Sequel: Friendly Affair

Public Affair

Public Affair

"Oh fuck,” Cory took a deep breath and looked over. “Zack, call an ambulance!”

“Yeah,” He nodded and ran to find the phone.

“Now, Alex,” She looked back at me. “Take a deep breath and close your eyes.”

"Alex I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to stress—" Jimmy started to panic as he grabbed my hand and held it tight.

"Shut up," I growled as I kicked his shin with what energy I did have. "You," I took a deep breath. "Didn't do it."

"Breathe evenly Alex, you're going to have a panic attack if you don't," Brian instructed. "Remember when you were eleven and you're mom helped you get through the attack, one hand over you're heart, close you're eyes and count you're intakes to slow you're heart beat."

"I need Matt,” I nodded and counted in my head.

“He’s not here, babe,” Cory said softly. “Brian will have to do for now.”

“Great,” I mumbled and counted more.

"I'm offended," Brian mocked hurt and kissed my forehead. "Breathe and it'll be okay."

"Ambulance is on its way, what's happening?" Zacky ran back in and nearly bowled over Johnny. "Alex are you okay?"

"Chest," was all I could say without forgetting where I was at counting.

56, 57, 58—Pain—a lot of pain.

"Just breathe,” He said as I nodded and my vision blurred.

“Mother-“I mumbled before passing out.

-----Cory-----

“Alex!” I screamed as she fell into Brian’s arms.

"Shit!" Brian yelled and held her up with Zacky's help. "Alex wake up, Alex!"

"Someone check her heart beat!" I screamed as I held my stomach, trying not to faint out of freight myself.

"It's really low!" Johnny looked pale as the white walls surrounding us all, slowly closing in. "It's getting slower guys."

"Oh no,” I shook my head and held it, Zacky looking up from Alex and over to me.

“Cory,” He said softly. “Don’t stress yourself.”

“I-I-I-“I stuttered. “I’m going to faint.”

“What?” He panicked. “Don’t you faint, too?”

"Do you have to do everything together?" Brian nearly growled as Jimmy held me up slightly. "I mean Jesus Christ I'm panicking about one woman I don't need it to be two."

"I can't help it," I gasped for air. "She's dying."

"Don’t say that,” Brian glared at me.

“It’s true,” I mumbled. “Her heart rate is dropping by the minute. The baby is done. She’s done.”

“Don’t fucking say that!” Brian screamed as I closed my eyes and leaned back on Jimmy.

“Shit, did she faint?” Jimmy screamed as my hearing faded.

-----Brian-----

"God!" I screamed as I punched the concrete wall, we were finally at the hospital, stuck in the waiting room with other sorrow filled parents and loved ones. Matt had just arrived and was freaking out, so bad that Jimmy had to punch him in the face, of course that didn't help, so he went running to the nurse and asked a million questions that they wouldn't answer.

All we knew was the baby was fine but no news on the mother—Alex, my Alex.

Yes my Alex, I love her, I still do but she was always my best friend when we were little, she was always branded Brian's Alex in school, she liked it. Matt was her bodyguard, Jimmy was her piggyback, Johnny was her jokester, and Zacky was her laid back talker, I was her strength, her rock. And now I can't be there for her, or Matt. And it's killing us all.

As for Cory, she woke up and started freaking out, Zacky has been holding her ever since. Crying with her.

"She has to be okay!” Cory cried out in the middle of the waiting room, sobbing into Zacky’s shoulder as he cried in her hair.

“Cory,” I grabbed her one hand and looked her dead in the eye. “Calm down, okay? Everything will be fine, everything as to be fine. Just stop crying, alright? I’ll have to knock some sense back into you to doubt Alex’s will to live.”

“Alright, Brian,” She nodded slowly. “I love you.”

It’s been a long time since I’ve heard those words. It felt amazing again…

"I love you too, now calm down or you'll have Matt bawling again, and I think Jimmy hurt his hand punching him last time," I joked to get Zacky's glare off me, he sure had gotten overly protective, but I can't blame him. I really did fuck up everything that once.

Not anymore though, never again.

"Al-" she hiccupped "Right."

"Good girl," I smiled as I glanced at Matt, who was red in the face and trying to get through to the old bat nurse that he needed to just know if she was alive. "I'll be right back."

"Where are—" she hiccupped again. "You going?"

"To Matt," I nodded towards Matt.

"Oh,” She said softly and hiccupped once more.

“Matt,” I put my hand on his shoulder. “Just let the doctors and nurses do their job. Calm down, alright?”

“Okay,” Matt exhaled deeply and walked back down to the seats, taking one next to Cory and Zack. I smiled slightly and sat at her other side.

