you can play an acoustic guitar really well." Kayla replied.

"Kayla, I just feel that even though I love music, my life is meant to be elsewhere. I can't explain it. Can we drop it now?" I asked. "I mean my dad wants me to be happy and said he would support me but maybe I would feel like I am living in his shadow or something." I said getting my books for our class after lunch.

"Your dad played bass and screamed in a band called Fall Out Boy. No, there is no pressure there. It would be totally opposite. You are a girl and sing, not scream. Plus, you know how to play the bass well, but it is not your preferred instrument. I think you even write lyrics way better then your dad." Kayla said grabbing her books.

"Thanks for the encouragement but lets just drop it ok." I said.

We made our way to the cafeteria and sat in our usual seats. Josh, Will, me, Nate, Olivia, Kayla, and Lyra all shared the same table. We were lucky to have the same lunch period together.

"So, Lyra, have you thought about who you are taking to prom?" Josh asked.

"Why Josh, are you asking me?" Lyra asked. She had all the guys after her and sometimes she could act like a diva.

"Maybe." He said.

"Sorry, but I don't take underclassmen." Lyra replied.

"Man, that was harsh." Olivia replied as I stole some french fries off Nate's plate.

"Hey, I was just asking as a friend if you didn't have anyone else and I am only a year younger mind you." Josh said pissed.

"I will keep you in mind." She said.

"Someone is a diva today." I said trying to bring her ego back down.

"Oh, sorry." Lyra said realizing she was acting out.

"Do you want to go grab a burger after school?" Nate whispered in my ear.

"Well, I wanted to check up on Dean if that was ok." I replied.

"Oh." Nate said dejectedly.

"But afterwards I would love to." I said as his face lit up.