Time to Dance

Amateurs

"Wait! There's dad's car across the street!" I yelled as we drove by our school.

"I don't see them. Maybe they are still inside the building. I mean do you feel anything?" Kayla asked me.

"No." I said slouching in my seat as Nate pulled up in front of my mom's SUV.

"I feel no vampires outside here anyway." I sighed.

"Maybe you were wrong then this time." Nate said reaching for my hand.

"Maybe but when have I been wrong about these things. I mean dad, mom, you..." I trailed.

"Kayla stay here and keep the doors locked." Nate said getting out of the car. "Oh and duck down out of sight." He added.

"Like I would leave my door unlocked dear brother for all the vamps to come and get me." Kayla rolled her eyes.

"What if they got busted? Maybe that is the bad feeling I have. Maybe security got ahold of them." I said as we walked to the front entrance of the school.

"I think your dad would have pursuaded the cops or security guards that they didn't see them." Nate tried to reassure me.

"I think we should split up. You head to the right of the building and I head to the left and we meet in the middle which would be the back of the building. Check all of the windows to see if dad busted his way in somehow that way." I replied.

"No. I'm not leaving you. What if Dimitri..." I hushed Nate with a kiss.

"You thought I was wrong this time, remember and I feel no vamps out here. Could be a few inside with our family but no worries right?" I smiled and took off leaving him there to ponder. I had my trusty stakes that we brought along in my pockets of my jacket and pants.

I took out my cell phone and dialed my dad's number. I still had no answer just as when I dialed it in the car. I called my brother's cell and had no answer there either. I made it to the back of the building after carefully inspecting all the doors and windows on the first floor that I was to inspect. I started to have that feeling again only this time it was vampires.

I heard voices and followed my instinct. Over on the football field was about twenty vampires who all looked like regular teenagers. There was one who was barking orders or something at them all. These weren't your typical vampires who worked for Dimitri or was under his control. I tried to hide behind a bush as I got closer so I could listen in.

"Do you hear something?" One vampire replied.

"Nah, probably just the wind. This school out here at night is pretty spooky." Another vampire replied.

"What's a matter? You guys aren't afraid are you? We are vampires. People are the ones afraid of us not us afraid of things." The leader laughed as he inspected his group of vampires.

"We're going to take over this town. I'm beginning to like L.A." He grinned.

I tried to hold it in but I sneezed. Crap there goes my hiding spot. I peeked through the bush again to see the leader sniff the air.

"Boys, I believe we have ourselves a girl and a slayer at that!" He said charging the field towards my location with his vampires in tow.

I took off running back towards the backside of the school. I pulled on every door to find it locked. How did my dad get Josh and Will into the school? I could have broken the lock on the door but I still wouldn't have made it very far. I was trapped like a rat and up against the wall.

"Well, what do we have here?" The leader said as I was surrounded.

"She's pretty Jace." One vampire replied.

"You aren't supposed to call me that!" He snapped.

Jace, the leader looked to be no more then 17 but I am sure he was older then that. His vampire crew looked young too. I was still trying to figure out how I was going to get myself out of this mess.

"Sorry boss." The vampire who said Jace's name replied.

"So I finally meet a slayer huh?" Jace replied looking me over.

"Yup. That's me." I said slowly reaching for my back pocket.

"What are you doing out here?" He asked.

"I could say the same for you." I replied not afraid. In fact I looked at this as a challenge.

"You are pretty, I give you that. Sorry I have to kill you though." Jace said smiling with extra white teeth.

"You might want to take a number. You see there is this leader vampire in town. Maybe you have heard of him. He goes by the name of Dimitri and he wants me as his bride so you might want to back off if you know what is good for you." I said hoping to buy me some time to figure out how to get out of this.

"Dimitri?" Jace spat.

"Yeah, I take it you know him?" I asked.

"Yeah, he's the one who turned me. Didn't know he was in town." Jace replied.

"Well, apparently he has it out for slayers." I said.

"I think I am going to have to give him a run for his money. You see I am going to be the new leader in town." Jace grinned.

"Please. Your just an amateur." I laughed.

"You think so?" He said flashing his fangs.

I whipped out my stake from my back pocket. I could take down a few but other then that I wasn't sure. All I know was that I was really outnumbered. Where was Nate? He was supposed to meet me back here.

"Get her!" Jace yelled.

I started fighting off the vampires. I managed to kill three before almost getting knocked down to the ground. I felt a good presence and looked up to see Nate on the second floor roof just as two vampires were about to grab me. "Alex!" Nate yelled.