Time to Dance

It's All About Family

"Dad, talk to me." I said breaking the silence.

"Alex, I bit your mother several times when she was pregnant with you." Dad began to say.

"Yeah but how could that have anything to do with what happened to me back there?" I asked as Dad got out of the car.

"Because Alex, I wasn't myself. Even your mother couldn't help me at times." Dad said slamming his car door.

"I always worried once I was myself again and even after I was human again. I never let your mother know my fears but then she never let me know hers either so I guess we were even. It was my job to protect you and your mother and it looks like I have failed you both." He said kicking the tire.

"You're not making any sense!" I said walking over to him.

"Alex you really don't know who you are dealing with." Dad frowned.

"Then tell me what I am dealing with!" I screamed.

"Dracula was the first enemy. You remember him right?" Dad replied.

"From the stories and flashes of dreams I have, yes."

"And you remember Volkmar?" Dad asked.

"He is the one who bit you and wanted mom for revenge." I nodded.

"Volkmar was Dracula's brother. Even though he was younger then him he was still just as ruthless and dangerous. There was something about him that made anyone he bit go crazy except your mother. I wasn't myself. This wasn't like when Dracula had bitten my friend William who turned me the first time.

Volkmar had me almost lose it. It was a daily struggle with who and what I was. I didn't even know who I was at first until your mother brought me back but even then I would slip. The monster in me craved your mother's blood and won." He said looking ashamed.

"But this still doesnt make sense. Wasn't Aunt Erelin turned too by him? She was fine wasn't she?"

"Not at first. She fought it hard and won unlike me with the help of Brendon and your mother. After I was myself again I always wondered if I was hurting you. I knew that your mother was the slayer so her abilities were protecting you too. But I was draining her blood and pretty much sucking her life away which included you. I always wondered if I caused you some sort of damage. I was never more relieved when I saw you in the delivery room normal and healthy." Dad smiled as he recalled the memory of seeing me born.

"Are you saying that you caused this? You caused me to become a freak cause dad that's just not possible." I said.

"It is. I have more to tell you. I left not only to find Kat and try to save her but I stayed away to protect you when I was turned again. Dimitri turned me sweetheart and he turned Nate. I shouldn't be around you. I'm like a homing beacon sort of. You see Dimitri is Dracula and Volkmar's younger brother. He has been waiting all this time for you. His revenge against your mother and me is for you to become his and I implanted something so terrible in you that came from Volkmar for this day if something should ever have happened to him. That is how I know what just happened in the woods. My worst fear has come true." Dad said.

"So like what am I? I'm not half vampire because then wouldn't apart of me want blood and all that crap?"

"You aren't half a vampire. You are human with tendencies for the other side. Family was always Dracula's thing. And the slayer was to become part of that family one way or the other. Volkmar made sure he would have that family one way or the other." Dad said kicking the car again.

"Dad, I have been up against Dimitri before when I first met him and at prom. Why didn't I act this way then?" I asked.

"Me. I was around you and he sensed that. You acted that way because of that. I knew I shouldn't have come back. It's like I am bringing you to Dimitri against my will." He said.

"Damn it!" He yelled.

"Dad, I think you might be right on one thing which is when you bit mom when she was carrying me, but you leading Dimitri to me isn't possible. It was like a switch went off in me. I became different. I don't blame you dad and I don't want you to leave me. We can get through this but only if you stay." I said grabbing dad and hugging him with tears in my eyes.

"I want you to train me starting tomorrow." I said as I walked back to my side of the car.

"How about now?" Dad asked.

"Now is good." I said sensing three vampires who wondered into our area.