Time to Dance

Freak

(Nate's POV)

It had been a few hours since I had to bite Dean. Erelin made everyone leave to give Joe and Bev some privacy to be with their son. Josh stayed and waited along with me in the waiting room. I was getting worried. I couldn't seem to connect with Alex all night and I thought I had gotten all the silver out of Dean's bloodstream but he hadn't made any sign of recovery yet. There was also the fact that sunrise was in an hour and a half. Where could Alex and Pete be?

Just as I took out my cell phone, I felt Alex enter the hospital. I got up and headed towards the emergency department to meet her since that was the only way in the hospital late at night. I could start to feel that Alex wasn't happy. In fact, I was sensing she was upset about something.

"Alex?" I replied as I turned a corner and saw both her and Pete.

"How's Dean?" Pete asked as Alex looked a little banged up.

"I think I got all of the silver out. He's not dying but he isn't reacting to anything. He is barely holding on still." I said.

"Alex, I am going to go see them then head out." Pete said looking at Alex.

"Your leaving?" She asked finally speaking.

"The sun is going to rise soon but I won't be far." Pete replied kissing his daughters forehead and then hurrying upstairs.

"Your hurt." I said noticing the cut on Alex's bottom lip and the bruise on her face. Her left arm looked banged up as well.

"I couldn't kill Jake. I wanted to so bad. I can't explain it but part of me couldn't do it. It felt right and wrong. And I failed. I couldn't save Dean." Alex began to cry.

"Hey, he's going to be ok. I know he will be. I did my job. It wasn't your fault." I said comforting her and running my hand through her hair.

"Something is different now Nate. Something lurks inside me that I can't control. I'm dangerous to be around." Alex said pushing me away.

"Does this have something to do with me not able to feel you tonight?" I asked.

"You couldn't feel me?" She asked with hurt in her eyes.

"No. It was like one minute I could sense you and then the next nothing. It scared me. I tried to talk to you through our thoughts but there was nothing. I just knew that something had gone wrong and I was to bite Dean." I said trying to get Alex to walk with me.

"I became something tonight, Nate. It felt as if I wasn't me; like I was gone. I wanted to kill Jake with such a passion but I knew it was wrong as I tried to fight my way back. Dimitri and his men entered the woods where we found Jake and his guys. I started to go towards him. I wanted to be with him." She whispered as though she was ashamed.

"What stopped you?" I asked.

"Dad." Alex replied. "But I feel this new presence as I am calling it lurking and waiting to come out again and I fear no one will be able to stop it. I had a taste. I wanted to be with Dimitri like he was my home. I belonged with him. That never happened at prom other then him trying to control me. This was something different." She said as tears started to form.

"Come here." I said pulling her close. "Nothing is going to happen to you. I promise." I said as I leaned in to whisper in her ear.

"Dad believes it is his fault. He wanted to leave me but he couldn't. He blames himself. Dad thought that this has something to do with him biting my mom when she was pregnant with me. Dad wasn't himself the last time he was a vampire according to everyone who has told us the story. He thinks it was a gift from Volkmar so that I might be a part of the vampire family." Alex sobbed.

"How did you get all the cuts and bruises?" I asked as I raised her chin up a bit and noticed that her wounds were healing up nicely.

"Dad told me his theory on what happened to me after he pulled over to the side of the road and then we were ambushed by vampires." She said wiping her tears. "I'm a freak." She sighed.

"Alexandra you listen to me." I scolded. "You are not a freak and even if you were, I would still die to protect you. We will figure this out together." I said squeezing her hand as we walked to the elevators.

"You should go rest. It's almost daylight." Alex said.

"I will be fine." I replied.

"No. I want to be alone to think right now and see how Dean is doing." Alex said stepping into the elevator.

"I love you." I said as I leaned in to kiss her goodbye.

"I know." She half smiled.