“Can I-“Hiccup. “Sleep? Will-“Hiccup. “You wake me if you-“Hiccup. “Get any news?”

“Alright,” Zacky nodded as he kissed her forehead and she closed her eyes.

Hiccup.

Everyone laughed slightly as she mumbled something and fell asleep. A few hours later, I was the only one left, watching Cory sleep. She was so beautiful, Alex too. I fucked up so bad though. My two dream girls in the arms of my best friends.

“You fuck up, Brian,” I said softly and went to touch Cory’s cheek, Zack growling.

“Don’t touch her.”

"I know she's yours," I whispered as I looked up at Zacky. "I was just—thinking."

"Well think with you're hand off my girlfriend, please," he snapped, I nodded and let his anger go since we were all kind of scared shitless and on the edge of a cliff full of nerves and emotions.

"Sorry," I whispered as I heard a door open, I glanced up and seen a doctor walking straight towards us. "Guys."

Matt was up in a flash, though he looked half asleep he was by the doctor before Jimmy and Johnny could open their eyes. "How is she? Please tell me she's okay, please tell me my baby's okay."

My baby, but its all the same I guess now.

"Mr. Sanders?" the doctor asked towards Matt, he nodded eagerly and waited for the doctor to continue. "Miss Dallas is alive, but she's very weak and we have to make sure she makes it through the night, the baby came early. She's been delivered and in the nursery upstairs on the third floor, she's in the ICU because she's so little, being born so early that is. She weights three pounds and thirteen ounces."

"Oh shit,” He said softly and nodded. “Can we see either of them?”

“Not until tomorrow, I’m afraid,” The doctor murmured solemnly. “But we’ll get you in the morning when Miss Dallas is up.”

“Alright, thank you,” Matt nodded as the doctor walked away. “Alex safe. My baby is safe. Thank god.”

“Yeah,” I said slowly and looked down to Cory.

“Babe,” I whispered in her ear, Zack glaring at me. I brushed it off and continued. “Cory, babe, Alex is going to be okay.”

“Is she?” She mumbled with her eyes still closed. “That’s… great.”

“Yeah, the doctor will let us visit her in the morning,” I added.

“Okay,” She nodded slowly. “Wake me then.”

“Will do,” I smiled. “Go back to sleep, Cory.”

“Alright, Brian Bear,” She half giggled and half snored

"What is it with her and Alex about calling me Brian Bear? It makes no sense," I mumbled as I stood back up, Matt chuckled and Zacky just plainly glared at me. "Chill Zacky, I told you already."

"I don't trust you," he said plainly as he walked over to Cory and picked her up. "I'm going to see if the nurses can supply a cot for Cory, Jimmy come help me."

"Alright," Jimmy glanced at me then back to Zacky.

"It's alright man," Matt clipped my arm as he swatted at me. "I trust you now because I know that Alex only loves you like a friend."

Gee thanks Matt.

"Yeah," I nodded

"Cory, too,” He added.

Way to crush my hopes and dreams.

"Matt, why does Zack have to be so overprotective of Cory?" I asked softly.

"Because he knows that you love her more than life," he said sarcastically as he flopped out on a couch/chair. "So he's protecting her feelings."

"But I know how she feels; I won't do anything stupid, not again."

"I know you won't, but Zacky will hold that grudge until you have proven yourself worthy."

-----Alex-----

I slowly blinked the sleep from my eyes and glanced around the dark lit room, white walls, white cabinets, white sheets, and white gown. Needle in the arm, beeping monitor. Yep I'm in a hospital. I rolled my eyes and smiled suddenly, my chest didn't hurt. That's always a good sign if I wake up alive and have no pain, I glanced down at my stomach for a minute and my heart monitor started flipping out. "Elliot, where's Elliot! Matt!" I screamed

I didn't hear anything, had everyone just left me. Was Elliot dead because of my heart condition? Oh God, what if my baby, my daughter was dead because of me? "Matt!" I screamed crying as I hid my face in my hands, fucking hospitals are supposed to be loaded with people, why no one has come yet, I'll never know.

"Brian," I tried one last hope until I heard my boy's screaming.

"Let me the fuck back there!" Matt's voice roared as I continued crying, suddenly a nurse ran in and nearly covered me holding me down as I jerked around.

"Where is my baby? Where's Matt! Let me go!" I screamed as another doctor ran in with a needle. "No! Matt! Brian!"

"I'm coming baby!" Matt screamed and I could hear the rest of them screaming about letting them back.

"Calm down Alex! We're right here!" Brian yelled. "I swear you're fine!"

"Where's my baby!" I cried as I let them hold me still, while they put the needle in my IV drip. "Please just tell me," the tears rolled down my face. "Where's my baby." I screamed in the doctor's face. "Fucking tell me something!"

