Time to Dance

When The Hunger Sets In

(Josh's POV)

I awoke scared, and hungry. I couldn't remember who I was or where I was. I looked around to find that I was in an alley somewhere. I could feel the sun was going to rise in a few hours. I needed to find shelter but I couldn't explain why.

I kept seeing short flashes as I walked away from the alley and out into the city. I kept hearing a girl screaming too in my thoughts. I shook my head and proceeded down the sidewalk. A few homeless people were out on the street but as soon as they saw me, they ran. A part of me wanted to chase them, like I wanted to kill them. I felt this need, this hunger for their blood. What am I?

I took off running and found that I had incredible speed. My hunger started to grow and one name came to mind. Nonnie.

I took off toward's this Nonnie girl's house. I remembered her vaguely. I knew I cared about her and maybe she could help take this pain and hunger away. I found her bedroom and knocked on the window until her light came on.

"Josh?" This Nonnie girl replied as she peered through her blinds not getting a good look at me.

"Nonnie?" I asked as she moved the blinds to open her window.

"Do you realize what time it is?" She asked having trouble opening her window.

"Will you let me in?" I asked her.

"Josh, I'm trying to get the window..." She said before stopping.

"You....you! No!" Nonnie screamed.

"Nonnie, wait! I need help!" I said.

"Get away from my house!" She screamed. I heard the neighborhood dogs start to bark and what appeared to be her parents running to her room. I took off into the shadows with my hunger growing stronger.

Another name popped into my head. Lyra Hurley. I took off to her place realizing that the sun would now be up in an hour. My head was still confused and fuzzy.

I made it to this Lyra girl's house and jumped up on the roof to her bedroom window on the second floor. She had a little balcony and sliding doors. I knocked on them.

"Listen Nate or Dean this better be an emergency for waking my ass up at this time of night." I heard a sleepy Lyra say as she made it to the sliding doors.

"Lyra, I need your help." I said as she opened her doors to peek her head out.

"Josh? What are you doing here? How did you?" She stopped.

"Lyra, I need help? What am I?" I said coming towards her but I was blocked.

"Your a vampire!" She gasped as I accidently slid my fangs out. I had fangs.

"I'm hungry, Lyra." I said.

"Stay away from me." She said backing up.

"Lyra you know me. Your name popped up in my head. Help me. I don't remember and the sun is coming up and..." I said as she walked back over to the doors again.

"Your eyes. Josh, I invite you in." She said as I stepped through the glass doors and into her home. Soon the hunger would stop.