Status: Erratic updates, but please coments and I'll do my best to update

The Blessing and the Blessed

Land Ho!

It was early evening and a bunch of the crew were sitting on the deck relaxing. A few crew members and I were playing music to pass the time. At the moment, Jasper and I were having a fiddle off. We played as fast and long as we could, the first to screw up was the loser and had to do the other's chores. The other members cheered as the music got faster with each stroke of our bows. Giant grins spread across Jasper and my face as adrenaline pumped through us and sang with the music, however tonight was not mine and I lost.With one quick stroke, one of my strings snapped, sending my bow flying. "Shit!" I exclaimed as Nicoli ducked so he wouldn't get hit with a flying projectile. Everyone burst out laughing.
"Be careful, lad. That coulda taken off me head." He laughed, handing me the bow.
"Thank you Nicoli. Damn I was so close." I sighed as I ran my fingers through the bottom half of my hair, the part not under my cap.
"No worries Al, if it wasn't for the string ye woulda had me." Jasper grinned.
"I don't know about that. I'm but a young pup with little experience next to you."
"Aye laddie. Ye be what half me age? Ye'll be as great as me one day." He ruffled up my hair ans sat down to play more music.
"Hey!" I complained , trying to keep my cap from falling off. The others once again laughed and then went back to merry making. I shook my head and looked down at my fiddle; I internally groaned. Now I was going to have to get it fixed... and do extra chores.
I weaved my way through the crew and headed to the stairs for the upper deck. "Land Ho! Pandora Bay Ahead!" Lions' voice stopped me in my tracks. I spun 90degrees and saw everyone head to the bow of the ship. I gently laid my fiddle down and ran to join the others. I climbed up on top of the rail and held onto the ropes so I wouldn't fall overboard.
Spades grinned and called, "We be docking tonight boys!" Looking through the spyglass he calculated, "We have about two hours until we dock. Get to!" The ship exploded with men getting the ship ready. I swiftly put my fiddle away and helped where I was needed. I was so excited to see people other than my crew mates.
~
Once we anchored the ship and secured her, Spades assigned four men to stand guard. "Knives, Haze, Swift John, and Nix stay on board. Ye be relieved in a few hours. " The men groaned, but only one complained.
"Why do we have to stay? Why can't the bitch do it?" Knives snarled.
Normally I wouldn't care, if asked nicely I would have stayed. However, Knives was pissing me off so I didn't volunteer to take first guard duty. Sorry Haze, Swift John, and Nix, Knives ruined it for you. "Because I said so." Spades voice lowered dangerously. "Do ye have a problem with that?" Murder shown in his eyes.
Knives begrudgingly replied, "Nay, sir."
"Good." Spades turned, "Let's go boys!" The others followed after Spades smiling and cheering. I could tell they were going to have fun tonight. I stayed behind a bit to apologize to the others.
"Sorry yer stuck with watch."
"No worry lad, better us than you with Knives." Haze grinned as the others nodded. I gave them a swift nod and then followed the quickly fading party of pirates. Instead of heading to the tavern with everyone else, I took a left to the gypsy camp.
"Mow." I looked down to find Sarge padding next to me.
"Not going to follow everyone else?" He looked up at me expectingly. I chuckled and picked him up. "Happy?" He purred a confirmation.
It was dark when I entered the camp, but people were still milling about. "Al, that you?" asked one of the adult males.
"Aye, sir." I waved.
"The Scourge docked at Pandora Bay then?" Another asked.
"Aye. I don't know for how long though." The camp quickly started buzzing with excitement. I was soon forgotten as the word spread that the pirates were back in town. I continued on my way and knocked on the door I was looking for.
"I'm coming." An old, but wise voice called. "What do ye want? Oh Al, didn't expect ye to be there."
"Hello, Madam Clear." I smiled.
"Well come in, child. Who is yer friend?" She asked as she ushered me to the closest chair.
"This be Sarge, he was a stow away after we got in a skirmish with the Navy. The crew and I convinced Captain to let us keep him." I patted Sarge affectionately.
"Hmmm." Madam Clear picked him up with a minor protest from the relaxing kitten. She gazed at him intently and he stared right back. "He'll be a great guardian. He'll protect you." She finally said. She placed him in her lap and stroked him. "How's pirate life?"
I slumped back in the chair and slipped off mu cap. "Exhausting. If I aint fighting with Captain over food or coffee, which he is addicted to!, then I be butting heads with someone else."
"Is that 'someone' the one who bruised yer neck?"
"Aye, Knives got pissed at me." Sarge hissed at the mere mention of his name.
"Ye need to be careful, Al. They are not only men, but pirates. They may take care of this bay, but they are ruthless and will snap yer neck."
"I know." I muttered as my eyes dropped to the dirt floor.
"Also, yer roots are showing and the sun's bleaching the black."
I looked over at the mirror on the wall to see white roots peaking above my black/grey hair. "Damn, do you have anymore dye?"
"Yer in luck, I have a little left." She gathered Sarge in her arms and retrieved the bottle of dye. "Ye know where the stream is, just be careful." I thanked her, got an extra pair of clothes, soap, towel, and headed towards the stream. I carefully climbed down some rocks and looked at the moon lit stream. I smiled at how peaceful the place was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update, yay! I should be working on my presentation about bloodletting, but I have three more days, a little writing won't kill me ^_^ Cheers!