"Calm down!” Matt yelled. “She’s fine! She’s in the ICU!”

“Let us fucking back there!” Cory screamed louder than the crowd as everyone became silent. “Please.”

I couldn't say anything, I was crying so hard nothing came out, just silence as the nurses let go and the doctor's checked my chest and my blood pressure and all kind of things. "Matt," I just wanted Matt, fucking doctors. "I want Matt."

"Baby," Matt ran through the door and nearly pushed a nurse out of his way, he collapsed on the bed and pulled me into his arms.

"They wouldn't tell me anything," I cried. "They wouldn't tell me a fucking thing! I thought she was dead, no one would talk to me, and they just put something in my IV."

"What the fuck," I heard Zacky mutter. "They fucking drug her to shut her up instead of explaining?"

"Matt, please tell me she's okay," I whispered clutching his shoulders, almost ripping his shirt. "Tell me my baby is alive."

"She's okay, she's alive," he whispered kissing my head twice. "I swear, they told us she's in the nursery on the forth floor."

"Oh god,” I smiled softly through tears. “I’m a mom. You’re a dad. Brian-“

“I’m a dad, too,” He nodded with teary eyes.

“Don’t cry, Brian,” Cory frowned and pulled him into a hug.

"I'm a dad," he whispered and looked at me over Cory's shoulder, he smiled and laughed. "I'm a fucking dad."

"Feels better than you thought doesn't it?" Matt laughed as he wiped the tears from my eyes. "Feels amazing."

"I love it," he laughed. "I can't wait to see her."

"Me either," I whispered as Matt pulled me back into a hug. "I love you."

"I love you, too,” He said softly and kissed my ear.

-----Brian-----

“Awww,” Cory pulled away from Brian and giggled.

“What?”

“You guys are so cute,” She smiled and turned to Zacky. “Just think, in three months, that’ll be us.”

“Yeah,” He kissed her forehead. “And I can’t wait.”

I glanced at Cory with saddened eyes before looking over to Alex and teared up. "I'm going to go call Joel and Benji; they wanted to know when you had the baby."

"Are you alright Brian?" Alex asked softly as she sat up some, I nodded and looked up.

"I'm fine, happy," I smiled softly. "Perfect then."

"Come here," she whispered and waved me over, I glanced at Matt and he nodded. "I want you to come here now."

"Alright," I whispered as I walked over and sat on the other side of her; she pulled me to her chest and kissed my temple. I closed my eyes and listened to her heart beat. Perfect and even.

"Thank you Brian," she whispered as she kissed my head again. "You've always been my best friend."

"You’re welcome,” I nodded. “Very welcome.”

“Okay,” She sighed. “That’s what I had wanted. Now go call Benji and Joel.”

“Alright,” I nodded and walked off to find a phone.

-----Alex-----

“Guys,” Cory looked around. “Does Brian seem… Off?”

"No offence Matt," Zacky held his hand up suddenly. "But I think he's falling for Alex again, because he's been looking at her like he's dying inside and he's been touching Cory's face while she was sleeping in the waiting room."

"He wouldn't," I shook my head. "He's probably upset because he has a daughter that he has to share with another man."

"I don’t think it’s that,” Zacky said softly and looked at Matt. “C’mon.”

“Okay,” He nodded and followed Zack out to the hallway.

-----Matt-----

“Matt, man,” Zacky rubbed the back of his neck and sighed. “Brian’s still in love with them.”

"I know," I cleared my throat and stuck my hands in my pockets. "But they love us, they know that we want to be with them and we'd do anything for them."

"I know, but I can't help but think Cory still, loves him, loves him you know?" Zacky shrugged his shoulders. "I love her."

"I love Alex," I admitted the obvious. "But hell, they love us just as much you know."

"I know," Zacky nodded slowly. "I'm going to ask Cory to marry me."

"Knock yourself out man, I've already asked Alex."

"And?"

"She said yes, last night. I wasn't supposed to tell anyone until I had gotten the ring, but surprise."

"Oh,” He said. “Is that why she got nervous? Because she was going to tell us, but got scared cause Brian was there?”

“Probably,” I sighed. “But don’t tell anyone that I proposed, okay?”

“Yep,” He nodded and took a deep breath. “I’m ready.”

“For what?”

‘I’m asking Cory now.”

"Don't do it in front of Brian, you may not trust him but let's not upset him," I said softly holding him back. "Do it privately."

"I'm mad at him man, but I'm not that cruel when he's been nothing but good since last time," Zacky shook his head. "I'll go whisper it to her."

"Okay,” I nodded as we walked back into the room. Brian was back and sitting on the edge of Alex’s bed.

“Corrine,” Zacky walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, resting his chin on her shoulder.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

comment